Are the stock fans on the Antec SLK3000B silent?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sgt_Strider

Are the stock fans on the Antec SLK3000B silent?

Post by Sgt_Strider » Tue May 03, 2005 8:33 pm

IIRC, the review said that at 5V the stock fans is silent? If not, then I guess I'll replace them with the 120mm Nexus, but they're not cheap so that is why I asked. They cost $23 CAD and I'll spend close to $50CAD for 2. Just wondering, does the case come with any filters or I would have to purchase that as well? Thanks!

andywww

Post by andywww » Tue May 03, 2005 9:59 pm

The stock fan is pretty good, but you only get 1. I'd recommend trying it and seeing if you like it, if not you can get the nexus fans.

It does come with 1 filter, but it only covers the front intake, not the sides or the bottom of the front intake.

Andrew

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Wed May 04, 2005 5:38 pm

If I install the case with 2 120mm nexus fans, will the setup still be silent? I guess I should also say that I intend to run them at 5V? How are you guys getting this to run at 5v? Via a fan controller? Also what fan size does the side panel accepts?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed May 04, 2005 5:51 pm

Hello:

There are other quiet 120mm fans: the Nexus 120mm are made by Yate Loon, and if you can find a low speed or medium speed Yate Loon and run them at 5v or 7v, then they will be nearly as quiet -- and they are a lot less money. Also, there are two or three other quiet 120mm -- check those threads...and there are easy (and cheap) ways of getting 5v and 7v just by swapping the wires around on the Molex plugs. Or, you can get a Zalman FanMate for about $5US and run at anyuthing between 5v and 11v.

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Thu May 05, 2005 12:01 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

There are other quiet 120mm fans: the Nexus 120mm are made by Yate Loon, and if you can find a low speed or medium speed Yate Loon and run them at 5v or 7v, then they will be nearly as quiet -- and they are a lot less money. Also, there are two or three other quiet 120mm -- check those threads...and there are easy (and cheap) ways of getting 5v and 7v just by swapping the wires around on the Molex plugs. Or, you can get a Zalman FanMate for about $5US and run at anyuthing between 5v and 11v.
AFAIK, there are no Yate Loon fans in Canada. I live in Vancouver, B.C and if someone can tell me where I can obtain them in Canada that would be great. Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 05, 2005 2:14 am

Hello:

What about the 9-blade Evercool (also sold by SilverStone)? Or the 16-blade AeroCool?

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Thu May 05, 2005 3:41 am

On its "low" setting, I find the included fan sufficiently quiet. So maybe its not the quietest in the world, but its definetly not a throw away. In fact, once I installed rubber mounts for it, it fell completly below the level of the other components.

ilh

Post by ilh » Thu May 05, 2005 6:09 am

I find the stock fan, on its minimum speed setting, to be as quiet as a Yate Loon D12SM-12 at about 5V. It isn't a bad fan at its minimum speed. This comparison was made in free air with the fans removed.

I removed my rear grill and soft mounted with E-A-R fan mounts.

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Thu May 05, 2005 2:31 pm

ilh wrote:I find the stock fan, on its minimum speed setting, to be as quiet as a Yate Loon D12SM-12 at about 5V. It isn't a bad fan at its minimum speed. This comparison was made in free air with the fans removed.

I removed my rear grill and soft mounted with E-A-R fan mounts.
where can I buy such fan mounts?

ilh

Post by ilh » Thu May 05, 2005 7:02 pm

I bought mine from www.siliconacoustics.com.

Coolin

Post by Coolin » Thu May 05, 2005 9:55 pm

I was running a Nexus 12V on my SLK3000B and it was so annoying I had to turn it off. Now I have no case fans... I tried sticking it on the 5V connector of my S12, but it only started up half of the time. It was definitely louder than the stock Antec TriCool on low setting. However, I still found the TriCool to be slightly annoying even at low. Perhaps I got a rare crappy Nexus or something.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu May 05, 2005 10:10 pm

Coolin wrote:I was running a Nexus 12V on my SLK3000B and it was so annoying I had to turn it off. Now I have no case fans... I tried sticking it on the 5V connector of my S12, but it only started up half of the time. It was definitely louder than the stock Antec TriCool on low setting. However, I still found the TriCool to be slightly annoying even at low. Perhaps I got a rare crappy Nexus or something.
No, nexus 120's are not supposed to start up at 5V. You'll want to run it in between 5 and 12 V, you could get a fan mate for it, or a fan controller(such as that cheap non-branded small one).

Coolin

Post by Coolin » Fri May 06, 2005 12:05 am

My crappy statement wasn't really referring to it not starting at 5V, but to its louder than expected noise levels at 12V. I thought it would be comparable, if not quieter than the TriCool on low. According to the SLK3000B review, the noise levels of the two should be pretty similar. However, it was audibly and significantly louder, enough to be annoying. Shame it doesn't run at 5V though, I'd prefer not to spend another $10 on a fanmate.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri May 06, 2005 6:34 pm

I really like the stock Antec 120mm fan that came with my 3700BQE. It starts up every time at 5v and is silent. I use that for my exhaust, and a Nexus 120mm for my CPU fan at 7v. The Antec is still quieter than the Nexus at those voltages, and still spins. I recommend keeping it, at 5v, and perhaps a Nexus at 7v for whatever else you may need one for.

padmewan

Post by padmewan » Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 am

Not to hijack this thread, but Badger, when you say the stock fan starts up at 5V, do you mean unmodded? I just got the 3700BQE and inquired on a different thread about whether the fan was already modded to 5 or 7 V and was told no, it's a regular 12V (I also posted a picture of the fan power connectors). (And it's quiet but definitely not silent!)

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Mon May 09, 2005 5:02 pm

The TriCool on my 3000B wouldn't start up at the lowest setting the first few times i turned it on. I called mwave (where I got the case) and they said they would send a new one, but they never did. But it seems to work now, not sure why. Its quiet, but not silent. I use a Papst fan rather than a Nexus. From what I've read, they're both very quiet, but the Papst moves more air and I like to play it safe. The papst on a fanmate turned all the way down is quieter than my TriCool on low. I would recommend the Papst if you want to replace the TriCool and want decent airflow.