P150 rear 120mm grille noise

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mkygod

P150 rear 120mm grille noise

Post by mkygod » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:25 am

I am thinking of cutting off the grille as i think much of noise is being caused by the air turbulance of my Nexus120 hitting the grille. However, it doesnt look very good with the grills cut with snippers, and I don't want a big gaping hole for fingers and wires to fall into. So I am considering on replacing the grill with your basic circular wire grill.

What I want to know is does a wire grille have considerably less air restriction/turbulance compared to the stock P150 grilll?

And are there other considerations for grills i should look at? Some form of a grill is a must for me.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Wire grills are probably the least restrictive solution, however, they do have a 20% reduction of the airflow so no fan grill at all is preferable, especially when using slow running fans. There are mod grills that are less restrictive, but they are so open that their function as fan grills are lost.

MassMan
Friend of SPCR

Post by MassMan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Could just use some sort of thread. Sewing thread or the like. Works fine for me :D

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:58 pm

No grill is the best for air flow. I would guess effect of the grill is proportional to its distance away from the fan it is. It would be interesting to test the effects of a grill at the end of a duct, an open duct and a fan at the beginning of the duct.
I suspect the flow restriction of a fan blowing into a duct would be significant compared to a fan blowing into open space.