Bluefront retirement case project....ideas.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Bluefront retirement case project....ideas.

Post by Bluefront » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:11 am

I am retiring early......just cannot handle the heavy work I've been doing all these years. The company wants me to continue working part-time as their I.T. person.....I might do that for a while anyway (beer money).

Anyway, since I'll have more free time, and every single piece of my extensive tool collection at home, I'll be able to construct a new case from scratch.....no limits to speak of. It does have to fit in a certain space, since it will be my main computer. Here's the maximum size.....26/28" high on wheels, 19/22" deep, and 13/15" wide. Why so big, you ask? This will be a two in one computer......a relatively powerful computer on one side, with a low-power VIA board on the other (fanless). The computer will be constructed to hinge apart at the front. My initial idea was to have a 220mm fan in the middle of the case, blowing toward the standard board, with the VIA board sitting on the other side, in the intake path of the big fan.

This setup will have to be filtered.....my first idea was to have the filter in the lower section, with the intake at the lower rear. There will be no intake openings at the front of the case. The main computer will run off it's own fanless PSU, and the VIA board will be PICO-powered. The 220mm fan will run whenever either or both computers are on (they'll work independently of each other), sharing a common monitor. The rear of the computer could look similar to my last project, only wider, with the VIA board on the right rear, and the intake at the bottom. Like this....

Nothing is set yet.....so any ideas/modifications are welcome. Of course it has to be quiet, with a filtered intake.....probably under mostly positive pressure. I cannot use drawing programs, so my ideas will be described only. Oh......the case will be mostly oak, stained to match the living room furniture. But there's no woman around to give orders, so almost anything goes.

Got a lot of time to do this, so it should look nice, and be a neat project....

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Congrats on your pending unemployment! Uh... that's what we're talking about, right? :P

My suggestion is to drop the idea of building two computers into one box. Instead, buy a KVM switch and place the frequently used computer to the left of the monitor and the other to the right, two feet or so past the end of the keyboard (leaving space to write & take notes).

It simplifies the computer designs(s).

It's easier to mod/improve one of the two computers.

It vastly simplifies the airflow problem (and is worthwhile splitting the two computers for that reason alone).

When one computer is down for upkeep, repair, or modification the other is fully usable. You're not off the air.

When retired, you'll make more frequent mods/improvements because you'll have more time to think about them and more time to do them. I'm an authority on that subject. :D

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:03 pm

I've done a few 2-in-1 builds, and the are quite fun; certainly worth the challenge. Typically I just use foam mounting tape to attach a VIA motherboard with PICO and flash storage to the door, with an internal KVM switch. There are a number of cases that support a second EPIA system already, but I'm sure you can come up with something different.

My favorite case designs have always been chimney-type; intake on the bottom, encouraging a vertical airflow straight through, and a baffled mushroom-type exhaust at the top. I'd include pictures, but the only thing worse than my camera skills are my woodworking skills - the thing was so ugly my GF wouldn't let me keep it.

The concept was to put the most temperature-sensitive components (drives) on the bottom and the most thermally demanding components (GPU, CPU, PSU) on top; with a solid bank of really low RPM fans in the middle (buried in the middle of the case). By putting the tower on casters, it lets the entire floor of the case be a filtered intake (I used an HVAC filter) and you can control the amount of pressure in the case by restricting the exhaust.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:05 pm

Do you have a preliminary component list? It would help to know how much heat will have to be dealt with.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:29 am

Since the two computers operate independent from each other, if one goes down the other can be worked on while the first continues running. If the VIA board is on the outer door, you could simply remove it completely to work on either one. And I like the idea of a less cluttered desk-top, with most of the wiring funneled to the single unit. It does sound like a neat project anyway.

I have several unused Intel MATX boards, and a P4-3.4 I might use. Biostar has a new P4 board that uses DDR2 and PCI-E slots. I might try it also. I don't have the VIA board yet....still considering options. NewEgg has a Celeron M board with an embedded 800mhz chip...that's another possibility.

The airflow in this setup will go from the bottom to the top for sure.....I'll have passive exhaust venting of some sort. I like the idea of a 220mm intake fan, internally mounted. That would provide plenty of airflow for whatever low-power board I use.

