Bad Vibes, lol

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

FireWolf

Bad Vibes, lol

Post by FireWolf » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:05 pm

When i start playing FEAR, my case has gets bad vibrations. it's on the right side where the motherboard trray is attached, i don't think any of my other fans even increase in speed so it must be the graphics card. when i touch that side of the case and push it in a little, it stops. my question is, will plastic screws get rid of that, i don't see how the graphics card can send vibrations all the way to the case.

btw, i have an eVGA copper 7800GT cooler (i love it, currently at 499/1.16 and it never goes above 62C

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:11 pm

it may be the hard drive also. elastic suspension would fix this if it is the hard drive.

you could also just lower the rpm of the fan on the video card. but temps and your OC would probably suffer.

the best way to reduce case vibration is to weight it down. i find the sound dampening panels (like acoustic products) with the rubber base and foam top do really well. the sheets are heavy because of the rubber and it does great to weight the panel down and keep it from vibrating.

FireWolf

Post by FireWolf » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:58 pm

i havn't seen rubber case mats, any links?

wim

Re: Bad Vibes, lol

Post by wim » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:43 pm

FireWolf wrote:When i start playing FEAR, my case has gets bad vibrations...
hm, incoming vibes, unknown origin.. maybe it's Paxton Fettel or that cute little ghost girl

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:30 pm

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/aco ... eluxe.html

it came down in price, when i bought it it was $100.

gud4u

Post by gud4u » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:03 pm

Simple 'first aid' approach would be to simply wedge a bit of foam between left-side case panel and mobo tray - just under the spot you pressed to silence the vibes.

Not an exotic fix, but would probably work just fine.

Hope this helps!