Just got P150 :) Initial Thoughts

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

w00dy

Just got P150 :) Initial Thoughts

Post by w00dy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:38 am

Just got hold of my new P150 from Kustom PCS and spend last night installing my rig into it, as follows

Asus SLI Premium Skt 939 Board
San Diego 3700+
1GB Corsair
80gb WD SE SATA HD
200gb WD SE SATA HD
Club 3d X800XL (temp controlled fan)

The first thing that struck me was how *Beautiful* the case is - Antec have done an excellent job. The paint job is superb.

Installation is a breeze with the supplied modular PSU. Cable Management is so much easier. The side panels are nicely muted with the vinyl backing, which probably makes Acoustipack treatment unnecessary.

The Hard Drive suspension method is superb - seriously - and HDD seeks are virtually inaudible. I do have my reservations about the longevity of the rubber used for the suspension, and concerns about a HDD falling if the band snapped, but that might be unfounded :)

As for temps, I was shocked. Running a Nexus 120mm real silent as exhaust, the supplied Neo PSU and NO front fan, CPU temps never budged over 38c under load, even after a good game of World of Warcraft. Interestingly, HDD temps also stayed nice and low, without the need for a front fan - 35c was the highest they reached.

I will be adding a 92mm NMB fan to the front panel tonight to see what difference, if any, it makes to temps.

One slight niggle - the supplied screws to hold the motherboard in place are not great. I found four that keyed nicely in the motherboard risers, but the other screws just kept turning inside the riser - whilst not a huge problem - the board is held nicely in place and the screws do come out again - maybe Antec could look at the mobo risers/screws in their QC depts.

Also my AOpen DVD writer has a longer bezel on the front and therefore does not work with the stealth cover - not Antec's fault but something to be aware of.

You can see from the minor nature of the niggles that this case ROCKS. Pure and Simple. Nice to look at, great cooling and certainly has as many noise cancelling features as I could possible expect in a "off the shelf" case.

Finally at £109 I thought it is excellent value, given that the PSU would probably retail for £55 itself.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:43 am

Thanks w00dy.

The obvious question is, as you own the P180 as well, which do you think is the better case? And the best looking? Any chance of some pics?
w00dy wrote:I do have my reservations about the longevity of the rubber used for the suspension, and concerns about a HDD falling if the band snapped, but that might be unfounded :)
What if you tied a wire from one side of the drive bay to the other – dead centre of the hard drive, running just underneath it. So if one rubber band breaks, the hard drive will rest on the safety wire, stopping it from dropping and keeping it level.

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:17 am

Good Question Mate.

Yes I have a P180 and P150 next to each other.

The P150 IMHO looks better - not quite sure why. Probably because it is a little different :) The blue power LED ring just looks fantastic.

Cooling wise the CPU in the P180 is slightly cooler with the same hardware inside. HDD temps are higher in the P180, even with a 120mm fan at 5v blowing over them -in the P180, the HDD were stored in the upper drive bay rather than cooled by the PSU in the lower chamber. At idle, the WD200gb is 4c cooler in the P150 without any front fans. Not sure why this is, but maybe due to the fact the rear 120mm fan is closer to the front of the case in the P150 and the normal position of the PSU pulls air upwards and away (as opposed to being in its own chamber in the P180).

The Antec Neo PSU is very good, but slightly noisier than my Enermax in the P180 - the PSU chamber in the P180 really does stop the PSU fans ramping.

The HDD suspension in the P150 beats the soft grommets in the P180 hands down for noise cancellation. Seeks are now so quiet that I have to strain to hear them. I thought the P180 was good, but the rubber suspension is simply in a different class.

The main reason for getting the P150 is space - I have just moved to a smaller workspace in my home, and the P180 is, well, a little bit too big to fit in the space I have. :) This does however, IMHO, produce a drawback - the P150 is a *little* cramped to work inside of, whereas the P180 has plenty of space and removable caddies for drives which aids the build process. The P150 does, on the flip side, avoid the P180 cable management issues. You pays your money....etc

I think on balance the P150 is better suited to the casual home user who wants a quiet pc. The P180 is probably a better bet for the power user/overclocker/home server. The P180 can hold 6 HDDs vs the 3 suspended in the P150 (4 using the trays). The P180 also has potentially far greater cooling potential for very hot overclocked CPUs. It also caters for cooling PCI-E cards using the duct system.

