Top fan filter on Antec P180

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

DraGoNsLaYeR

Top fan filter on Antec P180

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:13 pm

How effective is the top fan filter on the P180 at filtering dust? It seems to be restricting a lot of airlow. You can really tell the difference if you turn the fan on high and feel the air with and without the filter, though the difference seems very small on low. Is it worth it to have the filter in place?

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:40 pm

Not to me. I never use filters and I think it's stupid idea. I'd rather open my case every three months and blow all the dust out rather than restrict the airflow.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:48 pm

i used to really like filters. but then i realized it takes just as much work to clean your filters every month or so as is does to just take a vacume cleaner hose or a can of air to vacume/blow out the inside of the case. plus the fact that it restricts airflow so much.

if you want an air filter, go out and actually buy an "air purifier"

swaction

Post by swaction » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 pm

When you say the Top fan - do you mean the front fan linked to the upper chamber or the top rear fan?

If it's the top rear fan, I'd suggest using this as an exhaust. If this is the fan you mean, then the spoiler is more for allowing unrestricted airflow (incase books, etc are placed on the case).

The front fan + filter (upper chamber) on my p180 has a slight layer of dust on it after a month or so of use... I guess the amount would depend on how dusty your place is. I still find small amounts of dust inside the case as some air is pulled in through the drives.

Has anyone been able to block off all the alternate intake locations (such as 5 1/4 drive bays)?