Lian Li V600

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

daba
Friend of SPCR

Lian Li V600

Post by daba » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:33 pm

Has anyone seen this new Lian Li V600? It looks very fun, and presumably quiet. Maybe I'll redo my system with one of these puppies:

Review

It's just a shrunken V1000, but the V1000 is a little too big for me. Hopefully, it can disappate heat fast enough. A Pentium M and one of these would be pretty good.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:28 am

Is it just me or does it seem that this case has basicly no room for a cpu-cooler?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 am

I really like the G50A version, but it also places the psu opposite the cpu leaving virtually no room for a heatsink.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:42 am

This is very true -- what exactly is the maximum height of a CPU cooler one could fit in there? In addition, the PSU fan sucking (or not) the hot air would be problematic as that may result in an increase in fan noise.

pedro

Post by pedro » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:37 pm

What do you reckon the chances are of fitting a Ninja in there on this board: http://www.theinquirer.net/images/artic ... _4_X_8.jpg

:?:

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:18 am

pedro wrote:What do you reckon the chances are of fitting a Ninja in there on this board: http://www.theinquirer.net/images/artic ... _4_X_8.jpg

:?:
None

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Heatsinks

Post by gb115b » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:53 am

how about a Zalman or a XP120??

it seems as though the PSU is pulling air through the side panel (not sucking in hot air from the CPU)

or am i mistaken?

i'd liek to see a test of it

i was interested in using this case for a (reasonably) quiet and compact SLI system

McBanjo

Re: Heatsinks

Post by McBanjo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:29 am

gb115b wrote:how about a Zalman or a XP120??

it seems as though the PSU is pulling air through the side panel (not sucking in hot air from the CPU)

or am i mistaken?

i'd liek to see a test of it

i was interested in using this case for a (reasonably) quiet and compact SLI system
Since there are no PSUs that suck air throught the sidepanel you are definatly mistaken.
Since there isn't any info about the maxheigh of a heatsink only Lian-Li knows for sure but both flower-Zalmans and XP-120 might fit. Not sure you can have any fan on the XP tho

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:49 am

McBanjo wrote:Since there are no PSUs that suck air throught the sidepanel you are definatly mistaken.
He meant the case's side panel, and he's quite correct. Look at both the side panel's lower hole and also the locations of the PSU mounting screws. This case definitely allows 120mm PSUs to breathe outside air.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:20 am

You have to wonder what the hell Lian Li were thinking. Why not just shrink the V series and make it a microATX board? Instead they had to put the PSU where it suffocates the CPU cooler.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:07 am

HammerSandwich wrote:
McBanjo wrote:Since there are no PSUs that suck air throught the sidepanel you are definatly mistaken.
He meant the case's side panel, and he's quite correct. Look at both the side panel's lower hole and also the locations of the PSU mounting screws. This case definitely allows 120mm PSUs to breathe outside air.
Ops, my bad

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:10 am

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 am

Even though I don't like the look of the V1000 I do you like this V series. The two main things that trouble though is the lack of space for the CPU HS/F and the fact that Lian Li seems to have chosen a non-standard method for mounting their fans. If you read the SystemCooling review they seem to have chosen to use a different threading on their fans to accommodate thumbscrews. So swapping out the fans with something better and/or quieter, something I almost always do may or may not be very easy.

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

poo

Post by gb115b » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:56 am

this case is out for me too due to the fan threading

thanks for posting that review...

interestingly did they mount the PSU upside down?

coolvi

Zalman seems to have a solution

Post by coolvi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:24 am

The new part is called the CNPS8000 which is said to be "compatible with slim and low profile computer enclosures." It only requires 62.5mm clearance above the motherboard...

Coincidence? :roll:

McBanjo

Re: Zalman seems to have a solution

Post by McBanjo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am

coolvi wrote:The new part is called the CNPS8000 which is said to be "compatible with slim and low profile computer enclosures." It only requires 62.5mm clearance above the motherboard...