The front bezel design is up in the air.....I'd like to make the front out of oak also, maybe with a stealth door that covers everything when the computer is off. :)

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:20 am

My computers have for some time now been just component boxes. I don't like reaching over to deal with optical drives or power buttons, so the tower itself lives behind the couch; with optical drives, USB hubs, and a power button extender sitting on my desk.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:54 pm

Tell me how you internally mounted a KVM switch......Did you have a bunch of wires stuffed in the case?

My monitor has VGA/DVI inputs, so by pushing a button on the monitor, I can switch between computers. The keyboard and mouse might be shared....still considering that part of the project. :)

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Yep, it was big enough that I had an AC power strip (small UPS, actually), gigabit switch, USB switch/hub and KVM mounted on the same side as the EPIA system. The plugs visible from the outside (IIRC) were the UPS' power plug, an Ethernet cable, KVM extension cable from the KVM switch, USB extension cables and audio cables. Everything else was internal. I'll take minor offense to "stuffed" and point out that all the cables were routed carefully around the outside of the case (or, at least, that is what I would like to maintain ;))

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:20 pm

How about kind of cubed.....a full Mobo---horizontal up top...with a hinged upper lid/box that has the bigfan right above the mobo when the upper chamber is closed. In the upper- above the fan and wounted sideways-a Zen PSU. There=the Zen sends no heat to the system-is near all the exhaust exits-yet it gets airflow as the fan blows up and past it..

There's space on each side of the main mobo (Dominator HS) as the bottom is the intake,airflow is managed by deflectors more than ducts

Just below the main mobo is a mount for 2 or more HDDs all grommet mounted to a common frame with the whole frame suspended.

Just below part of one wall is a hinged door and the ITX-VIA board mounts to the inside of that-so like the main mobo-its very accessable and east to open,with the door giving access also to the HDD set.

The bottom would be just about all inlet. A full but low restriction filter would slide in rather like on your other project. Dust tends to settle downward,and I don't think this sort of layout has the air velocity to lift dust up very well,so a light duty filter can do it.

rather than typical wheels/casters----I'd use bigger tires more like a dolly,with a handle up top. You could have tese in the front or rear. Larger 4" tires roll well over carpet and even up stairs (SLOW)

The case would be particle board lined with metal screen material (window screen) to reduce EMI. Use construction adhesive and put a skin of Oak or Mahogany ply on with corner molding...stain and coat with Man O War spar Gloss. Spiffy.

Probably the best place for DVD is the upper chamber,where the Zen PSU is and any sort of control panel could be there too.

I'd tend to try to mount the main mobo so it's "rear" jacks are on a SIDE. It beats pulling out the Puter all the time. However-----there would be space----so while you open a small door to access jacks----the cables follow a channel and exit to the rear...nice and neat.

It would be "Cool" to run a double computer all on one fan.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 am

If I get you straight.....the big fan sits horizontal in this setup, blowing upward with the filter on the bottom. No doubt such a setup will work, but it makes for a wide case. And it also turns everything below the big fan, into a negative pressure volume.

In the setup I propose, only the fanless VIA board would be in negative pressure, with the filter on the bottom. I have a severe dust problem, so I'm trying to keep the main system as clean as possible. I think a fanless low-power board would not suffer as much dust build-up like this.

I have one setup which is running now that I think could be turned into a dual-system with modification to the side panel. The intake fan draws from the bottom, and would blow upward between the two boards. I might try this setup first, before attempting the main project.

No doubt there are many ways to do this......but finding the setup that is ideal for everything will be difficult. :?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:12 am

That idea...which is an extension of one I'd been thinking of would mean a case that is relatively wide---but not very deep. Figure the dimensions of the main Mobo plus 3"--4". The taller it is....the less the dust is drawn up,and in the lower area the intake path can be tweaked some,you create a bit of turbulance,eddys,and the dust can get dropped or deposited mostly where you like. You can even set up some of that before the filter part.

Think about a mountain stream,if you analyze it---you can predict where the sand and silt get deposited.

Where the Water moves fast....the sand and silt are carried. When there's a pool....the velocity won't carry the sediment and it settles.

in this tower...which figures to be 40" tall or more with the initial bottom inlet a full square foot and 30" from a fan spinning at 500 rpm ---maybe less, dust won't tend to get lifted much. A simple pre-filter of window screen would stop most of it. Only as the airflow gets up toward the top and is channeled around the edges of the main mobo do you get a venturi and higher airspeed,the bottom half -there's a volume of air but less velocity.

Heck....if you can rig the fan to be reversable,once a week you could even set it up reverse flow and blow any dust back out the bottom.