For my own use the P150 is my case of choice. If I owned 4 HDDs in a RAID array, twin SLI cards and a massively clocked chip, then the P150 may struggle to match the cooling of the P180. Dont get me wrong the P180 is an excellent case, but for the components I have, the P150 will do me just fine.

Pictures will hopefully follow later on :)

Durwin

Post by Durwin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:33 am

I also just received my P150 from Kustom PCs, this is the first "serious" build I've done to achieve silence, yet I'm still not there...

I agree with Woody's comments entirely, and I also love the look and feel of the case exterior. I particularly appreciate the area behind the hard drive bay where you can hide away all the cables, they even include little hooks to tie everything to. I wasn't expecting the PSU to be so easy to hook up either - all cables are braided and you can pick/choose which cables to plug in.

Everything was easy to install into this case, even down to slightly over-sized screw holes for the fan mountings, allowing you to use the larger screws supplied with fan gaskets without drilling the hole larger :D and the holes on the front for the 2 92mm fans are far enough apart the larger screws don't interfere. I did put in 2 Nexus 92mm fans, I can't hear them even on full power, but that's because there's more noise elsewhere...

I also had several the motherboard risers that wouldn't screw properly, I changed 2 risers and left the third.

My only disappointment is with the rear Tricool fan - it only has a 4-pin connection so can't easily be controlled from a motherboard fan connector or other controller, and it is much louder than I expected, even on medium. Thankfully I have a spare Nexus silent 120mm fan (its not needed on the Scythe Ninja, yeah!) so I'll swap that in next.

Woody, did you mod that X800XL with a new fan? I have the exact same card, its by far the noisiest thing in the case right now. I have a Zalman VF700 fan, just afraid to rip the card apart so soon :? (just received it)

In short, this was an excellent (dare I say "kick-ass") buy and I still have more playing around to do

Durwin

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:42 am

The only thing that annoys me about the P150 is that Antec could not be bothered to include a couple of blank drive plates... I'm only going to use one optical drive and no FDD (couldn't find a white one).

Mailed Antec Europe about it and asked if I could get a couple (I have a TrueBlue 480W at their RMA department so I figured that some shipping costs could be saved) but they said that they didn't have any.

SaSH

Post by SaSH » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Woody, did you take out the rear tri-cool fan immediately or try it out for a bit? Also, what type of cooling are you using for your cpu (stock?).

I ordered a new system with a p150 and it will take a week or so for them to receive it. I'm still debating on how to cool my x2 4400+. Not sure if I want to go with a Ninja by itself or with a 120mm fan on top (perhaps even the XP-120) It will defintely be a tight squeeze with the Ninja from what I've been reading.

mathias

Re: Just got P150 :) Initial Thoughts

Post by mathias » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:12 pm

w00dy wrote:I do have my reservations about the longevity of the rubber used for the suspension, and concerns about a HDD falling if the band snapped, but that might be unfounded :)
What I find too risky is the possibility of the top harddrive falling and also killing the two below it.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:49 pm

Woody,

Have you noticed the fan rpm of the neo he when it seems to be noisier than the enermax? I have a noisetaker 485 that never seems to ramp up in a 3000b case. I looked at the enermax noisetaker review and it really has better numbers than the neo he although was marked down in the recommended list for some reason. TIA - FG

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:44 pm

Right answers to your Q's guys:-

frankgerhy - well I have a baseline test as the Antec Neo HE has incompatibility issues with the A8N SLI Premium :( so swapped it out for - guess what - an Enermax Noisetaker 485w. And you are right, the Enermax ramps up less than the Neo HE (when it worked :? ) and also the Enermax produces lower "case" temps.

Mathias - exactly my point - the only way I am happy to do it is suspend the LOWEST Hard drive in the cage (my primary drive) and place a piece of foam underneath in the case of a band breakage.

SaSH - I have used the Tri-Cool - all "user opinion" rather than scientific fact - on "Low " the Tricool is quieter than the Nexus Real Silent but pushes less air. On medium the Tricool is noisier than the Nexus - but not offensively so - and pushes much more air.

I am using a Xp-90 with an Acoustifan.

