Custom wood cases by Danger Den

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

natethegreat

Custom wood cases by Danger Den

Post by natethegreat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Just thought these custom cases were very interesting...

Danger Den Custom Wood Cases

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:11 am

Well...that's one way to build a wood case. Use thick plywood all the way around, then use a router to cut an opening for one removable side, which you screw on the case with a bunch of small screws. I suppose the rest of this type of case is just glued together.

Apparently there is no internal bracing...it relies on the strength/weight of the sides to hold it together.Should work ok, but makes for a very heavy case. If I was making an all-wood case, I'd use thin plywood with internal wooden framework. You'd have a stronger, lighter case, with much less of a tendency to distort.

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:44 am

Bluefront wrote:Well...that's one way to build a wood case. Use thick plywood all the way around
From the DD website:
Options:
*Wood Type (Cherry, Oak, Mahogany) all 5/8" Thick Solid Wood
Bluefront wrote:f I was making an all-wood case, I'd use thin plywood with internal wooden framework. You'd have a stronger, lighter case, with much less of a tendency to distort.
So youre saying a case with a 5/8" thick solid Cherry/Oak/Mahogony side panel will have a tendancy to distort? While using thin plywood for the exterior is a good way to keep cost and weight down, imo would look pretty cheap -not what DD is going for I think.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:30 am

Furniture grade plywod looks exactly like solid wood. The only thing that gives it away is the edge. Constructed properly the edge is not visible. Internal framework for a thin exterior makes the structure strong.....like building a house, or an airplane for that matter. Imagine how flimsy a thin steel case would be without bracing.

There's the matter of wood expansion/contraction in various levels of humidity. I wouldn't build a computer case like Danger Den.....YMMV. If those cases are really solid wood, no wonder the cheapest is $800.....

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:03 pm

In my opinion these cases are impractical (price/weight) I just thought it was interesting that DD has been making these cases. Maybe they might get enough interest in them to make a less expensive more practial model for more mainstream users...

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Bluefront wrote:There's the matter of wood expansion/contraction in various levels of humidity. I wouldn't build a computer case like Danger Den.....YMMV. If those cases are really solid wood, no wonder the cheapest is $800.....
The cost has far more to do with them being custom hand-built than it does to do with materials. Custom cabinet work is expensive.

natethegreat

Post by natethegreat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:02 pm

natethegreat wrote: While using thin plywood for the exterior is a good way to keep cost and weight down, imo would look pretty cheap
I just saw your wood case thread - I didn't realize your were proposing veneered (sp?) plywood. That stuff does a very good job of simulating real wood and if done right does not look cheap. I thought you were talking about using just plain old plyboard :D