Quiet......and Cool..........

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

2Fast4U2

Quiet......and Cool..........

Post by 2Fast4U2 » Thu May 04, 2006 4:48 am

I've done a lot of reading here and other places but still have questions and can not decide. I'm wanting a new case to replace the SLK3000b I have now. I want the case to be a quiet, but also need good/better than average cooling.

An X2 3800+ at 2.7 with a Tuniq Tower on an A8N-E with a Jing Ting chipset cooler and a X1900XTX with a Sytrin KuFormula VF1 Plus will be the main components along with a Seasonic S12 500W power supply.

I really like the P180, but am unsure about the power supply cables reaching.........I like Lian Li's but am told of potential problems from their inverted mounting and heatpipes......

Help me make a final decsion as I'd like to order yet this week.......which case would best fit my needs/requirements?

Trunks

Re: Quiet......and Cool..........

Post by Trunks » Thu May 04, 2006 5:35 am

2Fast4U2 wrote: A8N-E .........I like Lian Li's but am told of potential problems from their inverted mounting and heatpipes......
The A8N-E does not have a heat pipe chip set cooler. The Sytrin KuFormula VF1 might benefit from being upside down.

2Fast4U2

Post by 2Fast4U2 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:54 am

Yeah, I thought the same thing but have read of problems with the A8N-E in the Lian Li's and also will my Tuniq Tower even fit?

Never owned a Lian Li and like I said, I like them, but still have a hard time pulling the trigger on a case over 2 Ben Franklins.......I want as stated, quiet and great cooling. I'd also love to have a removable board tray and of course, plenty of room but, everything I want in a case for a decent price isn't gonna happen.

Oh, also, I'm not a fan of 80mm fans.....;)

cmthomson

Re: Quiet......and Cool..........

Post by cmthomson » Thu May 04, 2006 6:27 am

2Fast4U2 wrote:I really like the P180, but am unsure about the power supply cables reaching.
The P180 is a great case.

If the cables don't reach, get an extension:
http://www.athenapower.com/sub/CONVERTE ... 20LIST.pdf
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=2514

2Fast4U2

Post by 2Fast4U2 » Thu May 04, 2006 1:52 pm

That would most likely be the best/safest bet. My concern is the 4 prong connector in the upper cornor of the A8N-E.......that connection will be a stretch I'd think.

Been looking over some more Lian Li's.......they seem very nice, but, to get the same approx. room and potential quiet/cooling as the P180 it looks like I'd have to spend $200+ and that's still questionable. What makes the Lian Li's worth so much more?

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Thu May 04, 2006 2:02 pm

2Fast4U2 wrote:Been looking over some more Lian Li's.......they seem very nice, but, to get the same approx. room and potential quiet/cooling as the P180 it looks like I'd have to spend $200+ and that's still questionable. What makes the Lian Li's worth so much more?
Looks and quality is what you get for the cost. The quality is superb. The inverted design is really elegant, I think. I like the separate PSU chamber, and inverting the MB makes the cable length issues go away.

2Fast4U2

Post by 2Fast4U2 » Thu May 04, 2006 2:14 pm

TomZ wrote:
2Fast4U2 wrote:Been looking over some more Lian Li's.......they seem very nice, but, to get the same approx. room and potential quiet/cooling as the P180 it looks like I'd have to spend $200+ and that's still questionable. What makes the Lian Li's worth so much more?
Looks and quality is what you get for the cost. The quality is superb. The inverted design is really elegant, I think. I like the separate PSU chamber, and inverting the MB makes the cable length issues go away.
When you specify quality, exactly what? Just the craftsmanship of the case? I've read quite a lot of reviews and honestly, I do read that they have great "quality" but also read that they are louder than the P180 and in most instances I've read, either cool equally as well/not as well as the P180. The inverted design is ok I suppose but I don't see how it adds any actual functionality to the case.

Not putting them down..........just simply trying to see what justifies the added cost.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Thu May 04, 2006 3:01 pm

2Fast4U2 wrote:When you specify quality, exactly what? Just the craftsmanship of the case? I've read quite a lot of reviews and honestly, I do read that they have great "quality" but also read that they are louder than the P180 and in most instances I've read, either cool equally as well/not as well as the P180. The inverted design is ok I suppose but I don't see how it adds any actual functionality to the case.

Not putting them down..........just simply trying to see what justifies the added cost.
Go to your local computer mega store like Fry's or something. Go see and touch the cases. Lift them around. Feel the interiors.

P180 is one of the best and solid cases around. Period. The other case thats up to par is the Lian Li PC-V1000.

Even P150/SLK3000/etc feels cheap and filmsy. Glossy surface feels like low quality spray painted chrome rims.

It doesnt matter which case you get, as long as its not filmsy and has both front/back 120mm fan slots, you should be able to quite it down with ease (no dremel lol).