:)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:49 pm

Thanks for your informative answers. Sorry to hear of the NeoHE probs – that’s why can’t commit to buying a P150, but I’ll be using an Asus A8V, so?? I keep looking at the P180, and I love the looks of the Titan server case (£46 at overclock.co.uk).
w00dy wrote:so swapped it out for - guess what - an Enermax Noisetaker 485w. And you are right, the Enermax ramps up less than the Neo HE (when it worked :? ) and also the Enermax produces lower "case" temps.
Is that using both the Noisetakers fans? I think you said on the OCUK forums, you were going to try removing the bottom 92mm, when used with your P180. The NoiseTakers bottom fan can blow warm air back into the case via the vents, but you’re getting lower temps than the NeoHE.
w00dy wrote:Mathias - exactly my point - the only way I am happy to do it is suspend the LOWEST Hard drive in the cage (my primary drive) and place a piece of foam underneath in the case of a band breakage.
Did you see my wire idea?

Photos? :wink:

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:48 pm

Sorry you may have misunderstood my post on OCUK. I was referring to the bottom chamber fan in the P180 - not the fan in the PSU. :)

No chance of any pictures yet. Will obviously post some when I have a chance. Yes your wire idea is a good one, but I like the idea of the foam for extra insurance. :oops:

The P150 is a SUPERB case apart from the PSU issues - not sure what to do with it - I don't want to RMA the case :cry:

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:13 pm

just RMA the psu? can you do that?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:21 pm

Krazy Kommando wrote:just RMA the psu? can you do that?
One generally cannot RMA just the PSU to the retailer, since they only stock complete products (case with PSU). The retailer has to return the complete product to the manufacturer for refund (in most situations).

Maybe he could try getting a replacement PSU directly from Antec.

w00dy

Post by w00dy » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:25 am

Yes m0002a I don't think I can RMA just the PSU to Kustom PCs.

And a replacement neo HE would be no use either.

I wonder whether Antec would swap it for a different supply -maybe a NeoPower?

Will try and contact Antec next week.

zerga

Post by zerga » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:52 am

How are sound levels on the 150 compared to the 180? Is there a noticeable difference?

matt120

Post by matt120 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:16 am

I was about to purchase a P150 to build a new rig into and just noticed this post. I'm a little concerened about the quote
Antec Neo HE has incompatibility issues with the A8N SLI Premium
Sorry to sound a bit n00bish but what exactly is the incompatibility problem?

Thanx in advance

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:35 pm

pictures please :)

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:00 pm

Volkswagen wrote:pictures please :)
Yeah :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Just got P150 :) Initial Thoughts

Post by MikeC » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:54 pm

w00dy wrote: The side panels are nicely muted with the vinyl backing, which probably makes Acoustipack treatment unnecessary.
Not really true. The vinyl sheet helps to keep the panel itself from vibrating as much (makes it more inert) and may help block some of the sound transmission through it. It does not, however, do anything about reflects of noise within the case, or for the resonance of the AIR in the case. Once you get the noise down low enough, cavity resonance becomes an issue. That's where sound absorption materials come in -- reduces internal relfections, and the resulting air resonances. Along with sucking up some of the mid/high freq sounds.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:41 pm

Is it possibile to apply sound absorption materials over the vinyl sheet?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 am

_MarcoM_ wrote:Is it possibile to apply sound absorption materials over the vinyl sheet?
Sure. That's how the Acoustipak panels are constructed.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:49 am

Just checking in after a while to catch up a bit. Nice to see some new cases. I actually saw the P-150 when logging on to Kustom PCs and saw that it came with suspension. Coolio.

I'm more than happy with my 3000B but am still toying with the idea of setting up a home server. From this thread it seems that the P-180 would be a better bet for that sort of thing.

I just fitted another HDD into the suspended drive cage in my 3000B (now have 3) and it's holding tight. I actually managed to secure the suspension a bit better than it was. Here's a picture to show it prior to the 3rd drive going in :

It's still more or less the same, just a bit more secure.

One of the big benefits of the 3000B for me is the fact that it doesn't come with a PSU. I wish case manufacturers would supply ALL cases that way. It's kind of like buying a motherboard with the CPU fitted. Imagine that!

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:56 pm

w00dy wrote:Sorry you may have misunderstood my post on OCUK. I was referring to the bottom chamber fan in the P180 - not the fan in the PSU. :)
Sorry, got you mixed up with someone else. There’s a lot of P180 owners on OCUK :oops:
w00dy wrote:Yes m0002a I don't think I can RMA just the PSU to Kustom PCs.

And a replacement neo HE would be no use either.

I wonder whether Antec would swap it for a different supply -maybe a NeoPower?

