Antec finally released all-black P180??!??

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hughuy

Antec finally released all-black P180??!??

Post by hughuy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:42 pm

long time viewer, first time posting
i guess Antec finally released the black p180, besides the special spcr edition
but wonder why the price is higher than the normal? :x
http://www.svc.com/p180b.html
wonder if there are any new improvements?

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm

I don’t mean to rain on your parade but the black p180 (other than the SPCR edition) has been available some places for months.

hughuy

Post by hughuy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:39 pm

it hasn't been in the U.S. though

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:49 pm

hughuy wrote:it hasn't been in the U.S. though
yes, it has, but only exclusively at http://www.endpcnoise.com/

It's the same-o-same-o P180, only black. Black is the new black.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 pm

If the P180B is so widely available, then why is Antec hiding the product page? :?
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81802#

EDIT: On April 20, 2006, Tweaktown was notified by Antec about this new case. To answer rpsgc's question below, the only difference seems to be the absence of the SPCR logo and this case is called the P180B. Not sure what the SPCR version is called.
EDIT#2: Newegg has it in stock according to silentpcreview.pricegrabber.com.
Take care.
Last edited by Goldmember on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:37 pm

It doesn't bear the spcr logo, must be a new model right?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:48 pm

Question for Antec: Does the P180B fix the quality problems being reported by your customers, or do we just get black warped case panels this time?

bobov

Post by bobov » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:05 pm

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:23 pm

The pictures show that slot covers are now "perforated" with openings to let the air in... :? Is that a new feature on all current P180's including silver ones, or blacks only?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:49 am

I guess it's final then, the black version is no longer spcr exclusive.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:51 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:The pictures show that slot covers are now "perforated" with openings to let the air in... :? Is that a new feature on all current P180's including silver ones, or blacks only?
New P180? IDK, but it's not on any P180 I've ever seen.

P180B
P180

krille

Post by krille » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:08 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
The pictures show that slot covers are now "perforated" with openings to let the air in... :? Is that a new feature on all current P180's including silver ones, or blacks only?
I just hope it won't screw up air-flow inside the case. Does anyone else know anything more about this? :shock:

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:08 am

What is the point of having dust filters in the front vents when air is being let in almost everywhere?

My P180, the old version without the perforated rear slots, is letting in dust almost everywhere. The side vents on the front actually bypasses the dust filters.

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:05 am

TomZ wrote:Question for Antec: Does the P180B fix the quality problems being reported by your customers, or do we just get black warped case panels this time?
LOL, good question. I think the pics at newegg show an aluminum-reinforced front panel.
krille wrote:Does anyone else know anything more about this?
Nope. I first noticed them on page 2 of the the NSK2400 review. We definitely need to see if this is a good or bad thing. Looks like I have to go search for my duct tape again :).

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:07 pm

It also doesn't have the VGA duct, drive rails just come in a little plastic bag--though I don't know if that's how the standard P180 is coming now too.

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:09 pm

Ackelind wrote:What is the point of having dust filters in the front vents when air is being let in almost everywhere?

My P180, the old version without the perforated rear slots, is letting in dust almost everywhere. The side vents on the front actually bypasses the dust filters.
The side vents (along with the bottom opening) provide the air that goes throught the filters? The only way it will bypass is through the cracks around the drive bays.

krille

Post by krille » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Goldmember wrote:We definitely need to see if this is a good or bad thing. Looks like I have to go search for my duct tape again :).
Yup, definitely. I'm a bit worried about how the perforated back plates affect air-flow. Please keep us updated and if anyone knows anything more please post!
psiu wrote:It also doesn't have the VGA duct, drive rails just come in a little plastic bag--though I don't know if that's how the standard P180 is coming now too.
I'm quite sure this is a good thing though, considering the resonance the VGA duct was responsible for. Perhaps these perforated back plates are the "silent" replacement?

~ Kris

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:43 pm

It is official. Behold, the P180B. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129017

Differences/Improvements:
- Ditched teh VGA/CPU duct
- Added wire clips for VGA 'ducting' (basically they give you 2 wire clips similar to what ThermalRight gives to customers with their CPU heatsinks to hold the fans, but these do not 'dig' into the screw holes. They just rely on side pressure) Clips into specific holes on upper HDD cage so that you can mount a fan on the BACK of the same upper HDD cage that has a fan already in the front to 'better duct' air towards your GPU. To me I dont really understand / think it's anything drastic.
- Added 'venting' PCI slot covers. The PCI Slot covers have now vents built into them, for better cooling, (or more dust?).

and that's all that I can really see. I'm guessing they obviously fixed teh door problem with it bulging towards the middle with the 1st P180s/SPCR Black Editions.

