What should I use to firmly fix case feet to my case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CGameProgrammer

What should I use to firmly fix case feet to my case?

Post by CGameProgrammer » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:44 am

I have an SLK3000-B which I use on a carpeted floor, and I feel it's not quite stable enough on such a surface, considering my cats like jumping on it once in a while. Anyway I bought these case feet for stability, but apparently there's no way to screw them on... I'd need to use some adhesive to do it. Since I don't want the case to rock, it would have to be something strong. So, what do you think would adhere well to the case and the plastic case feet? There's not much surface area either, since the foot makes contact with the the raised rings on the bottom of the case, and their rims are narrow.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me here. It's not essential but I would like to be able to use these. Besides, they look cool when they're lit and the case is pre-drilled so I can easily hook them up.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:37 am

Several good glue suggestions in this thread here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=epoxy

johnjv

Post by johnjv » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:11 pm

automotive silicone worked good on my sonata

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:28 pm

Thanks for the link, BrianE. At first Gorilla Glue looked great, but it appears it takes 4 hours to set. I need something that sets like within a minute, just because I have no good way of holding the feet on besides by hand. I tried cyanoacrylate but it was way too weak, so tonight I'll try Liquid Nails Perfect Glue 3, which IIRC takes a few minutes to set but that's OK. Hopefully it will work.

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Well the Liquid Nails stuff wasn't quite strong enough. After 8-10 hours of letting it set, I tried to stand the case up very carefully, yet two of the feet came off very quickly, which is frustrating. The other two are still on firmly but they'd probably come off easily too.

The problem might be the slightly low contact area. Because of the raised rings under the case, there was much less contact area than there could have been, so I think I'll next try the Gorilla Glue stuff since it apparently foams up alot, which would seem to me to make it ideal for covering gaps.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:16 pm

How about screws through the bottom of the case? (Starting from the inside and going into the legs, of course.)

CGameProgrammer

Post by CGameProgrammer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:38 pm

Not possible without drilling something somewhere; the legs have no holes for screws at all, and the holes in the case are used for the LED wires. And I don't have a drill and wouldn't use one even if I did, since it would involve uninstalling everything from the case before drilling.

I have Gorilla Glued one of the case feet; in a couple of hours it'll be 90% set and I can check it out. This glue foams up to 3-4 times its original volume, which is good because it has successfully filled up the ~1mm gap that existed between most of the foot and the case, due to the case's raised ring. So I expect this to be more successful than the epoxy basically for just that reason, but we'll see.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:25 am

I use heavy duty construction adhesive for serious gluing,comes in a caulk tube-so you need a caulk gun,-very strong-needs 24 hr to fully cure