REAL Antec P180 Door Fix

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

nonstop

Post by nonstop » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:21 pm

gbeichho wrote:[It doesn't bother me enough to RMA anything. How did he glue it?
Simply he put it with a double-faced tape. Good luck.

djnotepad

Post by djnotepad » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:11 pm

@ jermaink or anyone else who has recieved the whole new front panel

what does this consist of exactly? are they pwr switch, reset switch, hdd led etc attached to this? how much of a hassle was it to change the front panel? was it pretty easy to take off and put on?

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am

djnotepad wrote:@ jermaink or anyone else who has recieved the whole new front panel

what does this consist of exactly? are they pwr switch, reset switch, hdd led etc attached to this? how much of a hassle was it to change the front panel? was it pretty easy to take off and put on?
It's pretty much the whole front door (look at your case from the top and sides, and see where the side panels and top connects, the front door is removable from there onwards).

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 am

Still no reply from antec, its been nearly two weeks now... Oh well, ill probably sell the case anyway, maybe ill get 100€ for it if im lucky. Im making a cover for the top hole out of polycarbonate, waiting for the paint to cure now. dont have anything else to do either..

nivek7

Post by nivek7 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:35 pm

nici wrote:Still no reply from antec, its been nearly two weeks now... Oh well, ill probably sell the case anyway, maybe ill get 100€ for it if im lucky. Im making a cover for the top hole out of polycarbonate, waiting for the paint to cure now. dont have anything else to do either..
Yeah, same here, I sent in a request about 2 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved a response. This customer service is quite disappointing...

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:57 pm

I've received several emails from Antec customer service. The latest is the door is on back order, and as soon as it arrives and ships I'm supposed to get another email.

mart_o_rama

I just did the procedure for straigtning the silver panel...

Post by mart_o_rama » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:52 pm

... and it has become a bit worse than it was before!

If I remove completely the silver panel, then the plastic part is totally straight. I think I might cut all of the tabs the keep the silver panel on the plastic door and simply glue it on.

Anybody has done something similar?

Regards,

9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:42 pm

I got my Antec P180 just before Christmas and the door was warped about a third of an inch. I finally exchanged it for a new style door (with magnets on switch). It is much better (the aluminum stays in the plastic frame, at least) but it definately isn't perfect or flat to the case front. After all the hassle of replacing it I guess I will accept and ignore (until it comes time to buy a new case, and then I will remember and exact my vengence!).

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:03 pm

Hmm, I guess i should definitely contact Antec then, my door warps pretty siginificantly, I don't have the center magnet, and the lower spot is empty.

Actually it's the same as the one with the piece of aluminum taped to it, now that I look at those pics.

Other than that though, it's a sweet case :D

EDIT: Just used the contact form on their site, will see how it goes.

mart_o_rama

Door is on back order

Post by mart_o_rama » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:15 pm

Stephen,

Got the same answer today from Antec, the door is on back order...

Martin

mart_o_rama

Post by mart_o_rama » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm

Got an email from UPS today stating that Antec shipped me a replacement door for the P180. Cool.

Since I removed the "aluminium" cover off the door to keep it straight, i haven't really thought about it anymore. It would be great to have the case back in top (intended) shape.

Martin

scorp

door replacement

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:28 am

Today I got my P180 door replacement from Antec. It is perfect :). They seem to have added an aluminium piece on the inside of the door as well. I'll post some pictures later. Anyways, I'm very happy with Antec customer support :P

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:14 am

the pictures :

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:58 am

Nice, very nice. The problem with P180 door is actually much more trivial than heat contraction/expansion, the aluminum panel is simply too big to fit properly. Antec designers wanted it so snap into the plastic door and made it slighlty bigger than they should have, as a result, most of the doors bulge. Which actually makes me think if the problem is really solved. If they did not redesign the pront aluminum cover, the problem may come back.

