Case Cleaning?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

tsmvengy

Case Cleaning?

Post by tsmvengy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:14 pm

I have a little bit of a dust problem in my case, and I'm trying to figure out how to clean it out. I use canned air but it just kinda blows the dust around. So I'm wondering, what do you guys do? Vacuum? Use some kind of cloth?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Air cleaner works for me, vacuum is even less powerful and cloth will just create static without reaching all the dust. What you get done with 'canned air' is as good as it gets in my opinion. No need to stress about it.

If "it" is just blowing dust around, I suggest "it" adjust its technique. :wink:

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:35 pm

I use a (and don't jump on me!) damp cloth. THIS is as good as it gets :) And yes, I unplug the PC beforehand :lol:
Even better though is taking your whole computer apart (and I mean really apart, down to the last nut or rivet, or whatever) and washing the case chassis with soap and water. Nice side effect - when the heat turns on, you computer begins to smell like soap, nice and fresh lol :lol:
For "conditioning", or quick and dirty everyday cleaning, I usually use a vacuum cleaner or a velvet cloth. I think this is quite a powerfull method, my own vacuum cleaner is a Samsung with 1600 watts of pure sucking power! You can also try finding yourself a small velvet cloth, it picks up the dust and doesn't leave any :) You then just shake the rag with your hand and the dust falls off.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:46 pm

... it's a computer, not your bedroom. :shock:

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Well a vacuum cleaner could definitely build up enough of a static charge to be harmful.

I usually just use the compressed "air" bottles, just slowly blast everything out of the case. My own case I never have a problem with, because filters are the bestest. 8)

walle

Post by walle » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:... it's a computer, not your bedroom. :shock:
Many seem to have a somewhat unhealthy relationship to their computers in general, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that some pamper and care more than others, hmm, me? Well...I keep a low key and all that, only using Turtle wax once a month ,mind you; it's only because I wish to maintain my rigs in the most of pristine conditions. :wink:

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:32 pm

I usually blow fast shots of compressed air and have the vaccum in the other hand to catch all the dust flying around. Also remember to crack open a window, compressed air isn't exactly Oxygen is a very deadly chemical if you inhale too much of it. If you can bring your computer outside.

But really you should vacuum up all the excess dust otherwise it'll just build up more dust in areas were there wasn't any to begin with lol. I usually suggest blowing it out at least once a month, that way it's never toooo much to clean up. I remember helping out my friend with cleaning his after 6 months of use. He had a dust ball about the size of a fist in there lol (His room is dust itself mind you but still very large pieces of dust get trapped if not watched over)

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:48 pm

usually blow fast shots of compressed air and have the vaccum in the other hand to catch all the dust flying around. Also remember to crack open a window, compressed air isn't exactly Oxygen is a very deadly chemical if you inhale too much of it. If you can bring your computer outside.
Most common canned air "dusters" are just compressed air (pretty much the same as you breathe everyday but scrubbed of moisture and a lot cleaner) or compressed nitrogen. Some of the more specialized industrial products are fluroethanes but are even then of generally low toxicity.

It's always good to read the label of such products and follow any precautions listed thereon. One caution is not to invert the cans while spraying as this can release the gas in liquid form at a temperature cold enough to produce mild burns.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I can basically hook up my vacuum's hose where the filter bag goes, so instead of sucking air in through the hose, it pushes air out. A lot of air :twisted:

It takes care of all the dust in my computer, and a lot faster than compressed air used to do it. Make sure to keep the fans from spinning, though - the thing might just about take off.

scdr

Post by scdr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 pm

NyteOwl wrote:
Most common canned air "dusters" are just compressed air (pretty much the same as you breathe everyday but scrubbed of moisture and a lot cleaner) or compressed nitrogen. Some of the more specialized industrial products are fluroethanes but are even then of generally low toxicity.

