Scythe Ninja with TJ06?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Vulcan

Scythe Ninja with TJ06?

Post by Vulcan » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:56 am

Well, last night I accidently broke a blade off my Zalman cnps7000. I did a quick mod and threw a high cfm 120mm fan on there. It works well enough, but its not very quiet. I was going to just get an XP-120 and continue using my sonata, but I don't know how great of an idea that is. I just happen to be building a new system this week, so it makes sense to go ahead and get a new case and heatsink.

The main contenders are the Antec P180 and Silverstone TJ06. I think I'm goign to go with the TJ06 because of the windtunnel design and its better build (less plastic!), but I'm still open to sugestions. If I went with the TJ06 do you think the Scythe Ninja would be the best heatsink to go with? Also, how do the Scythe Ninja and Scythe Shogun compare?

heres some pictures...
:oops:

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 am

I came very close to buying a TJ06 for my current system, until I saw the P180. While the design of the TJ06 has many positive aspects, I still had concerns.

Every part of a system not served by the wind tunnel places a demand on the PSU for cooling. All of the heat from the video card, all the drives, etc. is pulled through the PSU, forcing it's own cooling to do double duty. And believe it or not, the construction of the main frame of the case is weaker than the Antec.

As far as acoustics goes, the TJ06 has hard plastic feet, the wind tunnel has a small amount of play that is prone to serious vibrations, and the same can be said for the 5.25" drive bay blanks. It would be close to impossible to make a quiet system with it. The drive rail mounting for the hard drives provide no isolation whatsoever.

The P180's isolated chamber design and extremely customizable ventilation arrangement are significant factors in it's favor, as are the silicone grommeted and plastic isolated drive cages. The steel of the frame is very strong, with rolled edges and ridged panels in many places for increased stiffness. Even when I had the front bezel and the side panels off, there was no sense that the frame was prone to bending. The sample TJ06 that I examined couldn't make the same claim.

The plastic of the P180 is thicker, more flexible and stronger than that of other cases with plastic parts. And the plastic pieces are not burdened with supplying any of the strength or stiffness to the overall chassis, they are for sound deadening and appearance.

If you aren't building on an extended motherboard, the only good reason IMO to use the TJ06 is if you just really prefer it's looks that much. The P180 runs cooler, quieter and more efficient. It's the best built case I've ever seen, hands down.

On the other question, a Scythe Ninja will fit in the TJ06 wind tunnel depending on the exact location of the CPU socket. Shogun vs. Ninja, the the Ninja is heatpipe where the Shogun is heatlane, and the reviews I've read suggest the Ninja is a better heatsink, but case arrangement and airflow will have a big impact on the truth of that.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:40 am

Thaks for the reply Freelancer. I went ahead and ordered a Scythe Ninja. For now I will juts be using it in my sonata (if it fits :D)

The case I really want does not exsist (yet).

Basicly, I want the exterior style of a Lian Li V1000, the internal design of a P180 with the PSU in a bottom chamber, and the inverted motherboard design of the TJ06 with the wind tunnel. I've been thinking of drawing it up in autocad at soem point... Might do it if I have a chance.

The closest case I have found to what I want so far would be the Silverstone TJ07, but its not out yet.
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=1

thaita78

Post by thaita78 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:24 pm

Vulcan, I currently run the Ninja in a Sonata II case w/ P4C800 mobo. I could not clip the top left corner very well, had to take out the mobo from the case. Then I discovered I had to take out the rear 120mm fan to place back the mobo with Ninja installed.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:08 pm

Freelancer77 wrote:As far as acoustics goes, the TJ06 has hard plastic feet, the wind tunnel has a small amount of play that is prone to serious vibrations, and the same can be said for the 5.25" drive bay blanks. It would be close to impossible to make a quiet system with it. The drive rail mounting for the hard drives provide no isolation whatsoever.
All depends on how much work you're willing to put into the case. In my case (I'm watercooling a TJ-06) the wind tunnel and (steel) 5.25" drive bay blanks have been removed - the Alu ones in front are bolted in so won't vibrate. I've removed the HDD cage (6 pop-rivets to grind off) and I'm going to build an MDF box in there to suspend my pump and HDD.
With the A64 stock cooling however (about as far as I got today) it's horrendously noisy :(

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:46 pm

pdf27 wrote:
Freelancer77 wrote:As far as acoustics goes, the TJ06 has hard plastic feet, the wind tunnel has a small amount of play that is prone to serious vibrations, and the same can be said for the 5.25" drive bay blanks. It would be close to impossible to make a quiet system with it. The drive rail mounting for the hard drives provide no isolation whatsoever.
All depends on how much work you're willing to put into the case. In my case (I'm watercooling a TJ-06) the wind tunnel and (steel) 5.25" drive bay blanks have been removed - the Alu ones in front are bolted in so won't vibrate. I've removed the HDD cage (6 pop-rivets to grind off) and I'm going to build an MDF box in there to suspend my pump and HDD.
With the A64 stock cooling however (about as far as I got today) it's horrendously noisy :(
This very much proves my point. I'm not against the Silverstone by any means, I like their willingness to push the edges, and more power to them. But the P180 requires ZERO modification to be a far quieter, far cooler case straight out of the box.

If I bought a TJ06 and watercooled it, I'd remove the front 120mm fan, block the intake, and use just the 80mm intake, with the PSU and rear 120mm fan as exhaust, and make sure any other intake source was sealed. The negative pressure ought to do a better job of cooling the parts not served by the water pump. I would come up with some way of suspending hard drives, if not in the stock cage then in any unemployed 5.25" bays.

Vulcan, I agree, a case such as you describe would do well. I halfway expect some of the case makers are going to start backing off new designs though, waiting to see how BTX hits it off. I hope I'm wrong.