The concept COULD be changed....putting the little ITX upside down in the Lid/box and the Zen psu under the mobo near the bottom-which is now the exhaust.....Then the top rear is air in and the bottom is air out. I think the HD mount could be below either way. Either way....everything is in the right part of the airpath and moving parts are not near openings to let noise out.

I'd figured a PSU could be in the upper hinged part by routing all cables/wires near the hinge area. I guess a Pico PSU could external mount. But even a mini Itx mobo has more connectors than I'd want up there. Okay......The ITX stays below....the Zen goes below but the bottom chamber gets a DIVIDER so the path splits,and the ItX board and the Zen won't pre-heat each other. The top hinged box part won't need to be as tall,will mostly be a DVD burner and the big fan...probably the positive pressure variant could be less tall by 6". I'd envisioned a floor standing tower,where the height helped minimize dust and while it's heavy-it's not a big footprint and is very mobile. It's viable to have a similar config-not as tall or heavy-on a desk. I don't think it would be quite as silent---but it will come close.

Anyhow.....just giving you a few wild concepts to fool with. The original concept got inspired by your rig,internalizing a 250 mm,and locating a Zen so it's not cross heating with the cpu,yet gets some flow. I'm thinking a lot about how a big fan can produce several DISCREET air paths.....in fact...I just got another odd concept I got to think out.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Hey bluefront....check out the Coolermaster Gemini 2 at New Egg....$33 with a $20 rebate = 13 bucks for a giant cooler well suited to a DIY bigfan rig

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:00 pm

ronrem wrote:Hey bluefront....check out the Coolermaster Gemini 2 at New Egg....$33 with a $20 rebate = 13 bucks for a giant cooler well suited to a DIY bigfan rig
Actually, Ron, I had the same idea a while back. I discovered the air velocity from the big fan was very slow, too slow for cooling the GeminII. While the 220mm fans push a lot of CFMs, the air velocity is low. Rats!

The big-fan is great for cooling the case and a fanless PSU (at least at my 2-digit power levels). It's not good for cooling the CPU or the HDDs or any other small stuff. :?

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:44 pm

I think the problem is with the Gemini and not the fan; those fins are just too close together to deal with low-speed airflow. Better to use the Scythe, and mod a mini for the NB.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
ronrem wrote:Hey bluefront....check out the Coolermaster Gemini 2 at New Egg....$33 with a $20 rebate = 13 bucks for a giant cooler well suited to a DIY bigfan rig
Actually, Ron, I had the same idea a while back. I discovered the air velocity from the big fan was very slow, too slow for cooling the GeminII. While the 220mm fans push a lot of CFMs, the air velocity is low. Rats!

The big-fan is great for cooling the case and a fanless PSU (at least at my 2-digit power levels). It's not good for cooling the CPU or the HDDs or any other small stuff. :?
I think with the volume-if you create some venturi effect----which would happen with this design,and the right set up of deflectors-ducts,a rather cool running CPU can be done. The Low end Brisbanes are about the limit. The 65 nm Semprons when they appear---will be the best bet. Your project worked from the fixed dimensions of a case. As you found----the Dominator worked better than the Gemini in that context. In this idea---the dimensions on the case are whatever fits the key components.

With the Gemini just $13 after rebate.....I'd find a way to make that thing work. :D

HDD's don't create a LOT of heat. I had a pair that I "heatsinked" by screwing on copper strapping a plumber had excess of. They were in an old system where an 80 mm in the PSU was all the ventilation the case got.
Probably---they ran hotter than ideal-but they made it.

The Big Fan strategy is not fully optimized by a regular ATX layout. I think there ARE configurations that should better optimize a low RPM 250. It may not be possible to do it at 300 rpm,yet at 400-450 rpm...whatever..the right layout should work.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:10 pm

ddrueding1 wrote:I think the problem is with the Gemini and not the fan; those fins are just too close together to deal with low-speed airflow. Better to use the Scythe, and mod a mini for the NB.
The trick is to channel airflow considering the air path on BOTH sides of the Gemini's fins-which at least are in a plane parallell to both fan and mobo.

How to actually make that happen-there's the trick.

PVC pipe may be a good duct material. You don't have a conductivity issue,and its rigid.

