Common antec SOLO issue?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Deusfaux

Common antec SOLO issue?

Post by Deusfaux » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:44 am

Amazing case.... but I seem to have found a flaw - want to know if it's a widespread issue or not.

For whatever reason, the small holes where expansion cards's bracket end is supposed to pass through has a small loop of metal preceding it.

That is, it appears the small rectangular end of an expansion card's bracket is supposed to pass through this small loop AS WELL before it goes into the small hole/slot you'd find on any case.

However the metal loops seem to machined not so well, they're not all uniform and most or all are too small to allow the bracket to fully go through them.

What you're left with is a card that won't sit fully into the mobo slot. The piece of the bracket that's bent over the hole and holds the screw isnt sitting against the case, its a few millimetres off....

I fixed it by inserting a long thin metal rod into the hole and working it around a bit to widen the metal loop.

The bracket was able to pass through it easier, and the part that holds the screw now sits flush against the case BEFORE screwing it in.

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? It seemed to be causing me lots of issues as the video card was not sitting in the slot enough and I'd get BSODs and such when running graphical apps.

Morten74

Post by Morten74 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:28 am

Nope - didn't have that problem, even inserting the Asus EN8600GT silent, which takes up 2 slots. There is a really good fit, but nothing too tight.

:wink: Morten

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:29 am

I had that with non-branded cases, but not with any of my Antec ones(Sonata and Sonata II). Was considering a switch to a Solo or P150, would like to hear more.

cienislaw

Post by cienislaw » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:19 am

hmmm, its looks like issue i occured when i put 7900gto in my solo, but it isnt solo isue. just bend a little end of gfx herring and it will go inside fully. first time i wanted to use brute force, but wheny my mobo bend a little, i started to think, then saw this small 'problem'. i used small screwdriver on back of solo, to push end of herring which was blocked. i had no problems with previous gfx card or my audigy, so its not solo but card issue.

Deusfaux

Post by Deusfaux » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:30 am

ill get photos up soon of the issue i describe

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:04 am

Yep. this is exactly why i returned my p150. My pci cards would not go in all the way. They sat unevenly and made me nervous. Ive had cards short out before because they werent in all the way, so there was no way I was going to keep the case if I couldn't get them perfectly flush and pushed in all the way. =/

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:57 am

From the sound of it, Antec quality control or assembly dropped the ball.

Any and all standard cards should slide in easily if the case was measured and aligned properly. The unbranded case I was using had the motherboard tray at a slight angle to the PCI slots, resulting in the cards sitting slightly out of their mobo sockets... really bad, but it worked without hiccups for a few years. Lucky me I guess, as all the pins connected on the cards without short-circuiting.

I've been put off my case upgrade by this, especially after my purchase of the S12II that was less than satisfactory noise-wise. How old or fresh were all these cases, any way of verifying date of manufacturing for example? Could be a faulty batch, and an issue that was later corrected... but if the same thing happened on a P150 and two Solos, it means at least two versions of the same case were crooked.

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:17 pm

My Solo doesn't have this issue at all. Chalk it up to a bad sample.