Cheap acoustic foam: does it even exist?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

_guillaume

Cheap acoustic foam: does it even exist?

Post by _guillaume » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:29 am

I'm buying an Antec SLK3000B and woudl love to put acoustic foam in it. Not ready to spend twice the price of the case on it tho. Did anyone find a good cheap product from a hardware store that would help reduce the noise? Also, does installing this kind of foam actually raises the temp in the case? Thanks!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Cheap acoustic foam: does it even exist?

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:14 am

_guillaume wrote:Did anyone find a good cheap product from a hardware store that would help reduce the noise?
Yup, years ago. (literally) Searching for "Melamine" and "Roofer's tape" will put you on the path to cheapskate nirvana. :lol:

_guillaume wrote:Also, does installing this kind of foam actually raises the temp in the case?
Not usually, and certainly not enough to make a difference to anything. Very little of the heat gets transferred through the sides in a normal case.

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:36 am

couldn't resist a title like that...
it exists all over, that ghetto PC mods guy even did an article about using rice cakes a long time ago. :)

niels007

Post by niels007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:27 pm

I just returned from the hardware store with around €8 worh of 1 square meters of

it is about 3cm thick and will never do miracles, but it should damp higher frequencies and deflect sound a little.

Illah

Post by Illah » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:37 pm

Any of this cheap stuff available at Home Depot? I might head over there after work.

--Illah

_guillaume

Post by _guillaume » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Awesome :D
I'm going to Home Depot.....Now :mrgreen:

Illah

Post by Illah » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:26 pm

So did you find anything good at home depot? I didn't go. I'm prob just gonna order the melamine from McMaster and use it inside the case and on my wall and desk outside of the case openings.

--Illah

DGK

Post by DGK » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:04 am

I just bought some of this stuff, have not installed it yet though since I am waiting for some more computer parts. I am going to use some of it to surround my WC pump and then the rest in various empty spots in the case.

mcmaster part # 85365K43 Convoluted Polyurethane Foam 1/2" Base Thk, 2" Peak Height, 18" X 24", Charcoal, Sets of 2

alain

Post by alain » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:48 am

Hi

What's the practical noise reduction? Is it noticable?

Has anybody already tried it inside a computer?

I looked up the maximum temperature and this is 100°C (or 212 F), so it seems safe to use inside a computer. I've also check the electrical resistance on a very old (small) piece and it doesn't conduct electricity, which is also good news.

I'm very temped to get me a sheet to apply it myself. While it won't do wonders, it's not much work and I don't think it can harm something. Or am I mistaken?

Alain

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:01 am

Looking at the McMaster Catalog, this one looks interesting to me. A combination of open and closed cells:

86225K63
Vapor-Seal Polyurethane Foam Sheet Adhesive Back, 1/4" Thick, 36" X 36", Charcoal

idiot

Post by idiot » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:48 am

m0002a wrote:Looking at the McMaster Catalog, this one looks interesting to me. A combination of open and closed cells:

86225K63
Vapor-Seal Polyurethane Foam Sheet Adhesive Back, 1/4" Thick, 36" X 36", Charcoal
You think it will be more effective than the pasrt listed below?
DGK wrote:mcmaster part # 85365K43 Convoluted Polyurethane Foam 1/2" Base Thk, 2" Peak Height, 18" X 24", Charcoal, Sets of 2

alain

Post by alain » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:11 am

Hi

Just installed it into my home computer. At first I was disappointed, the computer made still noise.

However things changed after I did start a second (work related) computer, which was the most silent before. Not anymore, my home computer is now better. It went even better when I play radio even on a very low level.

After all quite satisfied with it considering the low investment and fast implementation.

Now it's clear that the vibration from my "silent" samsung 160Gb nidec, is the main source of noise. Unfortunate no free 5 1/4 bay, well will maybe I'll have to look for some small improvements there.

Alain

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:23 am

idiot wrote:You think it will be more effective than the pasrt listed below?
DGK wrote:mcmaster part # 85365K43 Convoluted Polyurethane Foam 1/2" Base Thk, 2" Peak Height, 18" X 24", Charcoal, Sets of 2
I am very skeptical of using a single material of low density open-cell foam. Products like AcoustiPack have two layers, the bottom layer being a very dense rubber-like sound barrier (2mm), and the top layer being an open/closed cell hybrid (5mm).

If one is using a single material solution, I think it should be a high density foam. Also, the high density foam can be effective in applications as thin as 1/4", which would be way too thin for a low density open-cell foam to be effective. Another important consideration IMO is that a 2" foam will not fit in all the same places that a 1/4" foam will fit.

idiot

Post by idiot » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:10 pm

m0002a wrote:I am very skeptical of using a single material of low density open-cell foam. Products like AcoustiPack have two layers, the bottom layer being a very dense rubber-like sound barrier (2mm), and the top layer being an open/closed cell hybrid (5mm).

If one is using a single material solution, I think it should be a high density foam. Also, the high density foam can be effective in applications as thin as 1/4", which would be way too thin for a low density open-cell foam to be effective. Another important consideration IMO is that a 2" foam will not fit in all the same places that a 1/4" foam will fit.
Alright, thanks for the input!

I’m about to purchase some dampening materials for a Compucase that I just bought. I already have some 40mil thickness mass loading material (a heavy butyl compound, I believe). I’m not sure how effective it will be, but I do have extra and may as well use it.

Also, I intend to put a layer of open/closed-cell material over it. Since the mass loader mentioned above is acoustically reflective, I’ll go ahead and put some of the foam you linked on top of it. (Though I’ll be getting the non-adhesive backed, since the price difference is so great. Maybe 3/8” too.) Unless you’d recommend something different, this is my plan.

mutemat
-- Vendor --

High or Low Density???

Post by mutemat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:43 am

A high density, high mass product reduces levels of structural vibration in a computer system by increasing the mass/stiffness characteristics of the case, and works because a stiffer heavier case will not transmit as much vibration. It may also prevent some sound from passing through it by acting as a barrier.

The best absorber of sound is a low density material, with a very fine structure. With an absorber the sound level is reduced because sound energy passing the material causes motion in the micro structure of the absorber, which dissipates the energy. The most motion will occur when the absorber is made from a low density material with an ultra fine structure.

So it all depends if the noise in your PC case is mainly caused by internal noise from HDD's, and fans, or from structural vibration in the case itself.

If you combine a high density material with a low density, ultra fine material you will have the best of both worlds. This is why many acoustic products for your computer will consist of 2 layers.

Please have a look at this thread - for more information about a low cost, ultra fine absorption material. http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=21198

Regards

MuteMat