Antec Super Lanboy resonance?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

barth2k

Antec Super Lanboy resonance?

Post by barth2k » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:16 pm

I know this is not the best case for quiet, but it was, say the magic words, ON SALE, and I vaguely remembered a decent spcr review for it, so I bought it.

anway, I'm now running the fans at 7V (5V just raises the temps too much for me), the CPU fan is akasa amber 92mm @800rpm on idle, the PS fan is also 7V and around 800rpm.

But now that the case is nice and quiet, I'm hearing this regular, rhythmic hum. Its volume goes up and down in a regular sine wave. The noise doesn't sound mechanical, like a disk or fan whirring, but like an echo of another sound. I turned things off to isolate the noise and I don't think it's coming from any particular component, but the case itself. I think the case is resonating. It's not a pleasant sound.

The spcr reviewer also hears a humming when running fans at 5V but not at 12V. Problem is I hear it now even when fans are running at 12V. I don't know if I did something to introduce this noise, or it was always there but now I'm tuned to it.

If someone had the same experience with this case please let me know how you dealt with it. For that matter, all other suggestions are welcomed :)

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Did you soft mount your fans?
Suspend your hard drive?
You could dampen the panels that are not windowed?

bryzzz

Post by bryzzz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:01 pm

ya ur gonna have to live w/ the fact that it resonates... mine does... but the noise isnt that bad... i'm not SUPER anal about silence... as long as its quiet... i can never hear my comp when im listening to music or gaming...

i'm about to get the last 2 pieces of my comp and then its completed!!! I'll post updated pics w/ better cable management when i get the chance