P150 & CPU Cooler Choice: Blowing Down or Toward Exhaust

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

xenithon

P150 & CPU Cooler Choice: Blowing Down or Toward Exhaust

Post by xenithon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:38 am

Hi all. One quick question I had....I want to build a new system with a P150 chassis. I plan to have just two fans: CPU and exhaust. However this is the dilemma:

I know that if the CPU cooler blows air toward the exhaust, there is no real need for an intake fan at the front. However, I often see it recommended to get a CPU cooler which blows down so that it also cools the component, motherboard and RAM. For example, my two choices are the Scythe Infinity (toward exhaust) and Thermaltake Big Typhoon. In either case I will pair them with a Nexus 120mm fan so noise will be the same.

If I go with the TTBT (which I want to because the Scythe is twice the price locally), and have air blowing down, will it cause issues with the airflow in the chassis? Would I have to add a 92mm intake fan?

Cheers,
X

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:26 am

I wouldn't blow your hot exhaust air on anything that needed cooling.

I would definitely blow it out the exhaust.

I also don't see why that would make any difference with having an intake fan. I have both intake fans running as well as the exhaust.

If your concern is quiet, don't use the supplied Tri-Cool fans. I am using Nexus Real Silent fans. My rig is virtually silent.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:37 am

Yes, Nexus fans will replace the Tricool. However I have read varying opinions: some say have the air blow toward the rear, some say it is better to have air blowing down so as to cool the mobo components and RAM.

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:38 am

Do you get any airflow over the PWM components with that setup? Or does your board not require it?

I've got the SOLO, and hope to be putting together a system soon, but I'm a bit worried about whether there will be any airflow around the PWM (not to mention, NB & SB!). :)

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:43 am

Well perhaps RAFH can fill in....I have not built the rig yet so cannot tell ;)

kaange

Post by kaange » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 pm

What about reversing the CPU fan so it sucks up? This should pull air across the m/b before passing through the CPU cooler (although it might also mean you need to run the CPU fan slighter faster to compensate for the preheated air).

This should also prevent the case exhaust fan from fighting with the CPU fan in a blow down setup (has anyone ever tried to see how much this affects airflow/turbulence?).

Greg

hravn

Post by hravn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:20 am

I have no problem with VRM-temps with 2x 120mm Nexus fans at 9V and a Ninja (one fan on the ninja and one exhaust, no intake).