Dust Kills Computers.....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:24 am

Devonavar wrote:Right .. uh ... so what am I supposed to do with the dust once I've collected it?
Don't they have dust recycling in Canada :?: Guess you'll have to throw it away with the rest of the rubbish.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:37 am

Or we could set up an exchange scheme so we could all start collecting dust from around the World!!...

... just me then... :roll:

Stjopatron

Post by Stjopatron » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:40 am

Lubb, there is no doubt that the "Dirtcan" is going to revolutionise computer dust control as we understand it today, but let me give you some ideas on the way. The smaller the diameter of the cyclone, the more efficient the filtering. This has to do with how the forces work on the particles inside. I suggest that you use a can 10-15 cm wide. A small diameter also makes it easier to gain higher air speed inside, which is vital for the filtering. It's also important that it is placed vertically, not horizontally as in the Brutal Tripod.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:00 am

This is nuts......Why not just invent/buy a stand-alone air fiter machine? Place it in the room with your computer. Collect all the dust you want, but keep it away from your computer..... :lol:

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:37 am

...This is nuts......Why not just invent/buy a stand-alone air fiter machine? Place it in the room with your computer. Collect all the dust you want, but keep it away from your computer..

Yes, this is nuts, but enacting a "no-nuts on SPCR rule" would drastically cut into current membership. ....And as far as the separate air purifier goes, can I put Nexus fans in that? :D
-----
.... The smaller the diameter of the cyclone, the more efficient the filtering. This has to do with how the forces work on the particles inside. I suggest that you use a can 10-15 cm wide. A small diameter also makes it easier to gain higher air speed inside, which is vital for the filtering. It's also important that it is placed vertically, not horizontally as in the Brutal Tripod....
-As far as "smaller diameter filtering better", I am not seeing the reasoning for this assertion. If you ran a given cyclonic filter at 50% of its normal flow rate, then the air is only spinning about half as fast inside the separator, but the airflow is spun inside the separator for twice as long. So is the filtering effectiveness at the lower flow rate the same, more or less?
~

Stjopatron

Post by Stjopatron » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:20 am

No, neither flow rate cfs (m³/s for the rest of the world) nor time has any importance for the filtering. Cyclone radius, the speed and the weight (density) of the particles are the important factors.
In a cyclone the particles are forced to move towards the outer wall where they on impact will lose speed and fall down. For some reason, and I do not know exactly why, the G-force increases with a smaller radius of the air stream. Bigger G-force means better separation of smaller and lighter particles that are in the air.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Bluefront wrote:This is nuts......Why not just invent/buy a stand-alone air fiter machine? Place it in the room with your computer. Collect all the dust you want, but keep it away from your computer..... :lol:
Then you have to quiet that down, if you even can. With a filtered PC, you can get some dust removal almost free, in terms of both money and noise.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm still using the case from my first puter-though many upgrades since-and a new "re-engineered case will house the build I intended to do last summer. It came with a front intake only-and a removable filter,foam,cleanable type. I am surprised this is now seen as odd-my case was vintage 97...the dark ages as puters go. I helped a guy gather stuff to build one for mostly audio-wanting performance and quiet. I saw a case by V-Tech that looked neat-was cheap,had a cool conncept-most of the walls and top were perf/mesh lined with FILTER material. A lot of clean air could enter without much backpressure. The trick was to decide what inlet areas were surplus and could be blocked off to reduce paths for sound getting out. Next was being real sure all the stuff inside was quiet-so there had to be a full,from scratch build planned out. He is not a gamer-so overclocking and a heat generating vid card were no issue,but he did deviate-could not resist getting a Raptor. Last I heard-all went well. Knowing what I know now-we could have got even quieter. Still- a good rig- no dust. :D