Slightly different Case Design

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Slightly different Case Design

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:34 pm

I'm always trying to think of different ways to organize a PC case to fit my needs. Here's some needs I was looking at:

- Must fit a full ATX motherboard.
- Make it as small as possible. No huge towers!
- Effecient air flow.
- Filter intake if possible.

I was looking at my current case and noticed that it's slightly wider than some. But it doesn't really take much more space. There are two 80mm exhaust fans next to the pci slots. I was thinking that a PSU is only slightly wider than an 80mm fan. So if you put a PSU on the side and down at the bottom, that would shrink the height of the case while not making it much wider. I thought about it and came up with my new idea.

** Warning ** Cheap MS Paint drawings below....

There are other cases that put the PSU on the side like that for a shorter ATX case. But they usually put it next to the back plate right over the CPU. That doesn't leave any room for an exhaust fan meaning the PSU has to exhause all the heat from the case and limits the CPU HS height. My idea puts the PSU at the bottom of the case where more cool air is. If you're using a bottom mounted PSU, it also will allow for some cooling of PCI devices like video. Although with a hot GPU or SLI, you could still be pumping some hot air through the PSU. But I don't ever expect to be implementing any high end graphics setups myself.

Like many cases, it has a nice big 120mm fan in the normal position for exhaust. But since the case is shorter, this will be getting rid of all the hot air that's rising up which normally runs into the PSU.

Since the case is a little wider, I was also hoping I could make it a little bit shorter on the depth as the CD/DVD drives would be over far enough that they won't interfere with the memory. As long as the CPU is far enough back, this shouldn't be a problem.

The door would keep dust from getting in through the drives. Again, since it's wider, I was also thinking it would be cool to make the door slide into the case when it's open.

The rest of the front below the drives would be open to allow plenty of air in. The front below the door being spaced forward could then have a design of some sorts cut into it. Maybe with something behind it to prevent a direct opening for sound to get out. (Notice the cheesy attempt to draw attention to my idea by using the spcr logo =) Also, the bottom may be open some too. I was thinking that there could also be room to fit some filters over these two openings as well. Than the optional front intake fan might help to keep the air flowing in through the filters. I didn't draw it in, but there would be some feet on it to raise it up off the ground.

Last the HD could be mounted on the bottom or maybe on the back wall in some sort of suspended setup. At the front there, it should get plenty of cool air passing by it with or without the intake fan.

I drew it and plan on building a test setup out of wood. Although there would be no reason this case couldn't be built out of steel. I just don't have the skill or tools for it. I had enough trouble cutting out a motherboard tray/pci slots from an old case as that would be difficult to make out of wood. I'll be making my prototype out of MDF.
Last edited by BillyBuerger on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:40 pm

One of the things coming to my mind is in regards to having a 120mm exhaust right near the CPU like that. Could work quite well to duct that exhaust fan to an XP-120 cooler on the CPU.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:08 pm

That's very much like what I was thinking of recently, except with the 5 inch and 3 inch bays beside each other, and a 16 to 20 cm fan. I was thinking that a case design like that, which mandated the large fan would be a better new form factor than BTX, and would result in the availability of good fans of that size. I was pretty sure that that would go against ATX specs, but lots of cases probably do that already. As a normal case, since there aren't any easily availablle 16-20 cm fans, I think it would work best with a modular fan slot of some sort, perhaps capable of using four 92mm fans, though I guess that wouldn't be all that well suited for low noise.

bob655

Post by bob655 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:19 pm

Interesting, except - would you need to remove the PSU everytime you wanted to add/remove an expansion card??

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:50 pm

Some kind of PSU rails would make that easy.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:22 pm

Looks interesting! The only flaw I can see would be the ramping up that hot VGA cards would produce, but you already covered that.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:58 pm

A slide-out motherboard tray would be a major mitigation of the PSU location, although a slide-out PSU would also be useful, as mentioned above.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:53 pm

Another option, assuming a 120mm bottom fan, would be to flip the PSU and duct it straight from the side. With a vga silencer I think this setup would work quite well.

RonG

Post by RonG » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:40 am

How about laying the PS on its side near the front, and have its intake from the outside of one side of the case, and its output vented straight to the outside of the otherside of the case?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:07 am

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I had forgotten to mention the problem of the PSU being in the way for getting at the pci/agp slots. I've thought about putting the psu on a flip-out machanism kinda like what Dell has done with some of their workstations. Or a pull-out motherboard. I think for myself, I'll just deal with having to remove the PSU to get at that stuff.