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:46 am

The front of the door doesn't seem changed (at least I can't notice anything different - the aluminium seems to be of the exact size to fill the plastic frame as it doesn't move even a little bit), but it doesn't bulge at all at the same room temperature at which the other door was badly warped.

mart_o_rama

Post by mart_o_rama » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:00 am

scorp,

From your pictures I can't make out how the front and back aluminium panels snaps (or sticks) onto the plastic door. Can you see it?

On the original door, I think just cutting the aluminium tabs that wraps onto the plastic door should help, then you only need to stick the alu panel onto the pastic door itself.

Martin

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:27 am

No, I can't .. sorry :(. The aluminium on the interior of the door seems to be glued. Sorry about my crappy picture taking skills.

photo 1
photo 2
photo 3

Moderator edit: Oversize photos embedded into links. Please do this yourself next time.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Wait.... the last photo is of the new door, right? So it still bulges a little?

mart_o_rama

Post by mart_o_rama » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:37 pm

Scorp, thanks for the updated photos!

It doesn't appear to bulge, although it seems to stick out a little, but evenly, so it should still look good... hopefully.

Martin

scorp

Post by scorp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:48 pm

It does stick out just a little bit (you can't really notice if you don't look very carefull), but it still looks very good, especially when compared to the old door.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:49 pm

Well my door is on back order, hopefully it will be soon if they are shipping them out though. Will report back when I receive it.

mart_o_rama

Post by mart_o_rama » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:40 am

Got my new door yesterday and it is the same as Scorp, with alu on both sides of the door. The door is a bit heavier and I find that it gives a better feeling when operating it; it feels more sturdy. It is very close to being perfectly straight, however it rubs a little bit on the top plastic part of the case when closed fully. The magnet for sticking onto the power button is relocated compared to the original door, which I think helps making it close better.

All in all, I'm now pretty satisfied with the P180 case. :P

Martin

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:37 am

Yay! Mine has shipped out...UPS got it yesterday, and it is in transit, although UPS has it pegged for delivery next Friday, (the 10th). Hoping it gets here sooner, will post an update and any pics if it's different from previous posters.

psiu

AAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH

Post by psiu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:31 pm

Un-be-liev-able.

Got the new door today, (1 day early), it's quite nice.

3 magnets (one right at power button location, one long along indent, one lower one) the inside aluminum panel, it's quite hefty and very sturdy feeling.

And when I close the door, it hits the power button *computer-off!*

Lock door, just need to push on the door to turn it back on.

What the heck? Has anyone else had a problem like this? I have an older P180 I believe, I bought mine in August and the power button sits completely flush with the plastic around it, are newer ones recessed or something?

johnnq

Post by johnnq » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:50 pm

do i call newegg or antec?

psiu

Post by psiu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:36 pm

johnnq wrote:do i call newegg or antec?
Antec are the ones with the replacement parts. You should be able to handle it with their online support, though the phone probably would be quicker.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:48 pm

You'd think by now they'd have some kind of stock of these parts on hand to send out. I called them Monday to get a replacement for the front door and both side panels (both sides are coming apart, purchased it 9/1/2005) and he said he'd put in the order, never mentioned about being on backorder. I called them today for an update on another issue with the case and asked about my previous Ticket ID regarding my replacement parts. He said it'll be a minimum of 2-3 weeks.

I think this will be my last Antec product for a while, the case I'm more disappointed with than happy and support so far has been so-so at best.

nivek7

Post by nivek7 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:35 pm

For me, it has been over two months since I first contacted Antec about the problem. I still have not received my replacement parts.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:09 am

Over 2 months? Wow, I got my parts within about 2 or 3 weeks, I'd say. Have you tried calling again since then to make sure they haven't *forgotten*?

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:40 pm

I decided to try to get one of the replacement doors, but Antec have requested I send them proof of purchase before they can deal with the request.

Does anyone know what they would accept? If they're referring a document that's included with the case then I can't find it. Do you think a copy of the order documentation from the online store who supplied it satisfy them?