Drillpattern

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Schroinx

Drillpattern

Post by Schroinx » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am

I use my old coolermaster box for my server. After adding af few drives, I got concerned with the temp of these, as is was around 46 deg c. I have removed the faceplate of the case, and now they are down to about 35 deg c.

So the solution must be to drill some holes in the faceplate and mount a fan or two behind these holes. The easiest will be to have two 80mm fans on each side of the power button. While noise is not that important, i do not want it so sound like a jet. So what pattern allows most airflow? The faceplate is 3-4 mm thick.

Rgds.
/Schroinx

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Hexagonal pattern is the most efficient.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:51 pm

pipperoni wrote:Hexagonal pattern is the most efficient.
If you're thinking of the stamped hexagonal pattern you find on the rear of PSUs, I don't think he would be able to reproduce that very easily? :?:

The "most efficient" pattern is the least restrictive one, that is the pattern that lets in the most air. Basically the closer you come to just cutting a big hole in the case, the better. People usually like to cut out grilles entirely, but if there is a clean way for you to cut out large holes and cover them with wire mesh or screen that may work best.

Restrictive grilles/vent holes contribute to increased noise, but selecting slow, quiet fans in the first place would help even more and not exaggerate highly restrictive holes as much. Also, I don't know which Coolermaster case this is, but the air has to exit the case somehow too, so be sure to consider this, especially if you use slower fans.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:10 am

One big hole is much better than many small ones.

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:56 am

Thinking about it, drilling in a hexagonal pattern is likely to be the most efficient, except to cut big hole. I might go for 3 holes, so the center of the fan is covered. No need to sacrifice the good look of this case for a degree or two in temp.

Rgds.
Schroinx