I-Star Nitro AX Case: Pluses and Minuses

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gud4u

I-Star Nitro AX Case: Pluses and Minuses

Post by gud4u » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:23 am

There are numerous full reviews of this case - this is a summary of my own likes and dislikes about this replacement for my ugly old Antec 10xxx-series case.

I bought this case with attractive appearance and doored case as high priorities, aware that some mods would probably be required.

System:
- Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo
- 3700+ @ 250X11 (2750MHz)
- XP90 CPU cooler with 92mm Nexus fan @ 12V (foam vibration-decoupled)
- Stock 120mm case exhaust fan (not vibration-decoupled - yet)

Pluses:
- Attractive.
- Nice Antec-style side door release.
- Sturdy steel case behind the plastic front.
- Stock 'Cho Liang' 120mm case exhaust fan has adequate flow and fairly quiet at 12V.
- Lift-out mobo tray with nice guides and two thumbscrews.

Minuses:
- Front door latches with plastic hooks.
- Front intake restricted with pin-cushion bezel/filter (removed for ventilation).
- HD trays have 'noise-isolation' grommets - but they're hard - simply not effective.
- Side air intake duct useless - too long for XP90 cpu cooler.
- Side-door ventilation holes leak fan-noise (taped over).

Install mods used:
- Front intake grill and filter removed for ventilation.
- Front case metal grill snipped out.
- Loose-mesh low-restriction filter in place (1" fiberglass furnace filter).
- HD suspended vertically with foam top/bottom and snubbers.
- Side-door ventilation-holes taped over to hush fan noise.
- 92mm Nexus CPU cooling fan decoupled with foam strips (no real perceptible difference).

As modded:
- CPU/Case temps 31C/31C at idle (MBM5 monitor).
- CPU/Case temps 47C/32C under Prime95 Small FFT torture test.
- The simple HD-on-foam mod effectively decoupled HD vibration.
- Case Ventilation is better than expected for single stock vent fan.
- Hard drive nice and cool to touch.

The lift-out mobo tray is nice - but it places (elevates) the CPU heatsink/fan closer to the left door - which makes the side vent too long for use with my XP90 cooler. Just as well, since side-ducts tend to short-circuit case ventilation (hot drives) and leak fan noise.

Way too much restriction on the input due to the pincushion mesh/filter. The plastic under this assembly is not that restrictive.

The HD drive trays provide poor drive vibration isolation - and the frame is not easily removable. Vertical suspension is the simplest apparent drive-decoupling mod.

The stock 120mm rear case vent fan, marked 'Cho Liang', provides a good combination of adequate air flow with low noise.

It sucks to have to mod a new case, but after reading a lot of case reviews it became apparent that the perfect case is a myth.

All thing considered, I'm pleased with this case. Good looking, quiet, easy to service, cool-running and inexpensive. Installation was childs-play, and the mods were simple.

If you've been looking for a case - I hope this helps!

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:39 am

While I probably will build a rather unconventional wood case next time...If I was going for a moddable pre-made-I'd do the Nitro over an Antec.

Basically----The Antec or Nitro included fans,low noise mounts are about halfway there-so I'm not much concerned. The Nitro is big,neat door,can take a big fan,heavy duty..lots of nice stuff.