Antec P180 Gripes

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

wolfymik

Antec P180 Gripes

Post by wolfymik » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:55 am

We recently purchased the P180 case and I am a bit unimpressed with a few things.

We ran into the warping issue as stated my many other people. Antec did send out another door, but not the new version with the aluminum on the inside as well. May have to get another one since it is warping again.

The feet on the bottom keep falling off. It would be nice if the feet had teflon at the very bottom to allow for easy sliding of the case. We are sliding it on carpet which is one of the reasons it probably falls off so readily. I would think that a shock absorbing foot with a teflon or sliding pad at the bottom would be ideal. It would allow for vibration dampening and easy sliding when a person needs to access the case.

Magnet on front door is very weak and doesn't always latch well. The top magnet latches strong, but leaves the bottom of the door loose. Now it looks as if there is a metal plate on the door by the power button. Nothing is latching here...is there supposed to be a magnet behind the plastic that grabs this metal plate?

The side door latching guides break off easily. I have had to replace the side door twice. I have been gentle with the door and have taken it off maybe 6 times since we recieve the new one. The door goes on difficult and I think this may be an issue with the sheet metal bent improperly or the warping of the door is causing the plastic tabs to lineup improperly with thier mating slots. This would in turn cause undue stress on the plastic thus causing it to break.

The fan mounted at the top of the case allows noise to escape through the top. Is this necessary for proper airflow? If not, then why not get rid of it or supply an optional cover to a reduce noise.

Resolve issues with power cables not reaching Aux power on some motherboards?

Has anyone else noticed any issues?

If these issues were resolved, this case would rock.

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:08 pm

This pretty much a lot of issues i had with P180.

I would add the rattling noise on the grill of the back fan, when the fan was set for more than 7v - it happened only when the door was closed, and after reading some posts, it somewhat (hopefully) disappeared after i loosen the screws a bit.

Overall, the P180 seems to have a lot of non-solid parts, i doubt it will hold for more than a couple of years.
It is a shame because i really liked the look and features, plus it wasn't cheap at all. (when you spend some money on an expensive case, you expect it to serve you for a long time).

I'm now trying to resolve the top hole, they should have seriously added an optional plastic that seals this hole (which would use the same screws), any ideas how to seal it well ?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:15 pm

It seems like Antec has some design and some manufacturing problems with the P180. It is a real shame since it does look to be an otherwise really nice design. Hopefully they'll come out with a revision that addresses these problems.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 am

regarding the side door going on difficult, make sure you have the right thumbscrew holding the lower drive cage, it's supposed to be lower profile than some of the others.