Vinyl Floor Tiles for Case Damping

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Vinyl Floor Tiles for Case Damping

Post by Myth! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 am

Yeah me too

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Myth! wrote:ahh, glazing tape wasn't invented when that post was made :roll:

just kidding, nice revive though :wink:
Thanks, I thought it was worth linking to from the front page. I just didn't expect someone to beat me to it by replying so quick to the old thread.

billdcat4

Post by billdcat4 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I bought a 18"x18" tile this morning and applied it to my ATCS840's side panel.

Did not make an appreciable difference, but it may be due to my case rather than the product itself.

Certainly makes the panel heavier and less vibration prone. Also makes the panel more difficult to remove.

Well worth $2.50 to find out

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:36 pm

billdcat4 wrote:I bought a 18"x18" tile this morning and applied it to my ATCS840's side panel.

Did not make an appreciable difference, but it may be due to my case rather than the product itself.

Certainly makes the panel heavier and less vibration prone. Also makes the panel more difficult to remove.

Well worth $2.50 to find out
How much did the 18 x 18 tile weigh and how thick is it? I think you would want 3 to 5 pounds of material in a 18 x 18 section to make a significant difference.

If it's really thin and doesn't look like it has several layers of varying materials you may have gotten tile that is sub optimal for the purpose of dampening vibrations in your case.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Most tiles that are available now are thin, lightweight types that go easily over various types of underlayment, including previous vinyl installs. They are not suitable for this, unless using several layers.

The kind that I found long ago and work the best weigh 1-2 lbs a piece and need to cover the whole of the case panel (by cutting additional chunks). Covering the layer with some foam or felt (I use headliner fabric) takes the harsh edge off.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 am

While we are on the subject: What about tiles with AcoustiPack on top of it? :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:49 am

smiley1 wrote:What is the best vinyl tiles can you recommend?
first post and an active link....I thought that functionalty was turned off until 3rd post to prevent spam....

The best vinyl = the cheapest and heaviest one. No rocket science here.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

The thicker the tile, usually the heavier it is, as well...

Really, the last time I went looking, I walked up and down the local home improvement store and looked at the displays. Didn't see anything I liked. Then I went further down to the endcap, where everything was on clearance and there were a stack of tiles that were perfect. They were about 3-4mm thick and weighed about 1lb each.

The adhesive isn't the best, especially as it gets warm, but there are ways around that...

jonown88

Post by jonown88 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:36 am

jhhoffma wrote:Most tiles that are available now are thin, lightweight types that go easily over various types of underlayment, including previous vinyl installs. They are not suitable for this, unless using several layers.

The kind that I found long ago and work the best weigh 1-2 lbs a piece and need to cover the whole of the case panel (by cutting additional chunks). Covering the layer with some foam or felt (I use headliner fabric) takes the harsh edge off.

this is a very good info thanks dud for such a info. 8)

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:23 am

i'd like to invite you all to this thread's 6th Birthday party next wednesday. Cake provided...BYOB though :wink:

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Myth! wrote:i'd like to invite you all to this thread's 6th Birthday party next wednesday. Cake provided...BYOB though :wink:
Birthday party held in which Home Depot? :lol:

P.S.: I've got inspiration from this thread for my Lian-Li PC-A05 :wink: - and worked...