While Fin spacing is a huge plus for the Ninja---it's naturally designed for air paths parallel to the mobo,and with a big fan---usually airflow is perpendicular. Perhaps there's a way to align a big fan so the airflow works well with a Ninja,either direct or using a deflector/duct set up. I'll give that some thought.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:26 pm

All of my plans that used exceptionally large fans (>200mm?) involved an air box of some kind. The air was filtered, then accelerated through a large fan, then sent someplace useful. Ducting is one way to do this, but making the exit point for the air opposite the intake works pretty well, too.

Most of these designs are simply too complex, I think. A bank of 4 120mm fans running through the middle of a case would encourage plenty of airflow with virtually no audible noise.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:27 pm

The problem with PVC pipe is that it resonates like crazy. I suppose you could dynamat the outside, but it would still not absorb any sound at all.

fri2219

Odd project suggestion

Post by fri2219 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:46 pm

Ever give any thought to building a CCD camera instead of a computer case?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:01 am

ronrem.......your theory of dust not being much of a factor in your proposed setup is dead-wrong in my house anyway. For instance...my window air-conditioner uses a low-restriction foam filter. This thing is about 40" off the floor. I have to clean it every 2-3 weeks at least in the summer, when it's running most of the time.

My computers don't need their filters cleaned very often, mostly because they are not running that much. The dust I deal with stays suspended in the air, so any fan that is blowing, will be sucking in dust.

I wonder if it would be better to construct the lower platform, complete with the casters, the filter chamber and the intake fan(s), and then build the rest of the setup around this lower section. If I didn't like the upper setup, I'd just reconstruct this top part....... :?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:02 pm

I scouted a bit on ITX,It looks like Jetway has got pretty serious about ITX....they do several Via C7 boards including 1 ghz fanless

They do a 1.4 GHZ AMD Geode board....about a 14 w job---but it has enough oomph to handle a nice % of you puter needs.

They even do Core 2 and Pentium M. With some of those able to take 2 sticks of RAM or having dual Gigalan. For my needs-I'd stay with the MATX for the Main board...you pay a premium for the ultra compact stuff.

I have a thing that lets 2 computers share a USB device. That can mean a printer-but also a USB 2 external HDDs so your storage dump can be equal access. Rather than KVM a mouse- I'd do each machine with it's own cordless (different brands) Thats handy if you are running both units.

When I was thinking of building a 2 in 1. I expected the main to be a 2 monitor set up- but with one of the monitors set up for KVM. I could then have both on,one mon each or either on with the main able to dual mon.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:06 pm

This idea is a bit rough--but another odd layout thing

The Puter would be a plane type layout maybe as little as 8" deep, about 2 ft high and 30-32" long. This is tricky to describe- but on a 24" x 32" solid plywood panel,near the top, are mounted a matx mobo in one section,a Zen psu and 2 HDD's (in some form of isolation) in another and the ITX mini and Pico PSU in another.

Mounted to the bottom part of the opposite panel are TWO 250 mm fans. It may be fine to go with one at a bit higher RPM. The fan or fans basically pressure up a chamber/plenum that's the bottom half of the box. There's some room to filter this intake.

This thing is to be a DESKTOP case-but one that lives just on the back part of the desk,behind the monitor(s). Facing you is the panel all the hardware mounts to,mobos,PSUs HDDs etc. It is HINGED at the bottom so you can open it up onto the desk and even run it open for a short time. The fan (s) mount to the opposite panel-facing the wall.

When closed up....Air from the plenum chamber gets outletted to each of the 3 segments- MATX, ITX, Zen+HDDs,in about the proportions each needs. It would be possible to make the individual vents from the plenum to each chamber adjustable so you could fine tune which chamber gets more or less of the airflow.

On the MATX board- I'd go with a Ninja and the Board upside down--which means the fresh air first passes through the Ninja. If that board has a fairly cool running CPU, A Mini Ninja can be used, and that could mean you can have the whole thing a little shallower. I'm not sure yet how much airflow tweaking might be needed,since the proportioned feed does achieve a lot of that on its own. I'd allow a little extra room to do some ducts or deflectors,but I don't expect to need much.

On the backside,I'd scout around and try to find some sort of LOUVER panel for over the fans,that mostly deflects sound downward so what fan sounds get out won't bounce off the wall,it also means inlet air is mostly drawn up from behind the desk, so the fans are not pulling back the warmed exhaust air that is exiting at the top.

