HVAC tape in UK

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Derek Baker

HVAC tape in UK

Post by Derek Baker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:39 am

Google doesn't give me anything for the UK. Presumably it's called something else here?

Found this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... pe&doy=2m7

But it doesn't mention high temperatures.

Thanks

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:13 am

What do you mean by high temperatures? Im sure it can handle anything inside a computer. The 1.99£ stuff doesnt seem to have backing paper, the wider Aluminium Foil Tape - £4.99 has backing paper. If the stuff with backing paper is similar to the tape i have it´s much easier to use than directly from the roll..

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:19 am

Yes, by 'high temperatures' I mean those inside a PC. The sort that cause the PVC insulation tape I have here loose its adhesion after a while.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:28 am

In my experience PVC tape falls off pretty much anything and leaves a nasty, sticky residue..

If i could find my alu tape i would stick it to some metal and burn it with a match, but i can´t find the damn tape. I have a feeling it would still stick, but im not 100% shure. At least its seriously difficult to get off a computer case, but thats not exactly hot.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: HVAC tape in UK

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:05 am

Derek Baker wrote:Google doesn't give me anything for the UK. Presumably it's called something else here?

Found this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... pe&doy=2m7

But it doesn't mention high temperatures.

Thanks
I searched google for "hvac aluminum tape" and got lots of hits, including various ebay sellers. Most of the ebay sellers will happily ship to the UK, so just choose the "slow boat to China" sipping option to save money.

It seems to be commonly called "aluminum foil tape" so you might look for it that way. It should certainly be available from industrial wholesalers and businesses that cater to the HVAC trade, even in the UK.

Good luck, and if you're really stuck I'd be happy to buy some rolls here and ship them to you. Who knows, maybe you could start a money-making business reselling the stuff over there. :)

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:34 am

I can tell you that the tape i have, wich is a cheap 50m roll o 50mm wide tape, holds on to a steel case after being blackened by a zippo at about 70°c measured with IR termometer.

I couldn´t test with matches as i said, i found the tape but lost the matches.. :lol:

NigelMSB
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: HVAC tape in UK

Post by NigelMSB » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:26 am

I've got some of the £4.99 foil tape (with removable backing paper) from Maplins and have used it to block off vents. It's been on for a couple of months with no sign of it coming off.