Sonex Mini Willtec

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Shadowknight

Sonex Mini Willtec

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 am

Found this link from anandtech a few days ago, never heard of this store or its products before. They sell some type of acoustic foam, doesn't come with any glue backing so you'd have to use some glue from the hardware store to attach it. $7.95 per sheet. Thoughts on how well it might work, given the shape of the "blocks" on the sheeting?
http://www.mnpctech.com/SonexWilltec.html

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:26 am

mnpctech is a legit deal. He's a case modder and has lots of posts at Ars. He produces first-class pre-modded cases and his work is top-drawer. He's been using that white Sonex in his projects for a while now.

I think he's also been registered here as a vendor for a while and I suspect a search would turn up some threads on this Sonex here at SPCR.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:49 am

What Ralf, too lazy to mention your experience with using the foam http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5259 and http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=6261

:wink:

Anyway, the stuff seems to crumble in less than 2 years in a hot environment about 2 years, and a bit longer in cool environments, so it looks like it should be avoided.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 am

Shadowknight wrote:What Ralf, too lazy to mention your experience with using the foam http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5259 and http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=6261

:wink:
Nah, not lazy. Just didn't feel like dissing it again. :)
Shadowknight wrote:Anyway, the stuff seems to crumble in less than 2 years in a hot environment about 2 years, and a bit longer in cool environments, so it looks like it should be avoided.
That'd be my recommendation, FWIW.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:59 am

There needs to be clarification on this topic.

The version I sell is Sonex Willtec, not the Polyurethane version that 2Cooltek used to sell.

Sonex Willtec is a fiber-free open-cell acoustic melamine material. Sonex Willtec is Class 1 Fire retardent. It has unlimited lifespan. It will not deteriorate under heat, UV light or other enviromental influences.

Illbruck's US manufacturing plant is here in Minnesota. I took the initiative to speak with illbruck after reading the claims posted here and elsewhere about Sonex. I first phoned illbruck and asked for ever was in charge of technical support dept. I was given Joerg Hutmacher's email who was on leave at illbruck's headquarters Germany at the time.

Hello Joerg,

I install sonex in customized home pc cases here in Mpls.

My business http://www.mnpctech.com

I initially planned to use polyurethane mini until I
came upon this reply by well respected individual in
silent pc community.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=sonex

I have since used the willtec (melamine) version as
per your suggestion with great success.

I have a favor to ask of you. Theres now a large
number of silencing foams for pc enthusiasts on
market. I'm the only case reseller offering sonex and
I'm confident of it's growth potential.

Can you please address this claim of deteroration in
manner I can present as response from illbruck to
potential mnpctech customers?

FYI: A computer case with good cooling will have
internal temperatures ranging from 82 to 95 degree
Fahrenheit

Thank you,
Bill Owen
5 days went by without a reply. I sent this email.
Subject: Status on this request
To: [email protected]

Hi Joerg,

I sent you this inquiry last Friday. (see attach)

If you cannot help me with this, please forward it to
somebody @ illbruck who can.. or let me know what you
think.

Thanks again,
Bill Owen

Note: forwarded message attached.
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:18:35 EDT
Subject: Re: Status on this request
To: [email protected]

Dear Bill:
Sorry for the delay. The willtec melamine foam SONEXmini is a great product for your application. Compared to conventional polyurethane foams, melamine has an unlimited lifespan.It does not deteriorate under the influence of heat, UV light or any other environmental influences. You can basically submerge this material in water for 10 years or more, take it ut, dry it and it is as good as new.
Polyurethane has a fairly short lifecycle. In your application probably not much more than
5 or 10 years. Heat and other environmental factors break this foam down fairly quickly.
Also, keep in mind that polyurethane is flamable and can ignite if one of your units overheat.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
Joerg Hutmacher
Business Unit Manager
illbruck Architectural Products, inc.
3800 Washington Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55412
Phone: 612-724-6755
Fax: 612-724-6604
Mobile: 612-242-3634

I hope this clears any future confusion about the difference between the Polyurethane version of Sonex discussed on SPCR and Willtec version I resell to my customers

Thank you! :D

Bill Owen
Owner of Mnpctech.com

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:59 am

Bill Owen wrote:There needs to be clarification on this topic.
Dang, that looks like it should work just perfect!

In fact, I just ordered a couple of sheets to use as a replacement for the deteriorating acoustic foam on the wall behind my cases and am looking forward to trying it.