I'd figure that dust filtering is inboard of the fans. There's a couple of inches to work with. The system COULD be less tall by mounting the fans opposite the mobos etc----but then it has to be deeper-and you have more footprint on the desk. There's the option of just pulling the desk a few inches further from the wall

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Are you thinking desktop or floor standing?

Are you going to use a Zen or a PSU with a fan for the main unit?

I'm thinking of a layout where the footprint is about 12"x12" and a 250 mm (filtered) Would be in the top or bottom.

One wall would mount the MATX (or full atx?) mobo AND it's PSU and HD....and that would be bottom hinged so that whole wall could be opened even with it running. The ITX and it's power supply + Hdd would be on the opposite wall--also hinged.

I'm thinking each has a (sata)DVD/CD near the bottom so that the cable can be connected even if it's open. It can be done with wheels,If it's a desktop...smaller wheels.

I've got a rough idea now about mounting the switches,how to have some backplane attach so it opens full wired.....internal airflow deflectors etc.

Let me know if you'd like more detail on any of these 3 concepts and I can email some sketches. Any should be a reasonably doable carpentry job,a pretty rad layout but optimized for silence and function. There's plenty of ways to do the visual side---with stained-varnished wood,trim,hardware.

Ever consider a yardsale/thriftstore desklamp modded to be a fan mount?
If it has the reach...either articulated or gooseneck could work. You could mount a low rpm 80 or 120 and have it a spot cooler,switchable. That can be used in case open mode or as a supplement when the case is closed.

As for details....Whether it's a floor standing or desktop would affect how I'd do the main fan,and which type PSU would be a design factor-as a PSU and CPU should not be heating each other.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:30 pm

For certain it will be floor-standing on casters. The filter will be on the very bottom (I think), with a 220mm fan directly above it blowing upward into the main computer chamber. I think this might be the easiest/most effective setup. The low-power board could be passively cooled by the bottom intake fan, with the other board sporting an additional fan on the CPU heatsink. PSU? Probably a Zen for the main board, and a PICO for the other.

I'm still considering options, and checking available mini-boards. And I'm still working for a few more weeks, so this project hasn't been started yet. Thanks for the input....

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:18 pm

Formula 1 wheel case. One large fan at the top (behind the spokes), blowing upwards/outwards, and wheel mounted 5mm off the ground for air to enter at the bottom. These wheels come up regularly on eBay. A very sexy lump of magnesium. 8)

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:23 pm

Just want to say congrats on the early retirement!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Can't wait to wake up at a decent hour, maybe with the sun.......rather than at 4:15AM with the sound of a buzzer. :D

Look I thought about turning some larger object into a computer....like a microwave oven, or something similar. But this thing is going to be my main rig, sitting in the living-room. I could do a stealth job on it....make it look like a small cabinet or something. But nothing radical-looking will do it. Neat-looking wheel-project however....for somebody else. :lol:

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:30 pm

My woodworking skills are so bad, I based my chassis on a file cabinet from IKEA. I still wasn't able to make the mods subtle enough to pass inspection.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 pm

Bluefront wrote:For certain it will be floor-standing on casters. The filter will be on the very bottom (I think), with a 220mm fan directly above it blowing upward into the main computer chamber. I think this might be the easiest/most effective setup. The low-power board could be passively cooled by the bottom intake fan, with the other board sporting an additional fan on the CPU heatsink. PSU? Probably a Zen for the main board, and a PICO for the other.

I'm still considering options, and checking available mini-boards. And I'm still working for a few more weeks, so this project hasn't been started yet. Thanks for the input....
That works for plan 3 mostly. Though plan 1 is also possible-it's a bit more complex having the bigfan internal. Plan 1,at least as I envision it-would be really quiet but won't be under 30" tall,

Plan 3 can be 30" tall and a 12" w x 12" deep" I'd favor a handle + 2 relatively big wheels...sort of like those suitcase on wheels things----but thats because I have carpet. On a wood/lino/tile floor,casters are good.

So....Plan 3....the main mobo is on a side that can open from a bottom hinge. The MOBO....I'd guess an MATX Biostar T series 690 with an AMD X2 4000 and a Ninja....would mount upside down,putting the CPU nearest the fan and above it the Zen mounts to the same paneal and near the uppuer outlet. Switches-leds etc for "system A would mount near the front edge of the side panel. On the outside at the top of each side is a handle-that serves also as support when the side is open. I figure the Hinges are about 4" above floor level,and so 3-4" total height of handle gives the dual purpose. I've seen some cabinet handles and toel racks that could work---but so can wood,either a cutaway 2X4 or dowell + ends.

