Optical Drive for Antec NSK2400

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

graham.hawker

Optical Drive for Antec NSK2400

Post by graham.hawker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:16 am

Hi all

Long term reader of these excellent forums but first time poster.

I'm considering building an HTPC around the Antec NSK2400 and would like to know if anyone has any comments around:

- Which optical drives provide an accurate colour match for the silver front of the NSK2400 case?

- Has anyone tried modding one of the standard NSK2400 drive bay covers to act as a 'stealth' drive cover?

Thanks!

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:27 pm

I am building a system around this too.

and I have the same question. My current thought is to buy a

Pioneer DVR-111D DVD Burner Dual Layer Silver OEM

If this doesn't look good then I can go to plan B, which is rather extreme, and use Vinyl Dye on both the Drive and the case to ensure a perfect match ;)

Last time I did this was with Black, but just to the DVD and Floppy. NO reason why I couldn't Dye a larger surface though. That's the one advatage of the front panel being Plastic and not metal:
http://www.bluecouch.com.au/reviews/blackpc/black.asp

My other plan is to remove both faceplates from the drive, and try and modify the front bezel to be a stealth cover. I too need to do some reading on that

graham.hawker

Post by graham.hawker » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:04 am

I actually just ordered this case yesterday along with the Shuttle CR40 as the drive for it (link to drive >> http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4292.html)

Having not actually physically seen the case or the drive, its really a lottery as to what to go with, so I asked the guy at the shop I bought from (Kustom PCs, who have been very helpful to me in the past) and he thought the shuttle drive would provide the best match. Its aluminium, but its got minimal markings on the front and the front is also completely flat, so will fit flush with the front of the case.

Anyway, the case and drive should arrive middle of next week, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed!

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Excellent.

Which motherboard and Cooler combo are you using?

I am tossing up between so many options right now, and all of the best coolers that fit the AM2 are too tall to fit in this case.

graham.hawker

Post by graham.hawker » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:33 am

well the case and optical drive have arrived. I'm pretty pleased with the colour match - as close as you'll get it I reckon - but there is a bit of a gap around the edge of the drive which is a pain. i might be able to reduce it by tweaking the position of the drive or something, i haven't really played around with it yet

Man don't speak to me about motherboards!! Its been a tough choice. I've gone for socket 939 rather than AM2 because I've already got RAM for it. I wanted the DFI RS482 Infinity but couldn't find anywhere that has it in stock, so i've settled for the MSI K8NGM2-FID. The MSI is a good board but the one thing its lacking is an on board digital out. You have to buy an extra backing plate to get digital out, but they are very difficult to find; MSI dont have them & won't for 6 to 8 weeks. So i've ordered a generic one from the US, but as its not intended for use on the MSI board i'll have to rewire it when it arrives.

To be honest my probs with choice of motherboard are really just down to the fact that I didn't want to wait. If I had the patience I'd have waited for the DFI to come back in stock. Also if i had the patience I'd have waited for the Antec Fusion, as that would've eliminated the issue of matching the optical drive.

The cooler i've gone for is as basic as they come - the Alpha PAL8150T. Basically just a big hunk of metal, low height and i like it because you can choose your own fan.
link to cooler on overclockers: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ ... olers.html
I've got the Socket A version in my other machine and it works a treat

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:59 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments and Pic. It is much appreciated.

given I don't have any urgency, I might bide my time a little longer.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 am

The Asus silver DVD drives are a very good match for the NSK2400 and it's what I use for my HTPC.

I also use the MSI FID board and it should have come with an audio bracket that has SPDIF out (co-ax/rca not optical though).

The FID is also one of the cheapest bit-perfect audio solutions around. Start playing a DTS CD, pull up the Realtek audio application, click 44.1hz and auto-lock (only have to do it once). It will now transmit 44.1hz at 44.1hz so your receiver/pre-pro will recognize it as a DTS CD. This is a big deal if you're into DTS CD's since it's usually quite expensive to find a sound card/USB device that will do this (none of the Creative Labs, Auzentech, etc.. cards do).

L0n3W0lF

Post by L0n3W0lF » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:06 am

graham.hawker wrote:well the case and optical drive have arrived. I'm pretty pleased with the colour match - as close as you'll get it I reckon - but there is a bit of a gap around the edge of the drive which is a pain. i might be able to reduce it by tweaking the position of the drive or something, i haven't really played around with it yet
I got a similar gap when I installed an IMON VFD display to the case. I thought that the problem was with the VFD but it seems that the drive bay holes are a bit larger than usual.

Anyway, if someone else is looking for a VFD display and/or an IR receiver, the shade of the silver IMON is also a very good match with the silver in the NSK2400. And it works with Linux! :D