P150 versus P180 case cooling

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jimmyzaas

P150 versus P180 case cooling

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Apparently, they are both quiet. However, I like the appearance of the P180 better. I have two concerns while deciding between these two cases.

1. Which provides better overall cooling? I noticed that while the P180 cools the CPU extremely well, it seems to have trouble cooling the motherboard chipset and GPU. Also, hard disk cooling. The P150 seem to have a more direct airflow towards the hard disks if a 92mm fan is installed in the front. I would think the P150 would win in the overall cooling category.

2. Dust. If the P180 needs one of the back fans to blow inwards to cool the CPU, that would mean dust build up within the case. Do you need to have the case fan blowing into the case in order for a heatsink like the scythe ninja to cool the CPU efficiently?

I also noticed that the P150 drive bay covers aren't just drive bay covers. They actually pop out like the P160 covers when you press the eject button (stealthed bay covers?). Is that true?

I've been trying to decide between the two for a while now. The P150 has enough flaws (PSU, rubber bands) to make me think over my options. I am wondering how the P180 compares to the P150. Any suggestions are welcome.

m0002a

Re: P150 versus P180 case cooling

Post by m0002a » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:02 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:The P150 has enough flaws (PSU, rubber bands) to make me think over my options.
You can sell the PSU on ebay and you don't have to use the rubber bands.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 pm

You can’t really compare the two without knowing what kind of components you are going to install in them. From what I understand cooling is your first priority and noise comes second.

I’ve owned both and I think the main difference between the two is the size. P180 being the bigger one has its own pros and cons. Basically a smaller case like the P150 has smaller airflow paths which helps a lot with the temps, a Scythe Ninja could get away passive even with a exhaust fan like the Nexus next to it in the P150. Overall its a lot easier to install, configure and upgrade a system in P150 then the 180.

P150’s hard drive suspension is good but got lots of room for improvements; mine was very stable even though I wasn’t very nice to it. HD temps in P150 were a touch better than the P180 because of the direct airflow in P150 (fans are in front). If you hate HD noise then P150 really is the way to go.

Regarding the cover bay, yes it is true and it works like a charm. PSU, looks like Antec has fixed the NeoHE problem so you should be ok there. In my case I will eventually sell the Neo when a new Seasonic PSU comes out, hopefully modular with a good fan.

And don’t forget, “Chicks love P150”.

CloudST12345

Post by CloudST12345 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:35 pm

On the p180 there are 2 front grilles that both have fan filters and an optional fan mount for 120mm fans. The HDD happens to be behind those grilles as well. So, in turn, it could cool your HDD and allow air from the front of the case to travel in and out the back, effectively cooling the motherboard and whatnot. The PSU is housed in a separate chamber on the bottom of the case and has own cooling unit (120mm fan with mount).

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did notice the P180 supports another front fan. However, how much noisier would the system be with quad 120mm's versus one 120mm and two 92mm fans?

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:35 pm

My two cents...

I've used both, but I prefer the P150. I just wish the P150 didn't come with a crappy PSU (early revision). In my case, I have to send the PSU back to Antec and see if they will replace it because it is incompatible with 3/4 of the motherboards I've tried it with.

I've heard that they have fixed the PSU in the past two months, so this may not be an issue, any more. In my case, I already had a Seasonic S12-430, so I just used that, but I'm a bit steamed that I paid for an included PSU that doesn't work.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:56 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:Thanks for the replies. I did notice the P180 supports another front fan. However, how much noisier would the system be with quad 120mm's versus one 120mm and two 92mm fans?

I think you are on a wrong direction here, It doesn’t matter how many fans the case supports, it matters how many you will use , what kind and at what voltage. I think you are taking the case too serious as a silencer and cooler, other components such as heasinks and fans are important as well. I think you are better off getting the P150, it’s an easier case and you will have a bigger chance of making the right configuration out of it.

Good luck.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:36 pm

spolitta wrote:
jimmyzaas wrote:Thanks for the replies. I did notice the P180 supports another front fan. However, how much noisier would the system be with quad 120mm's versus one 120mm and two 92mm fans?

I think you are on a wrong direction here, It doesn’t matter how many fans the case supports, it matters how many you will use , what kind and at what voltage. I think you are taking the case too serious as a silencer and cooler, other components such as heasinks and fans are important as well. I think you are better off getting the P150, it’s an easier case and you will have a bigger chance of making the right configuration out of it.

Good luck.
That is true but I just like my case to be well ventilated. I still need to replace my video card hsf as it seems to be the noisiest part of the system lately

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:11 pm

jimmyzaas wrote:
That is true but I just like my case to be well ventilated.
Both of these cases offer great airflow managements, you cant go wrong with either one. Also don’t expect anyone to tell you which one is better because there is no simple answer, however noise wise P150 is the winner.

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:36 pm

spolitta wrote:
jimmyzaas wrote:
That is true but I just like my case to be well ventilated.
Both of these cases offer great airflow managements, you cant go wrong with either one. Also don’t expect anyone to tell you which one is better because there is no simple answer, however noise wise P150 is the winner.
Thanks for your input again. I just went through a 3 page thread outlining pros and cons of the P180. It might be a little more work then I would have liked. I need a new PSU anyway.. SOB enermax 450w is pretty noisy.. (the fan clicks).. so.. P150 it is.

hravn

Post by hravn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 am

I'd say that you shouldn't use the front fans in the P150, with just a Nexus 120mm as exhaust I get HD temps at around 35C (with three suspended harddrives, 2 Hitachi/IBM and 1 Maxtor). It's possible that one or two 92mm as intake would lower that even further but that is already 10C better than when I had 3 harddrives in the P160 (I know, crappy case).

So, even though I have no direct experience with the P180, I'd say that you should go for the P150. The PSU can be a bit of a pain as you already know, but I at least have had no problems with my rubber bands (but they really should include a couple of spares).

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 pm

OK. After a long month of scrutiny, I finally broke down and bought a P150. Coming from a SX1030 user, this case is tiny! It almost feels uncomfortable to fool around in there. Not to mention, my SLK-947U heatsink fan clip is touching the bottom of the Neo HE. Oh yea, I scraped my hand while trying to pop the damn rear IO plate out.

Overall, after a few hours of work cramming my crap in, I felt the P150 was the best investment I've made in a while. My Leadtek 6800's fan was becoming noisy and whiny. That was totally audible in my SX1030. The P150 at least silenced partially. With 1 120mm tricool on low, and 2 92mm tricools on low, I'm still amazed at how much quieter the system has become (The SX1030 had quad stealth fans). It's really like night and day.

I've also opted to use the harddrive rails instead. Not that I fear of the rubber bands snapped (I do), but have you noticed how those grommets are as soft as a sponge? Seriously, I built my sisters rig in a SLK3700AMB, and that crap was hard as rock. I do however wonder if the rails impede airflow much more so than suspended.

On another note, I've noticed the black plastic dampener stuck on the side panels are rather rigid and thin.. does that stuff really work?

hravn

Post by hravn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:01 am

Well, the HDs are more quiet when suspended, but it's up to you. If you are worried about the rubber bands snapping you could use MikeC's advice: insert a HD bay/rails inverted under the HD(s), which would make the drop at most a centimeter or something.

The "dampening material" is apparently not dampening, but should make the case more rigid and thus less prone to vibration...

Maybe you should try to measure HD temps with the 92mm fans and without. Might not make much of difference.