Directing the PSU to pull in air directly from outside would help keep it cool. But I was actually kind of hoping to use it to cool the video card a little myself. I have a BFG FX5200 with a Zalman ZM-NB32J on it. It gets a bit warm during 3D stuff. I don't think it's dangerously warm. I've never had any problems. But I kind of like the idea of having a bottom mounted PSU fan to add some more cooling. Since besides the video, the air should be mostly cool still, I figure it won't cause too much extra heat going into the PSU.

Now if you used an Artic cooling or some type of video cooler that exhausted the heat from the video card, than the PSU wouldn't have to exhaust any extra heat really. Besides maybe the HD. But that should be minimal.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Devonavar wrote:Looks interesting! The only flaw I can see would be the ramping up that hot VGA cards would produce, but you already covered that.
An an aerocool VM-101 also would pretty much solve that by dumping the vast majority of the heat above the video card, and a zalman or thermaltake sandwich would do this partially.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Update on my case design idea. I started drawing it up in CAD. I had the back all drawn out so I decided one day to cut out the piece of wood to see how it turns out.

<pictures currently missing>

Well, turns out I was using way to small of tolerances. I had the back side right against the motherboard tray which was right against the PSU which was right against the front side. My measurements are not that accurate and neither are my cuts. So it doesn't fit as it currently stands. I'm adding in space in the CAD drawing now. But I thought I would share some pictures since I had them.

As you can see, the entire back is filled with stuff. There is no unused space. The PCI area is a bit crammed, but even with the 80mm fan PSU, I get some nice airflow around the video card. Which was one of my goals. Also, there is plenty of space in the CPU area. Which was also one of my goals. I am a bit concered about how the CD drives will affect that though. I would like to keep this case from being to deep. But doing so might push the drives into the CPU area.
Last edited by BillyBuerger on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:17 am

Well, I think a BIG pat on the back is deserved for actually implementing some of your ideas... often people come up with great concepts but either don't follow through or don't keep people up to date. ;)

It looks good to me so far. The only thing I would suggest is to locate the PSU further away from the video/PCI cards. The only reason for this is to allow more space for some of the larger "passive" coolers out there. Some of them stick out a bit and others have heat pipes that wrap around over the top of the card rather on the end.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:09 pm

You could mount the PSU to a hinged plate that swings out-if all the connects are long ehough,or if you had a modular type with easy disconects. Consider feet that give a few inches under the case-allowing main intake in the floor-not the front.. A less direct sound path is a plus.

Don't get too extreme with compacting everything-if it's too crowded you may muckup airflow while a CPU+other stuff will heat a small space quicker,and more than a large space. That adds up to somewhat more fan RPM's.

Overall,I dig that you're going with a design and build rather than just another Antec/nexus rig.

sensei

Post by sensei » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:55 pm

That is pure genius. Since I modded my 9700Pro with a Zalman heatpipe HS, I have been wondering how to get some airflow past it without adding too many fans. I think you hit the nail right on the head. I would seriously consider ducting the rear fan to an upright HS (Scythe Ninja comes to mind). You'd be running a descent system, using only one 120mm fan, and one in your psu (which would probably only ramp up during gaming, another desirable trait imo). You'd have all heat sources covered, and, with a bottom intake, no direct path for noise.

I think this is one of the most promising case designs I have seen on spcr. I might even break out the mdf myself :)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:47 am

BrianE wrote:It looks good to me so far. The only thing I would suggest is to locate the PSU further away from the video/PCI cards. The only reason for this is to allow more space for some of the larger "passive" coolers out there. Some of them stick out a bit and others have heat pipes that wrap around over the top of the card rather on the end.
Good point. Any ideas on how 'tall' some of the passive coolers are? I don't want to make this thing any wider than it needs to be. So I don't want too much space in between the expansion slots and PSU. I might just have to make a limit to the height of the cards/coolers.

derekva

Post by derekva » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:11 am

ronrem wrote:You could mount the PSU to a hinged plate that swings out-if all the connects are long ehough,or if you had a modular type with easy disconects. Consider feet that give a few inches under the case-allowing main intake in the floor-not the front.. A less direct sound path is a plus.
The Dell Precision Workstation 620 series had a neat mounting bracket system for the over-PCI-mounted power supply that would (when unlatched) pull the power supply about 1/2 inch towards the front of the PC and then allow it to swing down (hinged on the bottom of the case) to be out of the way. Granted, the standard ATX power supplies are a lot fatter, but it might be a way to set up the PSU. If you go to support.dell.com and look through the documentation for the Precision Workstation 620, you can find some good line drawings of how they mounted the PSU.

I *really* like this design - perhaps (with your permission, of course), I'll try something like this out of metal. :D

-Derek

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:59 am

This case design is a bit like my black marble workstation turned sideways. Except that my PSU fan is flipped, and the only exhaust is the CPU duct (no 120mm fan, just a circular duct from the CPU heatsink).

