Pleated filters for computer use.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Pleated filters for computer use.

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 12, 2006 6:22 am

The main problem with pleated filters (which work much better than flat filters) is getting one to fit your case. For this matter, I prefer a relatively thin filter.....about 1/2" or so. These contain many small pleats which increase surface area considerably. Too bad you can't just buy one that is an exact fit. They all require modding to install.....either to the case, or the filter. Here are a few I found that can fit tight spaces.

The first one on the left is a Endust register filter (Home Depot $6). It's 3.5"x8"x1/2".

The second is the type I usually use, a Nissan Xterra cabin filter (Nissan dealer $30 for two). It's 4"x7"x3/8". You can also get this one two inches longer (fits Maximas).

The third one is a Bissel Post Motor Vacuum Filter(Best Buy $7). It's about 2.5"x9"x3/8".

I have shortened the Nissan filter easily by cutting out a section, and re-glueing the end piece back on. Not too difficult. Like this...

I can guarantee the Nissan filter works, blocks most dust from fouling up your computer. A few mods and your computer can remain clean at all times. Happy modding..... :lol:

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sat May 13, 2006 4:49 am

When you cut out a section of your nissan filter's frame, do you just "compress" the filter paper or do you also cut out some of that? (from your photo the folds look tighter, that's why I ask)

I'm currently waiting for the next time I go to a certain supermarket (it's quite a distance away) that I know has generic car filters in many sizes...

lemons

Post by lemons » Sat May 13, 2006 4:56 am

Do these filters not restrict more air flow than the standard off the shelf pc fan filters?

I'm currently searching for some sort of filter material in uk diy stores and finding nothing.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat May 13, 2006 2:09 pm

When I shorten the filter, I cut out some of the filter material, as well as the side pieces. The actual filter material is not compressed. Those pleats are glued along the edges and the end. Shortening one to fit your setup is real easy. (the Nissan one anyway)

As far has restriction goes......of course there is some restriction. It wouldn't block any dust if there was no restriction. But with these the restriction is about the same as if you were using a flat foam filter. The benefit is that the surface area is much greater.....and it will go for a much longer time without any cleaning. I clean mine with a cannister vac.....just suck off the dirt from the outside. No washing involved.

Like I said......none of these really good filters is made for a computer. They must be modded to fit.

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Tue May 23, 2006 9:47 am

what about coffee filters? anyone tried those?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue May 23, 2006 1:33 pm

I think coffee filters are a bit too restrictive, but that's just what I presume.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue May 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Tephras wrote:I think coffee filters are a bit too restrictive, but that's just what I presume.
not pleated.
but this kind would keep out alot of dust and look slick...

Raygers

Post by Raygers » Tue May 23, 2006 3:56 pm

I had been looking at those myself, they would be fine if you didn't need a large airflow, they are a bit restrictive for what I wanted. What they do have going for them is that they are cone shaped so the surface area is increased. The ones I was looking at the wire was actually thicker than the hole, so at least 50% of the intake area is lost due to the mesh.

I wonder how easy it would be to construct or modify an electrostatic cleaner for use with a computer? :wink:

Ray

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue May 23, 2006 6:12 pm

Raygers wrote:
I wonder how easy it would be to construct or modify an electrostatic cleaner for use with a computer? :wink:

Ray
I think it would bring more "big" dust particals in to play.

Engine

Post by Engine » Fri May 26, 2006 4:49 pm

Depending on the degree of airflow desired, it would be relatively simple to just purchase a K&N cone or drop-in filter. Just don't be a fool - like the former owner of my 325 - and forget to oil it first. Nevertheless, you're really looking at a supremely high-quality filter element...but I'm uncertain as to how much flow you could get through one without it being "driven" by an automotive intake.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat May 27, 2006 12:23 am

Engine wrote:Depending on the degree of airflow desired, it would be relatively simple to just purchase a K&N cone or drop-in filter. Just don't be a fool - like the former owner of my 325 - and forget to oil it first. Nevertheless, you're really looking at a supremely high-quality filter element...but I'm uncertain as to how much flow you could get through one without it being "driven" by an automotive intake.
If K&N (and pretty much any other reusable air filter mfgr) is to be believed, it shouldn't be any worse than a paper element filter.... and I think regular paper filters filter to a lower standard than vacuum cleaner and HEPA-esque type cabin filters would.

Maybe Bluefront can confirm this. I'm sure he knows more about filter types than I do.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat May 27, 2006 2:36 am

All right....I am familiar with K&N filters. Their filter material is cotton based, and needs to be oily to catch dust. This is ok in an internal combustion engine....but used in a computer would leave an oily film on the fan blades and other internal pieces, such as a heatsink. This would quickly catch and retain a dust layer. Not good.....

Plus the whole filter needs to be taken off and cleaned in solvent, dried and reoiled....frequently. Also not good.....

Yeah there are different grades of filter material, providing different levels of restriction. The HEPA filters are the best at dust filtration, but are terribly restrictive, requiring much higher fan speeds. I tend to take a middle ground in the filter material choices. The filter material like that Nissan cabin filter works really well, catches most dust, and is not too restrictive.

But again....the pleats are what is important. Last time I calculated that Nissan filter had 4x the surface area of the same dimension flat filter. This is what gives the pleated filter a long time span between maintenance. Check out an automotive air filter.....every one is pleated paper (usually too thick for computer use).