GMC Neo Classic

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Reyn

GMC Neo Classic

Post by Reyn » Fri May 13, 2005 1:24 am

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod981.htm

Discuss, at the price of $175 AUS, I don't think the acoustic foam that comes with this case would be too effective.

But the whole case does have silicon coating to prevent vibration

idiot

Post by idiot » Fri May 13, 2005 1:49 am

These pictures show the fan situation a little better. The 80mm choice is disappointing. Also, I fail to see how the front intakes draw in their air, as there doesn't appear to be an opening on the front bezel. It's unfortunate that the cooling seems so poor, because the case looks good otherwise, and that's a decent price not too far from the Sonata.

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Fri May 13, 2005 1:58 am

According to MikeC the case flow in this is terrible so it's a real let down.

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Fri May 13, 2005 2:01 am

idiot wrote:that's a decent price not too far from the Sonata.
no PSU

scara

Post by scara » Fri May 13, 2005 2:25 am

I have that case and would say its not worth that much money. I got mine for about half that price, without the sound mats and silicone coating. The whole case is well constructed and so heavy that it doesn't really vibrate anyway. If you're willing to really hack it up it can be good for mid/low power systems but generally the negatives outweigh the positives.

Bottom line: there are better cases for the money.

edit: I took a quick look on that site and found the CoolerMaster Centurion 5 is $125. That would be a far better case and you could spend less than $50 on sound mats equivalent to the Neo-Classic ones. See the review here.

idiot

Post by idiot » Fri May 13, 2005 8:37 am

Reyn wrote:
idiot wrote:that's a decent price not too far from the Sonata.
no PSU
True, but the Sonata doesn't come with the same amount of vibration-reducing materials. Trade-off.

Although, based on what others are saying, I guess it's not so decent a price. ;)

Reyn

Post by Reyn » Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 pm

sonata is complete "marketing" imo.

it's head line is "hear the silence" and yet, the case is not designed for silence AT ALL except it's anti vibration HDD mount which is pretty much common in all cases these days even many generic ones. It's 120mm rear exhaust fan is NOT quiet, nor is its PSU.

Sonata is pretty much "generic" except it's Antec badge.

swaction

Post by swaction » Sat May 14, 2005 3:08 am

ckolivas wrote:According to MikeC the case flow in this is terrible so it's a real let down.
After purchasing a hacksaw today I was able to open up the bottom vent by about 300% - im getting some good airflow for minimum noise.

The case does weigh a lot though - mine comes in at 18kg with 2 optical and hard disk drives.. zero vibration.

I think this case is nice and simple, nothing too fancy. No complaints here

swaction

Post by swaction » Tue May 17, 2005 4:42 am

Here is a shot of the new and improved air intake at the front... Works wonders..

Also cut away the rear fan grills.... this helps :P

Add some extra dampening around the inside of the beast..

And you'll find the GMC case to be a real nice case :D

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue May 17, 2005 5:21 am

Nice mod! This is a beautiful case especially in pearl white. Too bad it was barely sold in NA and I missed out when newegg was clearing their stock out. I miss the Korean case manufacturers (GMC/3R systems) that dont bother to ship their designs to NA anymore.

This case has been discussed in great detail already here at SPCR, and there are some links to airflow mods as well. I doubt the silicone thingies do a whole lot, but the case does have some promise. My biggest problem with 80mm fans is that you have a higher likelyhood of a fan going noisy on you because you are using more of them. You end up having to replace fans more regularly.