Question RE: Antec P180 VGA 80mm duct

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

onewhoknows

Question RE: Antec P180 VGA 80mm duct

Post by onewhoknows » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:41 pm

So, I made the horrible assumption that a normal 80mm case fan would work for the VGA duct - but it seems that it's too thick for me to screw it down.

Does anyone have suggestions for 80mm fans that would work while providing sufficient cooling to the card? I'm using a BFG 6800GT mated to the Abit IC7-G - I'm hoping a 15mm thick fan would work.

Any input and suggestions are greatly appreciated - The case is great despite some problems with sufficient wire management...

idiot

Post by idiot » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 pm

I encountered this same problem earlier today. Furthermore, on the DFI NF4 boards, 80% of the fan duct cutout lies over the top-most PCI-e slot, so that almost all the air is blown over the backside of the card. :(

I took mine out, since it's useless with MB and graphics card (6800GT). I'll have to suspend another fan to cool the NB/VGA and perhaps make one of those cardboard ducts.

Paul Jungnitsch

Post by Paul Jungnitsch » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:59 pm

I used an Antec 80x20mm fan if you can find one. It was reasonably quiet, better than the 15mm fans I found. I didn't do any hardcore comparisons though, and it is louder than a standard 25mm fan. If you want my honest opinion, I'd just ditch the duct entirely. Unless your VGA card has open heatsinks instead of a ducted airflow system, you may not see much benefit.

onewhoknows

Post by onewhoknows » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:07 pm

idiot wrote:I encountered this same problem earlier today. Furthermore, on the DFI NF4 boards, 80% of the fan duct cutout lies over the top-most PCI-e slot, so that almost all the air is blown over the backside of the card. :(

I took mine out, since it's useless with MB and graphics card (6800GT). I'll have to suspend another fan to cool the NB/VGA and perhaps make one of those cardboard ducts.
Guess we can't win them all, right?

I ordered that Zalman slim 80mm cooler... we'll see how it goes. I just threw in those orange Yates and they're nice and quiet! Question: are we not allowed to put in a 120mm fan on the bottom / front HD area?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:36 pm

onewhoknows wrote:Question: are we not allowed to put in a 120mm fan on the bottom / front HD area?
Why would you not be able to? The P180 already ships with a thick 38mm fan in the HDD/PSU duct; you're welcome to swap it out if you see fit. There's also a mounting bracket for a 120mm fan in front of the upper HDD cage. I'm not sure I've gotten the point of your question...?

idiot

Post by idiot » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:41 pm

Devonavar wrote:
onewhoknows wrote:Question: are we not allowed to put in a 120mm fan on the bottom / front HD area?
Why would you not be able to? The P180 already ships with a thick 38mm fan in the HDD/PSU duct; you're welcome to swap it out if you see fit. There's also a mounting bracket for a 120mm fan in front of the upper HDD cage. I'm not sure I've gotten the point of your question...?
I think that he may be referring to the area in the bottom section that is right between the filter and the hard drive cage... just like the front fan position in the upper area. If so, then it looks like there may be room, but I haven't done a test fit. And with the 38mm, I'm not sure that there would be too much benefit.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:16 pm

Oh, I see. No, there's no room for another fan in front of the drives ... but why would you want one? The 38mm fan already provides plenty of airflow through this area, and, as idiot pointed out, even that fan may be unnecessary. The 38mm fan has the advantage of being buried in the middle of the case, where it has a less direct acoustic path to the user. Granted, the fan could be quieter, but there's nothing stopping you from swapping it out for a quieter (and thinner) Nexus 120mm.