On this plan....the front is almost a solid wood panel and you can trim it up with whatever....router work...inlay abalone...wood moulding...metal

It would be possible to mound DVD/CD's in the sides- or the upper front.

If front mount---you'd want to go SATA if you'd want to be able to open a side and disconect nothing.

Just above the fan ( at the bottom) I'd have a front to rear V shape deflector/brace. This sends the air from the center to the sides-where the stuff is...creates some venturi so the speed/pressure is more. Is it enough for an X2 with a Ninja? maybe sometimes. Felger was messin' with a PWM Artic fan that could go quite slow (Scythe also has PWM fans) and can speed up as needed. He said there was pretty good control on how slow or fast and at what temps. Along with C + Q or Crystal CPU...it may be a fan that only spins up a few times a week.

It looks like Jetway is using solid caps on some of their ITX boards. These can run anything from a Via C7 to a Geode to a Core 2. The 1.4 GHZ Geode runs at something like 17-18 w. Some of the Vias on less.
On some the Pico PSU unit mounts righ on the mobo. Nifty.

Biostar's T Series is the only low $ mobo using solid caps. They tend to use a bit less watts-run cooler-create less hum in the audio-last longer. All good.

HD's. An elastic hammock suspension won't do in this setup. I'd go with a foam bed,framed in,screw some alum or Cu to the HDD side for heatsinking-and use mini bungees to hold the drive in place. This allows the drive to mount to the same panel as the rest of either system A or System B. So... figure 10" for sys A mobo + 5" ? for PU + 4" for HD and allow a bit of space,room for optical drives,big fan-filter- casters...and 30" is a safe guess,and if you need 28" probably that can be done.

The backplate - jacks-cables would need to attach to the side-perhaps with cable guides to keep the wiring togather down to the bottom hinge level.
To have this backplane open and close would mean angle cutting that section so it does not bind up but still gives a good closure. Might want to do a cardboard prototype to get the right shape.

I always thought it would be neat to have all the guts fold open for easy tweaking/cleaning etc. Spire makes a case that does that. This does it on both sides.

No doubt you will come across several enhancements or variations but I'd think this can be a good outline. If I wasn't so short of cash for now...I'd try it myself. 75 % of my puter time is stuff a 1.4 Geode can easily handle.

The Device Sharing thing is by SIIG,allows 2 computers to share 1 USB 2 devive. This includes Printer-scanner HARD DRIVE. I don't know if you can hook it up to a USB 2 HUB and have a HD-and a printer and scanner all shared. In general...I'd be content to let Sys A do print/Scan,use sharing for a storage drive.

I use a cordless Emprex mouse that has a docking station/sender that recharges the mouse and can also recharge 2 AA batteries loose. It's m993C model but I can't say where to find one. I THINK now Logitech has something similar. I'd just use one for each Sys. Use a KVM for keyboard, and perhaps monitor.

I'd thought a lot about building a 2 - in - 1 puter. So this is really interesting.

Something I'm not sure about....how does the big fan start up no matter which system is on? I know it's doable, but making it automatic is a bit beyond my basic electronics know how.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:07 pm

I like the wheel. It would be doable for a single puter system-not a 2 mobo thing. A small Wine barrell could also make a pretty spiffy case...a bit of an engineering challenge.

The unit I suggested for Bluefront would be a nice finished piece of Oak (or?) furniture that can look like art and have terrific geek appeal too.

It can be an econo web surfer,yet have the stuff to be an audio workstation,a photoshop rig,Do video stuff-even HDTV, be a music/files server......whatever. Between Giga-Lan,direct USB connect, a shared storage drive,each Sys has a lot of access to the other. Often an internal Bigfan at 300-500 rpm is the main moving part. Later...Bluefront might add a small SSD for the ITX end to really get silent

If you dont have fancy woodworking gear.....You may get the lumberyard to mitre cut some of your main panels, if you need,or at least cut the stuff good and straight. I use a regular skill saw-so have to C clamp a straight edge to get a good straight cut. Wish I had a table saw.

There's Construction adhesive in a caulk tube, Poly base,That is super strong and only about $6 a tube---great for putting a nice thin ply of Oak onto particle board or plywood.

Not sure about EMI effects in a wood case. I think stapling window screen (metal) to inner walls would suffice,if it's even needed. Ground it and it should be a cheap + easy solution