Custom case...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

logx

Custom case...

Post by logx » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:37 pm

Hello!!First sry for my bad english(I am Croatian).....I am making a custom wooden case, so I need help...
This is the picture of the case(i made it in paint, quickly)----> Image
I will paper case with leather...
So my questions are:
Is airflow good?
Are xilence and noctua vents good(silent and airflow)??

Cheers!!!

DerLjubljana

Post by DerLjubljana » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:32 pm

That looks pretty standard, but I wonder about intake. You have 2 120mm fans exhausting, with only a 92mm for intake. Depending on how many drives you need, you could put another 120mm up near the top and switch the 92mm at the bottom with a 120mm, which would mean neutral pressure (better than negative, imo).

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm

Standard, yes, but not "good." I made one very similar, and there are a few things you can do better. In other words, don't make the similar mistakes to mine! :)

1. The PSU should NOT exhaust from the motherboard space. It should exhaust from its own area. Try putting it below the motherboard, or if above the motherboard,flipped, so that it's fan's intake is AWAY from the motherboard.

2. Make a big intake space, and duct it, for the main case intake. Put the fan(s) INSIDE the case. Barring anything else, this is a simple way to reduce noise.

As an example, you could have the floppy and HDD with a fan behind them, or beside and to the rear.

3. Skip 92mm. If you can do it all custom, use only 120mm. If you are going with a C2D or A64 X2, one 120mm fan (I think that is what you mean when you type "vent") should be enough for the whole thing.

4. As a general suggestion, if you don't have a specific space that this must fit inside, think tall or wide, not long. You can make that whole case a bit wider, but only barely longer than the mobo itself, with drives on a side (and intake fan(s)), or have drives and PSU above the mobo, I can't find them right now, but try searching some. There have been at least two cases built into tall drawers, and they end up far better and simpler than trying to emulate your average ATX case design. Look at the P180, good HTPC cases, etc. for ways that work well.

logx

Post by logx » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:25 am

Thank you for answers!!! :D

sareiodata

Post by sareiodata » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 am

Hi.

I've made my own wood case but chose a different approach: bottom to top air flow.

viewtopic.php?t=39383

Also there are a number of other cases built by spcr fans that use the same principle (you can search the "general gallery" section for inspiration).

The main problem with my case design was the cable length from the source to the components, and I believe electrostatic interferences visible on my 19'' LCD (it might be from the power distribution network but I'm not sure until I'll try using a UPS unit.)

Good luck with your design and let us know when you're making progress.

logx

Post by logx » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:27 am

Hello!
The plan is changing!!!I am going to make a wooden case similar to Antec P180...only a 2-3 centimeters smaller...The job will start at the weekend, so you can expect first steps at the weekend...

logx

Post by logx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:24 pm

Hello!!!Over the weekend i cut the MDF and prepare it.....
And this is what it should look inside...
Is the airflow good?Are xilence vents good(120mm)??
And that vent in PSU how should i turn it????To be up or to cut the hole to the bottom and turn it down???

Cheers!!! :)