Noise-dampening material - does it help Super Lanboy?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mbx1

Noise-dampening material - does it help Super Lanboy?

Post by mbx1 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:09 am

I like the Super Lanboy because it has excellent cooling and it doesn't look like a $29 case from 'generic computing'. I'm concerned about the aluminum case vibrating, though.

Has anyone put something like Nexus DampTek on a Super Lanboy? Or one of the Lian Li cases?

The cost of something like Nexus DampTek or Acoustipack seems very reasonable to me and if offered a meaningful improvement I'd be very willing to try it.

-MB

timmytimmytimmy

Post by timmytimmytimmy » Mon May 16, 2005 2:24 am

Not sure myself.. I have the super lanboy and it vibrates lots :D

If i can bring myself to spend lotsa money on acoustipack i'll try it, but I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference- because obviously u can't apply it to the side window- which is probbaly where it would be most effective.

The only places you could damp would be the bottom, top, side panel and maybe pad the HD area to stop sounds escaaping out the front.

Right now I'm still working on cutting down the noise sources first. Getting silentblade soon, maybe the fanless 6600GT, undervolted the CPU fan.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Mon May 16, 2005 6:07 pm

If you are having problems with panels actually vibrating because they are loose (I heard the Super Lanboy has somewhat flimsy construction), maybe you could do something about it by using electrical tape or something along the edges to make the panels fit tighter? If that's not the type of vibration you're worried about, then just disregard what I said and continue discussing damping materials. :p

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon May 16, 2005 11:04 pm

BrianE wrote:If you are having problems with panels actually vibrating because they are loose (I heard the Super Lanboy has somewhat flimsy construction), maybe you could do something about it by using electrical tape or something along the edges to make the panels fit tighter? If that's not the type of vibration you're worried about, then just disregard what I said and continue discussing damping materials. :p
www.soundproofing.org

mass loaded vinyl from here solves all issues. it weighs a ton, which will cause vibrations to stop for the most part. aside from that, I suggest a silcon type of plumbers goop and shoot it places.

OR, my old technique: hot glue gun squeeze in cracks and cut off to fit later. makes a really stable case and stops squeaks (looks butt ugly too! so watch out)

mutemat
-- Vendor --

Post by mutemat » Tue May 17, 2005 12:55 am

We make a material which will help you: Please see our web site for more details:
www.mutemat.co.uk.

It is currently being discussed in a thread on this site: Thread 21198 - MUTEMAT

If you have any questions, please contact us:

Regards

MuteMat Team

timmytimmytimmy

Post by timmytimmytimmy » Tue May 17, 2005 1:05 am

I'm not sure what kinda of vibrations my panels are making :oops: . It seems to be coming from the harddrives..

With reagrds to mutemat: seems to based in UK, will it be coming to Aust any time soon?

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue May 17, 2005 11:22 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote: www.soundproofing.org

mass loaded vinyl from here solves all issues. it weighs a ton, which will cause vibrations to stop for the most part. aside from that, I suggest a silcon type of plumbers goop and shoot it places.

OR, my old technique: hot glue gun squeeze in cracks and cut off to fit later. makes a really stable case and stops squeaks (looks butt ugly too! so watch out)
Maybe I should have been more clear in that taping edges (basically shimming) would only work for panels that you can actually remove... I still think that it'd be a better solution for panels that rattle from loose fitment, since a heavy panel could still move around if the fit is poor. I've fixed rattles like that in some older cases this way. It's cheaper than trying to mass dampen them too, but no, it doesn't solve everything.

Also if you're getting vibration maybe see if you can do more for decoupling the source of it in the first place. My old computers vibrated a fair bit because the cases were generic and everything was hard mounted normally.

mutemat
-- Vendor --

Post by mutemat » Wed May 18, 2005 5:53 am

Were currently only based in the UK, but if you drop me an Email [email protected] I can look up the shipping costs to Australia for you.

They will not be much for mutemat, as it is a very fine and light to optimise the sound absorption, but the Plus version has the acoustic barrier layer and is quite heavy so will cost a little more.

Let me know if I can help you further

Regards

MuteMat Team