Will try and contact Antec next week.
Antec appear to be laying blame on ASUS. If all else fails, RMA your A8N, is what they’re saying here. That raises a number of questions. I’m presuming those boards have been found to be contravening ATX spec somewhere, but I’ve not heard of other PSU’s being effected with these boards.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:50 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
_MarcoM_ wrote:Is it possibile to apply sound absorption materials over the vinyl sheet?
Sure. That's how the Acoustipak panels are constructed.
Unfortunately Acoustipak (for what i know) isn't available in my country (italy), but i can find this one imported from germany:

SilentMaxx Dampening

It appear like a good product, someone here has tried it? In your opinion it is ok for a P150?
Last edited by _MarcoM_ on Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:05 am

_MarcoM_,
In the P150 you won't need the Kf-25, as it already has weighted panels. The Pu-420 and the Vs-320 foam products are what you want to use, except...... If you go to your local home improvement shop you can probably buy acoustic damping foam too. For the price you pay at silentmaxx for a small sheet you can get a much larger sheet in the home inprovement shops..

Code: Select all

P.S. please embed those enormously long URL's.
    OK -> [url=http://EnormouslyLongURL]ShortText[/url]
not OK -> [url]http://EnormouslyLongURL[/url]
Mods might remove your post if you don't embed them.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:13 am

Tibors wrote:_MarcoM_,
In the P150 you won't need the Kf-25, as it already has weighted panels. The Pu-420 and the Vs-320 foam products are what you want to use, except...... If you go to your local home improvement shop you can probably buy acoustic damping foam too. For the price you pay at silentmaxx for a small sheet you can get a much larger sheet in the home inprovement shops..
Oh nice, it sound a good a idea for me (and for my money :oops: ), i'll try in a home improvement shop for a decent piece of damping foam, thank you!

P.S.
URL corrected :wink:

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:40 pm

My P150 arrived today, won’t build for a week or two though.

Yes, quality and design is excellent, except on mine the front alu sheet is delaminating a fraction from the plastic ‘door’. It’s just one small section just right of the drive bays. Because of the way light is reflected off the alu, it insenuates the ‘bubble’ under the alu, so your eye can’t help being drawn towards the uneven surface. Maybe it’ll delaminate further over-night and they’ll be enough space to get some epoxy in there to glue it down.

- Impressed how squishy the rubber grommets are on the hard-drive trays.

- The white and silver matches perfectly with my Ikea Stolman white/silver shelving.

- No camera, so no pics.

florinp3

Post by florinp3 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:19 am

I just moved my computer in a P150 and I must say I'm a little disappointed.
First of all, I have the same problem as Hellspawn noticed in another thread. Out of the box the PSU label "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" looks like this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3061 ... 3_crop.jpg

I'm going to contact Antec on this, because I find it out outrageous as it doesn't seem to be an accident. I haven't seen something like this not even on a 20$ PSU.
Another problem is the dust filter - it has a 2 cm crack and it seems quite fragile - my guess is that it will get larger when I'll try to wash it. The TriCool fan is also a bit disappointing - while it's noise is OK on LOW, after 15-20 minutes it develops some sort of a rattling, which seems to end if I stop the fan for a second with my finger.
Another strange thing is that my computer failed the POST a few times. My board is an old Sk. A Shuttle board, but I'm not sure if the PSU is to blame here. Further investigation needed.

The rest has been said, it's a good quiet case/PSU (although I can still hear my suspended Samsung HDD's seeks - it's the 160GB version, maybe that's why?).
Overall, as I said before, I'm a litte disappointed, because I've paid a lot of money on this case, and while my computer is now almost dead-silent, the problems mentioned above make me wonder if it was worth it.
Last edited by florinp3 on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:11 am

Just a quick question for you guys.

How did you manage to soft-mount the Nexus 120mm fan (replacing the Tri-Cool) on the P150?

I've noticed that the P150 120mm mounting holes have 2 of them (the ones one the left) are not circular, but they are "open ended"

They are like a

instead of a O

How did you manage to put rubber grommets on those holes? I'm thinking that putting nylon washers + rubber grommets on them doesn't seem proper in order to secure those fans.

Can you tell me how you did it?

Thank you!

Rory Buszka

Post by Rory Buszka » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:09 pm

To avoid a Cyber-SLAPP, I've removed the content of this post.
Last edited by Rory Buszka on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.