Dust experience with the recommended quiet Antec cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Oliver

Dust experience with the recommended quiet Antec cases?

Post by Oliver » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:54 pm

Well, how excellent is your experiences with the dust collection on the various 3000 group type and 3700 group type cases?

For the ones that have the solid side panel's how good is the front filters at getting all the dust? Do you get a lot infiltrating your cdrom and floppy drives?

I take it, if it has those side air duct holes then you get a lot of dust huh?
Or is that not the case?

I read that the P160 is excellent at getting all the dust into the filter. Do any of these stell cases do as great a job? Please recommend one if it does , thanks.

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:02 pm

For me, the front air filter on my 3700AMB helps a whole lot (I still haven't cleaned it out in almost two years :wink:). There's still some dust but much less than what I've got in a non-filtered machine. The exhaust fan is cleaner on the 3700 because it's blowing filtered air, and the dust that usually settles on the AGP card (the uppermost card) is less. The fan on my HSF is also more dust-free on the Antec.

EDIT: All this despite the fact that I built the "non-filtered machine" five months after the Antec.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm

Hello:

If you want to use the front filter better, then you'll need to tape over the gap/slot at the bottom of the front bezel, since this allows a lot of air to be pulled in behind the filter.

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:20 pm

I've got the 3000B. I duct-taped over the hole at the bottom of the front bezel, I've got acoustipack on the side panel which covers the expansion slot vent, but I use the CPU duct. For that I've got a square of household vent filter material.

So far, things stay pretty clean. Every couple of months I open it up and hit it with the canned air as routine maintenance.

--Steve

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:28 pm

Thank you, Neil.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:37 pm

The filters that come with the 3700amb are a good balance between airflow and dust screening. Unfortunately, they don't cover everything, but I'd say they keep out about 75% of the dust that would otherwise be there.

Not bad for screen door mesh...