Loud P182?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Fastlock

Loud P182?

Post by Fastlock » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:08 am

I just got the Antec P182 case, installed it and everything works ok. But, man is it loud. I don't think there's any difference to my old no name cheapo case. All three fans are working, middle one is at high, other two are on low. Can't explain exactly how loud it is, but let's just say this: when you enter the room, you can hear the pc loud and clear. What could be the reason for this? How can i know if i got a faulty product? Maybe i've set something up incorrectly, but i'd think it would be related with anything else besides the noise itself. How loud is it supposed to be?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39 am

Hello,

Just installing the same components in a new case is no guaranty to make it "instantly" quiet. I doubt that you even need the middle fan at all, let alone on high -- try it on low at least.

A good case makes it possible to build a quieter computer, because it's air flow is better, and lets you use slower running big fans, and lets you go w/o fans for some items -- and helps suspend the HD, etc. But, if the noise making components are the same, then the noise will probably be the same.

What are you using for the CPU HSF? What other fans are in the system?

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:40 am

Welcome to the forum. I have a P182 too but am still building it.

Set all the fans to low, or even quieter is to get better fans like nexus real silent or the scythe ones.

How is your hard drive mounted and what gear do you have in the case?

Any case would be noisy with those tri-cools on medium, never mind high.

Fastlock

Post by Fastlock » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:53 am

Thanx for the answers.

I have 4 HDD's, DVB-T card and X-fi. I did notice about 10-15 degrees temperature drop on all HDD's, so i thought i should keep all fans going. HDD's are in the lower cage. I had a problem mounting them cause the rubbers kept wiggling around, but they're fine now, i guess. Is it better to keep all fans on low or just to use the top two? With all the stuff inside, it can get pretty hot.

stevenkelby

Post by stevenkelby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 am

I would keep them all on low but move the top fan to the centre location, at the back of the upper HDD cage, and remove all the grills and filters for extra quietness. Thats free and will be quieter. You might want to keep the filters, up to you but the inside gets dusty anyway and the filters restrict airflow and the grills increase noise.