what are all these screws for?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pepsi_max2k

what are all these screws for?

Post by pepsi_max2k » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:57 am

ok just wanted to double check this with people who'd know because i've never done a whole pc from scratch before...

just got an antec slk3000b. very impressed with how many little screws are provided. not quite so impressed with my knowledge of what they're all used for. see pic:

clockwise from bottom left:

1. twenty four big flat headed philips head things with the screw grooves only going half way up. this one's kinda obvious with the included rubber grommets, as nothing else will fit through the grommets and have anything left out the other side. so these are probably hard drive ones. i did think maybe mobo ones with the things screwing right into the standoffs and the motherboard resting on the un-groved part, but i dunno.

2. twenty small philips head screws with smaller groove than the rest and a flat bit around the edges. from previous experience i'm guessing these are 5.25" drive screws, they look exactly the same as the ones i get with optical drives and they dont fit the standoffs.

3. eigth chunky philips head with hexagon sides and a groved underside. same as case screws, which i'm guessing these are, possibly intended for psu use & spares for case, but they also look the same as pci bracket screws and there's not enough for much of both.

4. eight screws with philips & slotted groves, short and rounded around the top. as they fit the standoffs and don't look like any other screws i have, then i'm guessing that's where they go, except there's not enough to fit all the standoffs .

5. in the center, mobo standoffs. i think i left one off the plate when i took the pic too, so there should be eleven. sure you're much happier now you know that :shock:

so anyway, if you know any better then please lemme know before i mess things up 8) [/img] :?

slashdotcomma

Post by slashdotcomma » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:36 am

1. you are correct
2. yup
3. I've used these as motherboard standoff screws (I'm not sure if I'm right though)
4. hmmm... I'm using them for PCI covers...
5. yup

I don't remember having so little number of screws in my 3000b, I definitely had more of the little hexagonal screws and the round button top phillips screws.

Best of luck, and btw, nice case! :wink:

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:27 pm

The ones below the standoffs are the ones I've used in the standoffs, just built a 3000.

The other guesses are ok.

pepsi_max2k

Post by pepsi_max2k » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:23 am

ok just one more for those with a 3000...

what's with the standoff pre-installed in the middle of the case that doesn't have a hole for a screw, just a rounded top? am i supposed to take it out and put a proper standoff in there? i == noob :(

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:21 am

i always use the standard bulky hex case screws for motherboard standoff's, expansion slots, case screws.

if your short on screws, just look for a small local computer shop and stop by and ask for the ones your missing. every computer store i ever worked in has had a huge canister for all the extra hardware from cases that arent used when building systems for people.

pepsi_max2k

Post by pepsi_max2k » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:27 am

i just found out the answer - leave it in. it did a great job of getting the board aligned properly with the other standoffs.

but now i got another problem...

are the white cables on the front led/switch cables all ground? or are the coloured ones ground? all antec say are to keep the lable facing the front of the case, which ain't so great becuase most of mine have to face top/bottom instead of front/back. and my mobo manual ain't helping...

hdd led consists of pin 1 (hard disk led pull-up (hd_led_p)) and pin 3 (hard disk active led (hd_led_n)). reset and power switch mention pull up pins and pull down to GND pins, so that's a little better. but from what i can tell from the speaker and power led cables, + cable is at top and - / gnd cable at bottom, which means the lables face the back of the case, and the only clue i got from the antec manual is now totally wrong :(

EDIT: google says: white is normally negative. and with the help of the _p and _n, gnd and p labled pins, and also the little crosses i just found painted underneathe the mobo pins on the board, i think i've done ok.

google also says: it probably won't hurt if they are connected the wrong way round, leds should still work and switch might still even work. just don't plug leds into switch pins and switches into led pins etc..

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:52 am

if you hook up an LED backwards it will stay on, so if your HD activity LED is always on, its in backwards. the system LED doesnt matter since its always on either way.

as for switches, it doesnt matter at all. All the power and reset switches do is make contact between the 2 pins they are connected to. you can take a screwdriver and short out the 2 pins and it has the exact same effect.

I think the only one that might matter is if you have a case speaker for the motherboard that plugs in where the LED's and switches plug in. Not sure on that one though.