P180 - 12V Cable Behind Mobo

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

aso186

P180 - 12V Cable Behind Mobo

Post by aso186 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 am

Hi everyone

Is it OK to route the 12V cable directly behind the motherboard? I have a Corsair PSU with braided cables and the 12V should just about fit. My only concern is the back of the motherboard being in contact with the cable - should this be a problem?

Naturally, the alternative is to route the cable behind the plate (in between the side panel) but that will require a siginificant more amount of effort (i.e there will be drilling involved!)

At the moment it goes quiet awkardley over the graphics and right across the side of the cpu heatsink, and is generally pretty ugly and in the way of the airflow

Any tips?

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:53 am

Hi,

I have a P180B and an HX620. I routed the EPS12V 8-pin cable through one of the back, longer slots that the black plastic plate covering the cable holes hooks into. I had to cut a hole through the plastic plate itself to make room for the 8-pin plug. That put the cable emerging very close to the back, i.e. I/O panel side, of the motherboard.

From there I routed it under my PCI and VGA cards and up to its plug, which is northwest of the LGA775 socket on my P5B if you're looking at the motherboard as it's oriented in my case. By "under" the cards I mean I passed the cable between the surface of the motherboard and the bottom edge of the card in one direction, and between the backplates of the cards and the actual PCI or PCIe slots in the other.

The cord is in contact with the motherboard for most of the way to its destination and I've had it this way for months, so I *think* your idea is OK.

Here's a pic:

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am

What worked for me was to buy a 12V 8-pin extender (about 1 ft long) for about 10 bucks. Then I ran the cable out the back and behind the motherboard tray, up to the top and plugged it into the socket at the top left side of the motherboard.

I had lots of room to spare.

aso186

Post by aso186 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Many thanks both of you. I'm guessing mark that you had to cut a hole at each end to get the cable behind the motherboard tray?

Ryan, my setup looks very similar to yours (I have the HX520, Ninja & P5B!). Plus that looks a good option for me so I may well go for that idea :D

Thanks again

Alex

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm

When I used a Sonata case years ago. I routed a lot of cables underneath/behind the motherboard. Anything from IDE cables to case panel wires and various leads coming from the PSU and never had a problem.

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:46 pm

What I forgot to say was that to get the 8-pin plug through the case part (as opposed to the black plastic plate part) of the slot, I had to slice off the locking pin on the plug. It made the whole thing too big to get through there. The plug's plastic was really soft though, so I just removed the clip with an X-Acto and trimmed it down. It fits extremely firmly in its receptacle on the motherboard without it.