Blowhole covers?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

idealcrash

Blowhole covers?

Post by idealcrash » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:19 pm

Say if you have a blowhole in your case you don't use anymore and want to close it without making it look ghetto :) is there any store that sells blowhole covers? You see all these lasercut fan grilles in all color imaginable in every 2nd store, would be nice if they would sell blowhole covers of all sizes and colors to match your case.

Wishful thinking or are they outhere?

Thanks!

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:04 am

none that i know of, but then, i don't know much...

justblair

Post by justblair » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:21 am

Funnily enough, just made a cover for a friend.

Took the fan that was in place, traced is shape onto a sheat of perspex. And cut it out. This was for a side pannel which has other windows across it. Sheet aluminium is dirt cheap in our local DIY outlet. it would be just as easy to make it with that.

You can glue or screw these in to the case. Self tappers are easy to get hold of.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:22 am

Even if there's a blow hole cover with colour+material that match your case (which I doubt you can find it), there's still a mark that say there's once a blow hole there. So instead of hiding it, what you can do is to disguise it into something that look nice and fit with your environment. :wink:

Laser cut fan grille is not a bad option, you can just seal off the hole from inside to prevent dust. You can also look for more idea at places like modding section of bit-tech.net, or web shop like mnpctech which may have some ready-made thing that you like. :)

Edit: fix link.

justblair

Post by justblair » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:27 am

Of course to really get rid of it its time to use filler. More fiddly, means respraying your case panels. But I reckon you will get the best result.

The other point about grills gives me an idea. make up a blanking plate of alu, sand it to a nice matt finsh, and place a crome grill in front. The matt alu will look good against the chrome.

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:59 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I would have a hard time making a cover that matches my case, as I have a brushed aluminum case, and my skills and tools lack in this department. In the meantime I found these:

Blow Hole Cover - Red/Orange

Mountain Mods Clear Acrylic Blowhole Covers

Too bad they're only available in acrylic. I guess I can spray paint one of these covers to vaguely resemble aluminum..

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:22 am

I know you said you didn't want a ghetto mod, and this isn't really what you were asking...but for simplicity's sake you could just find a piece of aluminum/acrylic/steel and cut it to the size of the fan in the blowhole and attach it to the bottom of the blowhole fan? Then you could disconnect the fan leads (tie them up) and you'd have the fan there (which can look cool) but no exhaust or open hole for air to get in.

Just a thought,

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:44 am

Buy some acrylic/lexan/plexiglas sheet - Home Depot sells it. Cut it the size of the matching fan. Cut it with a jigsaw, band saw, table saw, or even a hacksaw. Drill holes in exactly the location of the fan mounting screws. The holes should be the size to take fan screws. Spray paint the panel whatever color you want. They sell several metallic silver colors, including some that look like aluminum. Mount the panel from the inside of the case as if it were a fan. Fan screws are intended to be used on plastic so they will grip the plastic just fine.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 am

ultraboy wrote:mnpctech which may have some ready-made thing that you like. :)
Mnpctech's machined aluminum fan grills work great as blowhole covers here

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 pm

my antec NSK2400 comes with a square plastic piece that covers one of the 120mm fan holes when not in use. i'll sell it to you for $20, hahaha...

seriously though. i wish i could buy another one. i'd like to cover up a hole on my P180. right now i'm using duct tape.