Coincidence? :roll:
Kind of, I doubt it's done for the V600 in mind but since HTPC is very popular and will probibly be even more popular then it's a need for low profile coolers. It probibly fits in the V600 nicely

antonm

Post by antonm » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:48 am

I recently built a V1000. There is certainly enough width for the Ninja. I'm running an AMD X2 3800+ with a passive Ninja on it, passive Radeon 9800 PRO and only one Nexus 120mm case fan at 600RPM. CPU temp idles at 36C, 2 HDDs at 31C with Cool n Quiet enabled. Lots of airflow through the cheese-grater case. Totally inaudible in my office compared to ambient noise.

HOWEVER, these cases have virtually NO soundproofing quality, I'm running 2.5 drives, pretty much any 3.5 drive will be audible in this case, and too anoying for me. I tried a new Samsung SP2004C, but it was too loud for me

KoniasP

Lian Li V600 CPU Coolink, PSU Orientation, Fans Installation

Post by KoniasP » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:07 am

Hellou

I own Lian Li V600 in Black. I have a few answers for you.
My CPU is nonOC Athalon 64 X2 3800+,
PSU Silverstone Strider 600W with modular cables. I bought shorter cable kit for optimal cable management. The inside fan was to loud so i change it to Nexus 12cm Black an white.
Fan Controlel Zalman MFC1 for 6 fans max.

1. CPU Coolink and PSU Orintation.Both orientation of PSU are possible. Its up to You. I try both. Max height of CPU fan is abou 80-85mm.
Here are three variants.
a)
This is my final var.
PSU suck fresh air from outside. Only source of air for CPU Cooler is front 12cm fan.
I Cut a hole for 92mm fan to the bottom of the case right between PSU and mobo. 92 mm zalman fan was used. Noise is aceptable only at the lowest speed (7V).It blows fresh air from the bottom of the case right to the CPU Cooler and improve coolink of chipset too.
I Used Zalman FS-C77 Fatal1ty cooler. It has 12cm fan. To 1200 -1300 rpm very quiet. Height of Zalman is 66mm.
b)
PSU Fan oriented to suck hot air from inside of the case.
To Use same fan is not very good idea. Circulation af air is bad. Fans blows against each other. But I try Silversone TJ06 like pasive, where the PSU fan suck air from this passive. Its even possible mount some thick fan from the oposite side of pasive to strenghten air flow. I Use 92 mm Zalman (25mm thick). Its Works Fine. But PSU Fan is rotating fasterthangs to higher temperatures = Bigger Noise.
c)
Invert PSU fan to suck fresh air to the case and use standart CPU Cooler. I didnt try.

Cases Fans. At 12V are to Loud. AT lover Voltage its acceptable but air flow is to low. I CHange every 12cm fun to Black & White Nexus except 12cmCPU cooler fan.

Side LinLi fan hasnt standart holes fo screws but thread for thumb screws.
Instaling of standart fans is possible. Just some presure is needed.

My Temperatures. With PSU fans out and Zalman Cooler.
Ambient Temp 28 degree of Celsius
Idle:
CPU 32 - 34
CHipset 38 - 41

Burn:
CPU 36 - 38
CHipset 44 - 46

KoniasP

Re: Lian Li V600 CPU Coolink, PSU Orientation, Fans Installa

Post by KoniasP » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:10 am

Please Sorry y TERRIBLE English
KoniasP wrote:Hellou

I own Lian Li V600 in Black. I have a few answers for you.
My CPU is nonOC Athalon 64 X2 3800+,
PSU Silverstone Strider 600W with modular cables. I bought shorter cable kit for optimal cable management. The inside fan was to loud so i change it to Nexus 12cm Black an white.
Fan Controlel Zalman MFC1 for 6 fans max.