With a flipped PSU fan, the PSU blows air to cool the GPU. With a CPU heatsink duct being the only exhaust, airflow from the PSU ultimately has nowhere to escape to except through the CPU heatsink. I can cool the whole computer with just the PSU fan. ;)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:54 pm

derekva wrote:I *really* like this design - perhaps (with your permission, of course), I'll try something like this out of metal. :D
Please do. It's probably been close to a year since I started thinking about this. If anyone else can do it and with metal, that would be great. And thanks for the info on the Dell.
IsaacKuo wrote:This case design is a bit like my black marble workstation turned sideways. Except that my PSU fan is flipped, and the only exhaust is the CPU duct (no 120mm fan, just a circular duct from the CPU heatsink).
Do you have pictures?

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:08 pm

Here's my cute little black marble SFF:

Single Fan Madness pt 3

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:25 am

Dang, Ultra used the same general layout of the back for their MICROFLY BX6 case....

Although in a mATX format and more SFF like than a tower. And of course lot's of bling. A 600W PSU for a SFF PC? Maybe if they ever make an SLI mATX board.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:53 am

Regards that PSU issue, if the PSU was mounted to the left side panel and that was hinged at the back, and you had adequate cable lengths (which if you have a modular PSU, shouldn't be a problem) it would solve the problem entirely.

When you open the left side panel to work on the machine the PSU rotates out of the way. In fact, if the cables were led to the hinge, they wouldn't need to be a problem either.

Maybe even have the hinge for the PSU in the middle of the back so just the lower portion of the back rotates away though if the top did as well it wouldn't be such a bad thing. You could have the hinge be the kind that once its rotated you can lift it off its pins and separate the sides.

I agree, its a nifty and novel layout that accomplishes a lot. What sort of dimensions did you end up with on your mock-up? Width, height, depth?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:20 pm

Hello,

It is an elegant design. With a 120mm fanned PSU, it would help cool the video and other expansion cards nicely, I think.

BTW, you can use a pair of strong needle nose pliers to twist the metal bars between the intake slots on that PSU sideways to greatly improve the air flow through it!

bean1975

Post by bean1975 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:12 pm

The smallest full ATX case is the GT3-BH by GTX corporation http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gt3/ . You need to be a spectacular engineer to design something smaller which can accomodate an ATX motherboard. And yes, I own one since Tuesday :)

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 pm

How about installing optical drive like it is in GMC R-2

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:57 am

Hi,
Zyzzyx wrote:One of the things coming to my mind is in regards to having a 120mm exhaust right near the CPU like that. Could work quite well to duct that exhaust fan to an XP-120 cooler on the CPU.

We do that in the PaQ case, and you don't need an exhaust fan at all - the CPU fan acts as the exhaust all on it's own; and the duct muffles it (made of acoustic foam) plus ensuring all the hot CPU exhaust goes straight out the back of the case.

Works great.

Overall... I see a lot of similarities, except that the PaQ case has the PSU beneath the mobo (though still at the opposite end from the CPU) rather than beside it. This produces a longer, narrower (4U format) case.

Peter

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 am

RAFH wrote:I agree, its a nifty and novel layout that accomplishes a lot. What sort of dimensions did you end up with on your mock-up? Width, height, depth?
Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to try anything new recently. My first attempt that I posted the pictures of didn't come out well. So I was re-drawing things last I looked at it. The depth of the case was the one thing I wasn't really sure of yet. I was going to use my test case to get an idea of how the drives would line up and how deep I would have to make it. But again, never got there. I'm still thinking about it and want to try again one of these days.

cansan

Post by cansan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Hope you get around to building it sometime, I would like to see it. I have a similar design that I would like to build sometime, but unfortunately I do not have the money to buy a new computer yet (using a laptop atm.).

I can post (sketchup) pics if anyone is interested, my design is a full atx, atx psu, room for any tower cpu heatsink, 1 optical and 1-2hdd (more if you sacrifice pci slots)
Dimensions are 36Hx23Wx28D, volume = 23L, so similar in size to NSK 3300/3400 or SG03, wider case, but full atx.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Well, I haven't completely forgotten about this idea of mine. I recently started playing with Google SketchUp. So I started drawing this out in that. I was using Microstation95 before. I made it a little bit taller this time so as to make room for a CD drive above the motherboard. Hopefully I can keep the depth to a minimum that way without interfering with a big heat sink. I might cut some wood this weekend to see how things line up.
Last edited by BillyBuerger on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:19 am

It still feels like an inspiring concept so keep working on it. :) Sketch some top and side layouts perhaps.