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Tue May 23, 2006 4:30 pm

so Ralf any updates on ur package ?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 24, 2006 5:55 am

Volkswagen wrote:so Ralf any updates on ur package ?
Well, I got the foam and it looks/feels just like the Sonex I'm used to working with. I mounted it on the wall behind my cases (replacing the ickky orange colored foam that's been there for a few years). Works fine sound-wise, but only time will tell regarding it's longevity. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the orange foam that I have been using, and doesn't cost much more either.

(Props to Bill for the fast service! :thumbs-up:)

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 pm

My apologies to everbody for diggin up such an old thread, but it was all that was left and business has been... well, (*sigh)

I lost my inside contact at illbruck after pinta merger. Pinta's manufacturing plant is nearby. So I wasn't able to get the smaller sheets that I used to sell. Anyhow, after new negotiations, they're supplying me again after nearly a year of being out of stock, so long story short. I've now got the smaller sheets in my store.

http://www.mnpctech.com/SonexWilltec.html

Thank you SPCR!, Bill Owen

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:36 am

Well, as long as Bill has initiated the necro-posting, I'll chime in as well.

The Sonex that I got from Bill about 3 years ago is still in perfect shape. It's been mounted on the wall behind my computers with warm air flowing onto it for 15+hours per day for the entire time. It shows no signs of drying out or discoloration. It's physical condition is virtually the same as it was when I first mounted it. I'll give it an "A+".

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:51 pm

I might as well take advantage of this necro-post as well. How did you mount yours Ralf? This foam is so inert; I can't find anything that sticks to it.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 am

PartEleven wrote:I might as well take advantage of this necro-post as well. How did you mount yours Ralf? This foam is so inert; I can't find anything that sticks to it.
I glued it to foam-core poster board using that 3M 77 spray adhesive.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Well, as long as Bill has initiated the necro-posting, I'll chime in as well.

The Sonex that I got from Bill about 3 years ago is still in perfect shape. It's been mounted on the wall behind my computers with warm air flowing onto it for 15+hours per day for the entire time. It shows no signs of drying out or discoloration. It's physical condition is virtually the same as it was when I first mounted it. I'll give it an "A+".
Thank you for the follow up report Ralf, it's very appreciated!

mackworth

Post by mackworth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 am

Just ordered some of this stuff. Any idea the best method for install this in a case? I bought some of the 3M stuff. I wondering if it was best to install it directly onto the case or if I could install it on some type of semi rigid paper/plastic and maybe secure that to the case with the velcro or something? Does that make sense? I figured it in some places, it might be kind of a pain to directly adhere it to the case.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 am

I've always sprayed the backside of foam, then adhered it to the panel, or floor of the chassis, ceiling of case or 5.25 bays. Thats how I applied the foam in this photo (Compucase LX619 case)

If you want the option of removing it, I think your idea is great! :D

If you do adhere it with 3M spray, and decide later you want it removed. "Goo Gone" will remove the glue residue.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:48 am

We are stocking these Grey acoustical foam sheets with adhesive backing

http://www.mnpctech.com/Acoustical_Foam_Sheets_PC.html

derekva

Post by derekva » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

[quote="Bill Owen"]We are stocking these Grey acoustical foam sheets with adhesive backing

http://www.mnpctech.com/Acoustical_Foam_Sheets_PC.html

How does this compare to the Sonex (both from a noise absorption as well as longevity standpoint) that Ralf was raving about?

Thanks!

-D

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am

FYI: I emailed Bill at mnpctech to ask what the material is for their current Acoustic Foam product, and he says it's melamine. That would mean that it's the same material as the Sonex that they used to sell (though I believe that was thicker).

I remember there being a good, long thread about damping materials, and melamine seems to be good stuff.

If you want something that is virtually the same as Sonex and is thicker than 1/4", you can get yourself a sheet of melamine from McMaster, with the same ridged pattern and whatnot; just note that it's not especially cheap, and it does not have adhesive backing.

Bill Owen
-- Vendor --

Post by Bill Owen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:56 pm

I apologize for not having Notify on, otherwise i would have caught your post derekva. Thank you shleepy. The Sonex was 1" thick, which performed better than .25" melamine foam. We stopped stocking it for several reasons. #1 Illbruck increased the wholesale price 35% :shock: after building a new manfacturing facility. #2, customers were turned off by the White color. #3 Sonex doesn't have adhesive backing.

Our .25" thick melamine foam sheets, 16" x 18"

Using a measuring square to mark off the cuts

Using a scissors to cut the sheet