Antec P150... what to do?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

m00k

Antec P150... what to do?

Post by m00k » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Ok so i am lost at this point and i would like a bit of good advice.

Some time ago my Antec TruePower which was in my CM atc-201 case died and i RMA-ed it. I got a new TRuePower psu, but it didn't fit my ATC-201.

I decided to upgrade my entire system and get a new case as part of that upgrade. After waiting for 3 weeks for the p150 i sold my old psu and case and went to get my p150 this morning, together with a ninja and a x2 4400. After a good start of the build i suddenly ran into a weird problem.

With 1 or more harddrive(s) connected the case fan spins for a few seconds and then the system dies. I also found the Void warranty label broken on my psu.

What do i do now? Take it bake to the shop? RMA the psu to Antec? What's the smart thing here?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:38 pm

After a good start of the build i suddenly ran into a weird problem.

With 1 or more harddrive(s) connected the case fan spins for a few seconds and then the system dies. I also found the Void warranty label broken on my psu.

What do i do now? Take it bake to the shop? RMA the psu to Antec? What's the smart thing here?
How is it possible you have managed to miss the mammoth thread addressing problems with the Neo HE PSU that comes with the P150????

Jumbo NeoHE Thread
Sure enough, just like others in this thread have experienced, my new Antec P150 case with Neo HE 430 power supply will not boot my ASUS A8N SLI Premium motherboard, revision 1.02. It powers up for a few seconds, then shuts down unceremoniously. I've only gotten as far as the BIOS setup screen once. ...

I got my Neo HE 430 in my P150 case. It wouldn't power up my Asus P5LD2 Deluxe mb so I swapped with an Antec SmartPower 2 450 which I pulled from a Sonata II case. The machine booted up fine so I figured the Neo HE was DOA.

Newegg would only exchange the PSU with a 350w unit (generic?) unless I returned the entire case so I contacted Antec. They are telling me there may be a compatibility problem with my motherboard but will check out my PSU.....

I have mailed Antec Europe support about swapping the NeoHE for a different 430w PSU or a Neopower and they said they could only swap like for like .....

Well what an interesting call with Antec support:

As you may know, I received a p150 new in the box from Newegg with a dud power supply (will not post my asus p5gdc).

Was told by Antec "bad power supply" and they sent out a new one.

Got it today, plugged it all in, nothing. Same as before.

Tech support now says, "another bad supply it appears".

Won't swap for another from their line, won't buy it back from me so I can get another one somewhere, they won't consider reimbursing me the $28 it will cost to send back to Newegg.....

I had second thoughts and was fairly sure my replacement 430HE wouldn't work either, so I changed the return RMA to a refund and instead got a SmartPower 500...

hmmm... speaking of guarantees, the one thins really weird about the PSU is, I got it from newegg with the seal that says "warrantee void when broken" allready torn.

m00k

Post by m00k » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:24 pm

cheers, but i didn't miss that thread. I am confused though about Antec policy.

Is it correct that i cannot use a p150 now (with my current setup), unless i am willing to spend more money on a different psu and try to sell the Neo HE with broken seal? Is the psu with broken seal covered under warranty or not? Is Antec Europe policy different from US policy?

Or is it all in that thread and am i being too lazy? if so: i am sorry.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:56 pm

I am confused though about Antec policy.
They don't seem to have a policy as far as I can tell. I would recommend calling Antec, telling them exactly what happened and saying you want one of the new revised Neo HE PSUs.

AMGPilot

Post by AMGPilot » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:15 am

jaganath wrote:They don't seem to have a policy as far as I can tell. I would recommend calling Antec, telling them exactly what happened and saying you want one of the new revised Neo HE PSUs.
They have a revised version of the Neo HE that works with ASUS Mother Boards?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:24 am

Vette-Pilot wrote:
jaganath wrote:They don't seem to have a policy as far as I can tell. I would recommend calling Antec, telling them exactly what happened and saying you want one of the new revised Neo HE PSUs.
They have a revised version of the Neo HE that works with ASUS Mother Boards?
well, according to antec, yes, but according to some on here no.

They are shipping revised units, but apparently your mileage may vary.

Mine finally worked (after 3 being shipped to me).

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:34 am

Yea, I think every one of the PSU units had the "warranty void if removed" sticker torn/broken. It's just that kind of thing right there that contributes to a bad image of a company overall. Lots of little things add up, warped doors on p180, 430 HE on the p150, stuff that SHOULD have been caught LONG before shipment to the retail channels.

m00k

Post by m00k » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:12 am

Hellspawn wrote:Yea, I think every one of the PSU units had the "warranty void if removed" sticker torn/broken. It's just that kind of thing right there that contributes to a bad image of a company overall. Lots of little things add up, warped doors on p180, 430 HE on the p150, stuff that SHOULD have been caught LONG before shipment to the retail channels.
Exactly! To me it looks like the psu's were openend after final production to fix some fault. It would be nice if they've taken the trouble to replace the sticker as well; how much more expensive can this be? Or are profit margins on these products that low?

I sent a mail to my dealer and to Antec Europe earlier today. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help sofar :)

hravn

Post by hravn » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:40 pm

Hellspawn wrote:Yea, I think every one of the PSU units had the "warranty void if removed" sticker torn/broken. It's just that kind of thing right there that contributes to a bad image of a company overall. Lots of little things add up, warped doors on p180, 430 HE on the p150, stuff that SHOULD have been caught LONG before shipment to the retail channels.
Hellspawn, could you post the serial number of your Neo HE, either here or in the Antec Neo HE 430 PSU Users Poll? Or is it hard to reach?

aqm consultant

Post by aqm consultant » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 am

Just bought a P150 from Fry's this afternoon. Serial number is S05090018810. As others have reported, the "warranty void if seal is broken" seal was broken (visible without removing the PSU). I'll be sending pics to Antec to document in case I have to RMA.

Don't have the rest of the parts yet for the build, but will report in the poll what happens. Current plan is Abit AN8-Ultra, AMD x2 4800+, SATA RAID 1 (2x Samsung 160Gb?) and a 300 Gb (SATA or IDE?).

Re previous complaints Antec only providing 4 drive rails for the 5-1/2" bays, I got really confused as only 3 rails were in the clips in the bottom rear of the case :roll: . Turns out there were 3 more hidden under the bottom HDD tray, so they really are sending out enough rails for all 3 5-1/2" bays. Helps to RTFM (and look at the pictures). :)

I've got to say this case is NICELY built. Solid and thoughtful.

[Edit - There seem to be S/Ns showing up in two series - S05090nnnnn and S05100nnnnn. Can't tell yet if these can be used to infer reliability or ...]