Breunor's Wooden case journies

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

breunor

Breunor's Wooden case journies

Post by breunor » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:00 pm

Hey all,

I decided to scrap my battered PC case, victim to many a mod, and try building a wooden one to replace it. My old one was noisy, didn't cool very well, and was pretty ugly. The new case is quieter, runs cooler, and .... well 2 of 3 isn't bad! :D

The first thing was to get better parts for cooling. I bought 3 yate loon 120mm fans, as well as Zalman CNPS 9500 from fellow SPCR member Masterwerk. As you can see, a big difference compared to the stock AMD cooler.

I used 3/4" square pieces to make a frame, and put 1/4" board on it for the outer shell. Here you can see the back panel and PSU being fitted. The outer framing was too close to the backpanel screw openings, and I had to shave the corner off to allow a screwdriver an angle at the screw for the video card.The motherboard was attached to a frame made of the 3/4" pieces, attached using standoffs and wood glue. Thanks to Bluefront for suggesting those mounts!

Here I'm test fitting the motherboard. Not having the new cooler on was a mistake; once I had all the new parts in place, I found it extremely tough to get the board into the case without bending anything. I didn't leave enough wiggle room in my quest to make the case's outer dimensions as small as I could.

I placed the new fans in the front of the case, 1 above the other, wedged into this angled opening at the front. The goal was to have a single point of entry for air, and make the case positive pressure. The front space was left for installing an air filter in front of the fans. With the outer pieces in place, it looks like this. The air is drawn from either side through the slots, through the optional filter and past the fans, and then to either side of the motherboard.

The PSU and HDD sit behind the MB, but I didn't build it with room for a CD drive. I rarely ever use it, and if the need were to arise I could access my wife's PC and CD drive. A future version will likely be self-contained though.

As far as temps go, I ran speedfan and cpuburn for a while on both the original machine and tonight with the unfiltered machine. While we have AC and therefore the room temps stay around 76F, I'm sure I have a decent margin of error. The original machine had a cpu temp of 50C and chip temp of 39C when running cpuburn, and was pretty noisy even inside a cabinet I have (with no back to it, just sides and a front door). The new machine ran at 39C cpu and 37C chip, and was almost as loud while sitting on the desk 2 feet from my head. For fun I unplugged the fan to the Zalman, to see how it would cool the cpu with just passive airflow. 54C cpu, 52C chip and 46C HDD was higher than I like, but that was 2 instances of cpuburn as well as a disk defrag, which it sorely needed. Under normal loads without a cpu fan, it's at 34C for both cpu and chip, and 33C for the HDD, so around 10C over ambient.

One issue I've encountered is a serious lack of fan headers on the ASrock 939 Sata2 board I have. There's just 2, for the cpu and chassis. My Antec PSU has a plug for a second fan built into it, and the pair of yate loon fans up front are running at full speed. The primary noise is from airflow, echoing off the wall right behind the case. Sounds like the central AC is running, a fairly low-pitched woosh.

The intakes appear to be large enough to allow all the air the intake fans need, it actually seems to be the PSU fan causing a good deal of noise. My next step is to get a fan controller which will let me adjust the voltage to the case fans, and then I can plug the PSU fan into the single header on the MB. I have a third yate loon not in use, which could be used with the Zalman HS for a quieter option than the stock fan. Then all 3 fans could be run at 7V instead of 12V, and hopefully maintain good airflow while dropping the noise.

I also have a Zalman VF900-cu in the mail to replace the stock cooler on the ATI X800 pro. I can hear that fan a bit despite the air woosh, and I expect it will become a serious noise source when I push the video card enough to ramp up the fan.

Future steps to take with this include finishing a filter (the angled pieces inside have made it very tough to make an airtight filter box to go over the fans), adding a fan controller to lower the voltages on the case fans, and possibly duct the fans some to improve airflow to the video card, or perhaps an exhaust vent to the rear. I might even start from scratch and try something else; if I could play current games with a mini-itx board I'd be all over it for making a small case. :D Putting the PSU behind the MB to make the case shorter at the expense of width, has met with mixed results. I think I might rethink the airflow and try a new design in the future, time premitting.

breunor

Post by breunor » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Here's another shot showing the intake with fans installed, with the side panel taken off. I added the buttons and the horrible paint job towards the end. :D The exposed wires are to the LEDs which I haven't put in place yet. Likely will put them into the front surface along with a few usb ports and the fan controller.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:42 am

Good work it looks like its going realy well. i like it.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:57 am

It definatly looks intresting :-)
Good job :-)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:42 am

Wood cases forever..... :lol: It's certainly a new ball game when you go with wood. Nice...

breunor

Post by breunor » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:48 am

Fulfilling 2 hobbies at once-computing and woodworking-is rather enjoyable. :D

One of the options I had considered, was to try and split the system airflow into 2 parts. The ASrock MB's agp slot is quite low, with 3 pci-e slots above it, so I'd thought of placing the PSU on the bottom and make the case so there's maybe 2 inches between the PSU and the video card cooler (still waiting on th eZalman VF900). I'd then place the HDD in front of them, and have a fan blowing air front to back, exhausted by the PSU. Then have a second fan pushing air towards the CPU, and have the Zalman on the CPU ducted out the back.

The other option is to go the route Bluefront did, pulling air into the system and into the CPU cooler. I was so-so about flipping my MB flat due to the case being so wide to accomodate it, but frankly this case is plenty big on its own! :D

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:22 am

I think with those temps, you can still afford to lower the fan speeds quite a bit. We'll see when you add the filter.

For the paint job, did you use grain filler? In my project I'm still doing coats of grain filler (although I'm not working very fast, I'll admit), I'm trying to get it as smooth as a heatsink (using the finger-nail test) before doing undercoat and paint layers... This takes some time with plywood :lol:

breunor

Post by breunor » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:36 am

I only used filler along the seams where my "measure once and pray" technique left a little to be desired. :D I was a bit grumpy working in the garage with the heat wave, along with slicing open a finger, so my patience was at an end and I cut the fit & finish a bit short. In the future, better measuring and cutting along with wood stains will make it much nicer I think.

I agree with lowering the fan speeds, I'll need to pick up a fan controller in the future, or maybe try the 7V mod on the fans and hope for the best. :D