I feel somewhat cheated in teh fact that I paid nearly $150 for my P180 Black SPCR Edition, whereas this is only $130. However, I have to remember that some of that $$$ went to SPCR for funding ;)... so in the end I guess it's all good.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:37 pm

acaurora wrote: - Added 'venting' PCI slot covers. The PCI Slot covers have now vents built into them, for better cooling, (or more dust?).
maybe they noticed the using duct was worse than takeing the slot covers off.

krille

Post by krille » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:21 am

acaurora wrote:It is official. Behold, the P180B. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129017

Differences/Improvements:
- Ditched teh VGA/CPU duct
- Added wire clips for VGA 'ducting' (basically they give you 2 wire clips similar to what ThermalRight gives to customers with their CPU heatsinks to hold the fans, but these do not 'dig' into the screw holes. They just rely on side pressure) Clips into specific holes on upper HDD cage so that you can mount a fan on the BACK of the same upper HDD cage that has a fan already in the front to 'better duct' air towards your GPU. To me I dont really understand / think it's anything drastic.
- Added 'venting' PCI slot covers. The PCI Slot covers have now vents built into them, for better cooling, (or more dust?).

and that's all that I can really see. I'm guessing they obviously fixed teh door problem with it bulging towards the middle with the 1st P180s/SPCR Black Editions.

I feel somewhat cheated in teh fact that I paid nearly $150 for my P180 Black SPCR Edition, whereas this is only $130. However, I have to remember that some of that $$$ went to SPCR for funding ;)... so in the end I guess it's all good.
Good find. I wonder, are these new "features" incorporated in the Standard and SPCR Special Edition versions as well, if not will they be? I'm still unsure whether to get this new Black edition for its new features or to get the old SPCR Special Edition for its old original features?

I'm also worried about the effects of the open PCI covers.

These clips you speak of, they will help against fan vibrations? Or?

Btw... is there any silicon damping mechanism in the P180 the fans rest against (just like the siliconed cage the PSU is locked in)? Or would this be a mod you should do yourself?

gildenman

Post by gildenman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi,
Just received my black P180 here in the UK. Just under the barcode on the outside of the cardboard shipping container is "P180B V1.1".
As others have pointed out:

No VGA duct.
The front door is now a 3 layer panel, just like the sides.
Vent holes in the PCI slot blanking plates.
Thermalright style fan brackets to hold a 120mm fan to the front of the upper 2x3.5" drive bay.

It seems a little pointless to me too, to have dust filters and all those holes in the back of the case. They are going to suck in the warm rising air that has just exited the PSU?
Cheers.

BlueAvatar

Post by BlueAvatar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:46 am

I haven't seen these avaliable in Australia yet, but it seems they are coming soon. the Altech website has the first avaliable date as 12/06/2006 (for you backwards peoples thats the 12th of June 2006) so not too far away now. :lol:

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:47 am

psiu wrote:
Ackelind wrote:What is the point of having dust filters in the front vents when air is being let in almost everywhere?

The side vents (along with the bottom opening) provide the air that goes throught the filters? The only way it will bypass is through the cracks around the drive bays.
Have you looked at the case from the inside? Around the area of the power button, you can see straight through. Not all the air is forced through the filters, which is reflected as a substancial dust build up where the upper 3.5" drive bay is installed (or would be if you used it).

jozi

Post by jozi » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:47 am

I like the black better.
Only really posting for the email notifications on this thread, i cant see where to subscribe.

Looking for a new case this summer and black may just the the one, providing most issues are resolved.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:30 am

jozi wrote:Only really posting for the email notifications on this thread, i cant see where to subscribe.
Look (@ bottom of thread):

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat May 20, 2006 7:30 am

gildenman wrote:Hi,
Just received my black P180 here in the UK.
Hi Gildenman

Where did you get the P180 from?

Thanks.

cass

Post by cass » Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm

erm, maybe this is a bit stupid, but whats the point in having the vented pci blanks? wouldnt it be easier to just not bother with any plates and achieve the same effect?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Mon May 22, 2006 3:33 pm

cass wrote:erm, maybe this is a bit stupid, but whats the point in having the vented pci blanks? wouldnt it be easier to just not bother with any plates and achieve the same effect?
I haven't seen the new P180, however, in general, having a PCI slot cover plate with small holes is better than having it totally open because it helps shield RFI/EMI, of course at the expense of ventilation.