Antec Solo Question - Motherboard Screws

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

worlann

Antec Solo Question - Motherboard Screws

Post by worlann » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, so I will try this one. If it is out of place, then I am sorry.

I finally got a Solo case, but the darn thing doesn't list what each screw is supposed to be used for. Now, I can dicern which ones are the motherboard standoffs, and the ones to attach the harddrive, but that leaves two similar looking but different sized screws. I found that only the small ones could be used to attach the 5.25 drive things. Does it matter if I attach the motherboard with the small screws, or the slightly larger ones, or am I questioning my ability to install computer components for nothing? It has been almost seven years since I built my previous one.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:49 am

I checked my documentation and couldn't find anything specific to which screws to use but I also don't recall there being any issue on that subject when I installed mine 6 months ago. So I would assume its fairly obvious or doesn't matter.

Do both screw types fit the threads of the brass standoffs?

If so, do both secure the motherboard, ie - the longer one doesn't 'bottom out' leaving the motherboard fixed but loose?

If the answer to the above is yes in both cases, either throw i-ching or roll dice or draw straws or do rock-scissors-paper or eeny-meeny or whatever works for you to resolve random issues.

I guess you could also see if there is some reason one of screws won't work in other situations that are necessary to have a screw.

orihara

Post by orihara » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:02 pm

Having a Solo case, I can tell you that it does matter which one you use. The small screws don't actually fit the standoffs. They're actually just enough smaller that they can pull out of the standoffs, but not enough smaller for it to be easy doing so. So if you put the small screws in, it's nearly impossible to actually remove them, but they won't actually secure the motherboard into the case.