1. CPU Coolink and PSU Orintation.Both orientation of PSU are possible. Its up to You. I try both. Max height of CPU fan is abou 80-85mm.
Here are three variants.
a)
This is my final var.
PSU suck fresh air from outside. Only source of air for CPU Cooler is front 12cm fan.
I Cut a hole for 92mm fan to the bottom of the case right between PSU and mobo. 92 mm zalman fan was used. Noise is aceptable only at the lowest speed (7V).It blows fresh air from the bottom of the case right to the CPU Cooler and improve coolink of chipset too.
I Used Zalman FS-C77 Fatal1ty cooler. It has 12cm fan. To 1200 -1300 rpm very quiet. Height of Zalman is 66mm.
b)
PSU Fan oriented to suck hot air from inside of the case.
To Use same fan is not very good idea. Circulation af air is bad. Fans blows against each other. But I try Silversone TJ06 like pasive, where the PSU fan suck air from this passive. Its even possible mount some thick fan from the oposite side of pasive to strenghten air flow. I Use 92 mm Zalman (25mm thick). Its Works Fine. But PSU Fan is rotating fasterthangs to higher temperatures = Bigger Noise.
c)
Invert PSU fan to suck fresh air to the case and use standart CPU Cooler. I didnt try.

Cases Fans. At 12V are to Loud. AT lover Voltage its acceptable but air flow is to low. I CHange every 12cm fun to Black & White Nexus except 12cmCPU cooler fan.

Side LinLi fan hasnt standart holes fo screws but thread for thumb screws.
Instaling of standart fans is possible. Just some presure is needed.

My Temperatures. With PSU fans out and Zalman Cooler.
Ambient Temp 28 degree of Celsius
Idle:
CPU 32 - 34
CHipset 38 - 41

Burn:
CPU 36 - 38
CHipset 44 - 46

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks for writing about your experiences, KoniasP! And your English is actually not that bad.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:02 am

As long as people understand it then the english is fine. Minor spell-errors and gramatics is common (especially at the weekends :-P) even with people that has english as their native language

Nice of you to share your experience. :-)

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

fan swaps

Post by gb115b » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:26 am

hey thanks for the info on your case experience...

is it possible to swap the fans with nexus ones?

I read about the fans being threaded, is there some moddign involved to get it to work?

G

KoniasP

Re: fan swaps

Post by KoniasP » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:14 am

Two preinstalled case fan are changeble.
Little problem is the side fan. I wrote about it. You can screw clasic fan ( for example Nexus). The screw must be pushed through little narrow groove.
gb115b wrote:hey thanks for the info on your case experience...

is it possible to swap the fans with nexus ones?

I read about the fans being threaded, is there some moddign involved to get it to work?

G

tg401

Post by tg401 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:17 pm

I can't figure out how to attach a new side fan. I am trying to replace the stock fan with a Noctua. The stock side fan is threaded, therefore the thumb screws won't fit the Noctua. Is there a way to thread the fan myself? Alternately, the regular screws just don't fit through the opening without damaging it, and then you would lose the sliding action to position the fan.

Any suggestions?

raikiri

Post by raikiri » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:58 am

frankgehry wrote:I really like the G50A version, but it also places the psu opposite the cpu leaving virtually no room for a heatsink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/ ... li-g50.jpg[/img]

How I have mine set up, however in true SPCR fasion I will be making it much quieter soon - Ninja on the cpu, freezer 7 pro on the graphics (:D) and 2x Sharkoon silent eagle 1000 fans at around 750rpm.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:48 am

Bumping this to hopefully add more to the V600 thread. I hope some current owners can offer input on my quandary.

I'm considering using this with a hard drive caddy and 5-7 hard drives. SE16-style drives that are on the low end of heat and vibration.

Seek noise isn't a problem, but I AM worried about vibrations. There's nothing worse than a vibrating case.

Is it even viable to try this in a V600?

As far as the exact setup goes, say 4 hard drives in 3 5.25 bays, 2 hard drives in the bottom bays, two slow 120s outputting on side and PSU rear, and one 120 on the front. Negative pressure and convection sucking cold air through the front top hard drives and out the side fan. HDDs in either a startech trayless bay for fun, or a lian li bay if I NEED the fan, or a coolermaster/other bay if I need the vibration insulation.

I've always owned steel cases, and even some of them have vibration problems. Is it worth wasting time and money on this V600 endeavor? :)