muffling pump

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

e v o

muffling pump

Post by e v o » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:34 am

Ok, so i figured this could go in either this section or water cooling...

I recently completed (sorta) my water cooling project. Everything went fine, but i would like to muffle my CSP-MAG. I have a post in the WC section mentioning it, but i would like to get some more input.

Does anyone have any creative/practical ideas? A person mentioned clay then enclosing it in wood or uranium. The clay idea sounds good since it would be easy to mold around the MAG. Has anyone else done this? and if so, what kind of clay? I own a fair amount of dampening material, but i feel like it wouldnt be sufficient. Maybe if i stuck the MAG in a little box that was filled with the material, then covered the outside as well, but I'm not sure. The material is 3ALink althorn absorption wads. Any ideas are welcomed. I don't really have the tools to cut or fashion something (like uranium). I could probably do wood though.

Like most here, I'm pretty sensitive to computer noise, and am trying to get the quietest computer possible.

Thanks

darthan

Post by darthan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:53 am

Boxing it in thick rubber blocks like the kind used for print making (someone did this for their hds here ) would probably be a good, cheap, and doable solution for you. The nice thing is that the pump will cool itself with the water it pushes so all you have to worry about is boxing it up tight.

e v o

Post by e v o » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:14 am

thanks for the reply i will look into that

HomerSapien

Post by HomerSapien » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 am

uhm...i dont think you mean uranium. Its radioactive, not to mention toxic if you or your pets ingest/ or lick it. It would have to be milled which means it is not going to be easy to work with.

Even with depleted uranium(uranium with the u-235 extracted) you are going to have fun getting a license for it.
Why not just use lead if you are trying for weight.

Go with wood. It is far cheaper and easier to work with.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:18 am

My suggestion would be to enclose it in something hard and dense if you can. Wood MDF/hardboard at the least or metal would be better. Make it large enough to hold the pump as well as foam padding as thick as you care to make it. Since it's not visible I'd probably be inclined to use layers of carpet underlay. The enclosure blocks the noise, the foam absorbs it.

If you really want to go nuts you can make a foam lined box inside another foam lined box and make the hose holes offset from each other. :mrgreen:

I know almost zilch about these WC pumps so I assume they are self-cooling...