Neo Classic

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Neo Classic

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:32 am

I just read the review of GMC's Neo Classic case at ModLabs.net after catching the SPCR front page ad:

http://www.modlabs.net/?location=articles&url=enggmc1

Aesthetics aside, I like the look of the Neo Classic, and particularly the 5.25" drive bay at the bottom of the case with USB, Firewire and IDE slots - what a great idea.

So, as I've never even considered cases before and know absolutely nothing about them, I wondered what the board's views were.

I note that the case is made of 1mm-thick steel - would this make heat an issue? I'm assuming that aluminium is a better material for cases.

So, any views?

Cams

NateR

Post by NateR » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:18 am

I was interested in the price/availability of this case: has anyone seen them around?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: Neo Classic

Post by powergyoza » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:22 pm

Cams wrote:I note that the case is made of 1mm-thick steel - would this make heat an issue? I'm assuming that aluminium is a better material for cases.
There are no thermal problems with steel. Some of the best cases around are made with steel. 1mm steel is good. Some of those aluminum cases are made with such flimsy/thin material that the sound get through.

My only concern is the seeming lack of front panel vents. I wish the modlabs review would take close ups of the front bezel, so we'd know how fresh air got inside...

According to the review, it's only available in S.Korea and the Ukraine for now.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:48 pm

Well, some interesting responses so far. It seems that, from a cooling point of view, a steel case can do the job as well as an aluminium one, and with the 1mm thickness and damping, it seems that this case is indeed a good choice for the quiet enthusiast.

The only downside seems to be its availability, or lack thereof, outside of Ukraine. I spent a year there as it happens some time ago, but it's too long for me to ask a shipping favour!

My quest for silence is in its infancy anyway so I guess the case can wait. I'm still waiting for my Nexus PSU and ZM80A-HP to arrive so we'll see how those work out.

Cheers

Cams

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:25 pm

This case is essentially the same as my Ahanix Noblesse (although I didn't know that it was made by GMC?). Its a great case. The Neo has 1 more 5.25" bay on the top, so it must be a little taller.

Mine's pretty quiet without damping, so this one is probably a step better.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:41 pm

Yea that bottom bay looks like it would be perfect for suspending a hard drive, but i think the case is kinda bland. I really prefer a black case.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:50 pm

GamingGod wrote:Yea that bottom bay looks like it would be perfect for suspending a hard drive, but i think the case is kinda bland. I really prefer a black case.
From the ModLabs.net review:

Neo Classic can be found in white, black or champagne gold colors. We've got white.

:)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:53 pm

oh, well i guess i need to go read that review again.

munceyboyjoe

Post by munceyboyjoe » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:25 am

Like the look of it.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Any European Retailers?

Post by Cams » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Has anyone found a retailer for the Neo Classic yet in western Europe?

Cams

Quink

Post by Quink » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:54 pm

I do know for a fact that the company will ship you the case from S.Korea, where its based, for 120$. I tried emailing them a few weeks ago, about 1.5 weeks before i got my Antec Sonata, and i got a responase a few days AFTER i got my new case, damn it. Anyways i do have contact info and all if anyone cares. The one case they did offer me was black, but i can't get it cuase i already got a case(And i am really annoyed by their slow response, as you may be able to tell !)
Anyways my 2 cents.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:44 am

Quink wrote:Anyways i do have contact info and all if anyone cares.
I care! I'd appreciate if you could either email the details or post to the forum.

Thanks for letting us know.

Cams

fumanchu

Post by fumanchu » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:45 am

blink.net reviews the black neo classic

http://www.blynk.net/modules.php?op=mod ... /page1.htm

elamb

Post by elamb » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:56 pm

Are these available in the US?

elamb

Post by elamb » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:40 pm

Not yet apparently, but the foam looks too thin to be effective. Just my two cents.
Agreed. But I still might consider it since it's about half the price of the Cooler Master 710 with AcoustiPack that I'm considering. Any idea when the Neo Classic will be available?

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Sun May 11, 2003 12:05 pm

I was just on the GMC website and I came across this beauty:

http://www.gmc.co.kr/english/good_e_x21.htm

Man, I would love to have one these. If any knows where to get them in the US, or when they will be available for that matter, please post it (every time that I try to search for info about GMC cases on google, I just get tons of links to auto sales).

PS I just e-mailed GMC requsting info re US retailers and will post their reply.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Sun May 11, 2003 1:39 pm

That's one nice lookin' case! I'm still looking for the Neo Classic - sent an email to GMC some two/three weeks ago and have had nothing back. Why are these cases so difficult to find? I just don't get it - "let's make beautiful, desirable cases and then not sell them to anyone" - duh!

Cams

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Mon May 12, 2003 2:56 pm

After learning that exoticpc.com sells the GMC Noblesse (rebadged as an Ahanix product of course), I e-mailed them re availability of the GMC Neo Classic and Trinity cases. I have pasted their reply below. Essentially, it seems that if enough interested people contact them, they may stock these cases. So, get the word out guys :D

Reply from Exoticpc.com:

In regards to carrying the GMC Neo Classic & Trinity Cases, we are right in the middle of negotiations. So far we have not received enough feedback for us to justify bringing it to the US. At the price the manufacturer is asking, the case would run in the $110-150 dollar range. We are in the process of trying to get the price down.

Do you personally think people are willing to pay this price? If so, we would of course take that into great consideration and it would certainly up the ante in terms of getting the products to shore.

We welcome you to supply us with any questions or comments you might have before our company purchaser makes his decision next week. Thank you for your interest and taking the time to write us.

Warm Regards,

Cat

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Nice one!

Post by Cams » Mon May 12, 2003 6:49 pm

Thanks for posting Cat. I have sent an email to exoticPC.com to register my long-standing interest in purchasing one of these cases. Let's hope we can make a difference!

Cheers,
Cams