Anyone see the cooking oil submerged PC? "silent".

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Anyone see the cooking oil submerged PC? "silent".

Post by Gxcad » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:31 pm

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/ ... _the_fans/

Anyone read about that article? I have no idea how new or old it is, but it certainly caught my eye when I read "silent". Granted most people that say "silent" cannot be trusted (especially THG), but with no fans I can't help but wonder? Any comments?

-Ken

len509

Post by len509 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Submerged quiet pc !

This is nothing new. Check out the link above and try the search function.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:05 pm

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

The "Oil PC" is like a floater in your toilet bowl, no matter how many times you flush it always surfaces again.

It works on exactly the same principle as watercooling, only using a different heat transfer medium. Also, depending on the type of oil you use, you would have to change it every 30 days, maybe less. For the same reasons as watercooling setups are not silent, this is not. If they don't have pumps you are again relying on convection alone, and the heat will soon build up and fry your components. Not to mention the difficulty of wholly submerging hard drives, power supplies, etc.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:54 am

Bah! I went brain dead for a while when I posted that, as I recall Rusty actually did this as well. Very few ideas that others haven't already thought of around here. I guess whats more interesting instead is first hand experience experimenting. Personally, I'll probably never try submerging.

-Ken