Why no mention of the nice Lian-Li Cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Dr.CrackEnHore

Why no mention of the nice Lian-Li Cases

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:12 pm

I really like the looks of the PC-V1100B, It seems very similar to the P180 but it is sure to have better fit and finish because it is made by Lian-Li. Is it soley the price and, somewhat no as readily available or is something else holding people back from this case.

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/ ... -V1100.htm

I have both the old Sonata and the P180 and I am somewhat unimpressed with the quality of there construction. The just seem to skimp on some of the real little touch that would take them from good to great.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:48 pm

If Lian-Li wasn't so obsessed with aluminium I'm sure their cases would gain more attention.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:51 pm

most people here prefer steel to aluminum for its acoustic properties. price is another factor.

Feyrhel

Post by Feyrhel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:15 pm

Ditto on the price and vibration.

I have to admit, though, it's one fun case if you really enjoy getting in there and working with tools. =)

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:55 pm

Price isn't really an issue. P180 costs $120 on average, same as any other midrange LianLi case or more. Aluminum is the problem though.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:29 am

But the P180 comes with some decent fans and a hard drive decoupling system. But the main reason for it's high price, as I understand it, is it's all around vibration resistant construction, effectively making it perhaps about as much above steel cases as steel cases are above aluminum cases(does that sound right, P180 owners?). So I disagree with the justification of the high price of aluminum cases as "no different from a P180".

I wonder, why won't the aluminum cools better than steel herd demand copper cases? Those would vibrate less, and would look pretty good.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:45 am

mathias wrote:But the P180 comes with some decent fans and a hard drive decoupling system. But the main reason for it's high price, as I understand it, is it's all around vibration resistant construction, effectively making it perhaps about as much above steel cases as steel cases are above aluminum cases(does that sound right, P180 owners?). So I disagree with the justification of the high price of aluminum cases as "no different from a P180".
Bottom line is, casting all other issues aside like noise and cooling, many LianLi cases are actually cheaper than Antec P180.

As for the fans, Antec TriCool fan might be good, but I find it way too loud even at "low". Maybe if I could slow it down even more... Anyway, I'm waiting for D12SL which should arrive this tuesday to replace them.

LOUISSSSS

Post by LOUISSSSS » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 pm

the p180 is a mid-priced mid tower. the lian li v1000 plus/ v1200 plus is higher priced, but comes with quality and beauty

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:23 pm

mathias wrote:I wonder, why won't the aluminum cools better than steel herd demand copper cases? Those would vibrate less, and would look pretty good.
Same reason they dont make golden toilets - everyone wants one, no one can afford one

FollowTheMusic

Post by FollowTheMusic » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:09 am

I just got my hands on a PC-V2100. Man, this is a beautiful case -- perfectly machined, solidly built, looks awesome, and it's HUGE. I am really looking forward to working with it.

Aluminum might be a problem for some. It kinda rattles when I rap on it, but it's completely empty. I am working hard to make a quiet system and will post a review/worklog when I'm done.

monosound

Post by monosound » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 am

HD noise isn't reduced by LL's HD cage.
So it is a one of the thing to think about.

Lian-li Vseries is very well constructed though :D

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:27 am

monosound wrote:HD noise isn't reduced by LL's HD cage.
So it is a one of the thing to think about.

Lian-li Vseries is very well constructed though :D
if you hard mount them, they'll make a little noise. I removed the plastic mounts, and suspended mine with some elastic shoestring. I can't hear any vibration from seeks, but, since the front of the case is very open, I can hear the operational whine from my hard drives. Odd thing is, my spinpoint seems to have more whine than my 36gb raptor.

epiphane

Post by epiphane » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:58 pm

I just put together a couple of LLs. One of them was the V type.

Most of the previous posters concerns were addressed as I had the same thoughts. The thread is over at the General Gallery.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28987

Although the images r small, there's lots of them...if u'r on dialup, grab some coffee while it's loading.

Cheers
Peter