Open letter to case mfg (esp Antec) re: HTPC cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Open letter to case mfg (esp Antec) re: HTPC cases

Post by mrzed » Mon May 01, 2006 5:16 pm

I just got home with my new NSK2400, and before I start whining, I'll just say that I purchased this case because it was the best option for my needs, and like the review here states, it's a very good value.

I've been waiting a long time to put together my HTPC. Main problem being the case, and being unable to find one that is small, desktop style, mATX and takes full height cards.

I had given up, and I've been waiting for my neighbour, a sheet metal worker, to cut some panels for me to make my own case. But the neighbour is nice, not fast or reliable, so when the NSK became available, I thought it would be better to use my PC than continue building it in my head. I still stand by this decision and I do not regret my purchase.

However, as soon as I opened the box, my first thought was "OMFG this thing is HUGE".

The height and width are fine, very similar to other AV gear. But it is at least 3" deeper than my Denon receiver, and I thought that was big when I first opened it.

So, my next case purchase goes to the first company to offer me a case that is basically the same as the 2400, minus the padding at the front. I think this should be quite easy.

- Eliminate one optical drive bay
- Remove the HD area at the front of the case
- Should be remaining space for one drive horizontal below the optical drive, perhaps one more vertical in front of the mobo
- If need be, use a mATX or propriatary PSU to allow more room behind the optical drive

Or to put it more simply, if I thought I could do it, I would just cut the entire HD area away from the front of my new case, and mount my HD in the (forever to remain empty) lower optical drive bay.

I know it can be done. I know if it was done, I would not be your only customer by a long shot. The design should be easy, as the NSK2400 is so close. I still have my cardboard prototype, I'll even ship it to any case company that promised to build one.

stupid

Post by stupid » Mon May 01, 2006 6:53 pm

I don't mean to sound overly critical, but did you bother to get the dimension specs of this case and compare it to your AV gear before purchasing?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Mon May 01, 2006 8:44 pm

Seeing a case in the real world is a lot different than standing with a tape measure and imagining it (which I did). If I had built a cube the same size as the case, I might have had a better idea.

I knew it would be bigger than I wanted, but after spending probably 20 hours researching cases online, I also knew nothing else fit either. This case is a compromise for me and always will be. I was just surprised at how big it seemed when I finally saw it in person.

This thread was not to bash the 2400, for what it does, it is a great case. Good value, good build quality etc. The title is in hopes that people are paying attention. That's why I didn't put it in the Consumer Advocacy/Feedback forum. Not a complaint about this case - more a complaint that nobody is making my case. I suppose a little bit of frustration too, because it is so close to perfect, and that was what convinced me to buy it.

I am seriously considering calling around to custom fabricators to see what it would take to get the metal bits I need to build my own. I would hope that the fact that I am willing to go to that cost and trouble might be interesting to companies who make and sell cases. I know at least some of them peruse these forums occasionally. This may help get a case like I want made eventually.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue May 02, 2006 3:33 am

you should talk to Hyphe about custom builds.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ustom+htpc
Image[/url]