It's always good to read the label of such products and follow any precautions listed thereon. One caution is not to invert the cans while spraying as this can release the gas in liquid form at a temperature cold enough to produce mild burns.
This may vary by where you are. Here in the 'states most of the canned "air" dusters are not compressed air. (In the last few years I can recall seeing one or two that were compressed air, rather than tetra flouro whatever.)

I use a foot operated air pump to blow dust out of computers/etc.
It is a bellows type pump, plastic, with a hose to direct the air - intended for blowing up air mattresses, etc.
Works fine for most computer cleaning:
Non-toxic
Never run out (eco-friendly since I had the pump already, don't generate waste of empty cans, not to mention whatever chemicals the air dusters put out).
Don't have to worry about keeping it upright.
Doesn't freeze my hand (blow one of those air dusters for a while, and you need gloves to hold it).
It is a little larger to pack around, but convenient enough that I hardly ever use the "air" dusters.
The air isn't so powerful that I have to worry about spinning fans too fast,
or stripping the silvering off of camera mirrors. (But it has enough volume and power to blow the dust bunnies out of a computer or power supply.)

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:18 am

I agree about filters, they save a lot of cleaning. For what gets by, I use 3M cleaning cloths, cheap and washable. Do a great job of polishing and are great for monitors.

Breaking down your system on a regular basis is not a bad idea either. Once a year or so. Maybe more often if you have a lot of dust.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:00 am

scdr wrote: This may vary by where you are. Here in the 'states most of the canned "air" dusters are not compressed air. (In the last few years I can recall seeing one or two that were compressed air, rather than tetra flouro whatever.)
Your thinking of tetrafluoroethane. While it is common, I'm seeing lots of simple compressed air one for cheap (they don't last as long). But for electronics I wouldn't recommend using it. Especially if it's go power to it. The compressed air will have moisture in it and you definitely want to stop using it if it starts coming out cold as it can cause water to condense. I normally take my case out to the garage. Turn on the giant air compressor, put a low flow head on it, or an inflator needle (like for a basketball) and go to town. I've seen what water at 150psi can do to someones skin, and I have no intention of seeing what air can do to a computer at that pressure.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:44 am

...I'm just gonna go now, keep dusting my computer every six months with a few shots of 'canned air'(that is air, checked) and living happily ever after. I'll save my strength for actual cleaning, plus I've got a car to wax and it's quite enough. Haven't had condensation problems so far in the seven years of semi-active PC cleaning with multiple brands of compressed air.

I don't look sideways or smirk at cleaning enthusiasts, it's what you like doing. I like forgetting about it. Room for both! What I don't get is why anyone would want to compress anything but air for average consumer use? Health hazards aside, I would think it to be more expensive than just bottling the good ol' mix, even if it does last longer? Also, if a product lasts less but is otherwise marketable(health, environment), I see a better profit margin due to faster cycling. Not sure if there's a can recycling effort going, but I've heard of one.

And the environmental aspect... I use a can up every three years with friends, who admittedly have their own cans too. That's as ecological as I'm going to get with my life. :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:26 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:What I don't get is why anyone would want to compress anything but air for average consumer use? Health hazards aside, I would think it to be more expensive than just bottling the good ol' mix, even if it does last longer? Also, if a product lasts less but is otherwise marketable(health, environment), I see a better profit margin due to faster cycling. Not sure if there's a can recycling effort going, but I've heard of one.
When something contains moisture (water vapor), it will condense on an impurity (like a microscopic mote of dust or dirt). When the condensate settles on a surface, the water evaporates and you're left with a contaminated surface.

In our application, we should have no problem using standard compressed air, but our applications are quite robust and are really not the type of use the TFE cans were developed for. They were just cheap to make and lasted a long time so 3M and others kept making them. More sensitive electronics and optics are where these were intended to be used.

The cans are aluminum so if you have a local recycling program (ours is done through the city along with the trash) it should be able to go in there. Otherwise wait till you save up a few can then take them to a local recycler and get a few pennies for them.