Help: Difference between Antec Solo and 182

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

crazyox

Help: Difference between Antec Solo and 182

Post by crazyox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:50 pm

1) I am wondering what makes the 182 about $60 more than the 182. Does the Solo have no tri-cool and does that really matter if the fans are replaced with low rpm Scythe fans.

2) Will either be suitable for use with a fanless PSU without routing the case etc. (I don't mind changing the fans, though I wonder how much difference that makes at very low RPM settings.

3) Do both come with the suspension elastics and has the problem with them been fixed (breaking frequently). I would be inclined to use three Sycthe silencers anyway, but will there be sufficent cooling in the case if all four 5.25 inch bays are used (1 for optical, three for harddrives)

4) If such a case is used can I still use a Syche fanless Heatsink, and if so, how does one convince the mobo that the fans are working properly and disable mobo from changing the fan speeds). Thanks.

soma

Post by soma » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 am

1. The 182 is bigger, has a front door, lower power supply / hard drive mounting area, and better cable management. The Solo has a single tri-cool 120mm exhaust (and optional 2x92mm intake fans). If you are going to change fans then this should not be part of your decision.

2. Probably but I would expect that the 182, with the power supply in the bottom would be the better option.

3. 182 does not come with suspension though modding it is not difficult. The Solo has now fixed the straps so they are much more robust.

4. I assume you can use the fanless heatsink, depends on airflow through the case and the heat generated by your other components. I am not sure I understand the question about the motherboard and fan. If you do not want a fan on your heatsink then just disable the fan warning and speed changing in bios.

crazyox

Post by crazyox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 am

soma wrote:1. The 182 is bigger, has a front door, lower power supply / hard drive mounting area, and better cable management. The Solo has a single tri-cool 120mm exhaust (and optional 2x92mm intake fans). If you are going to change fans then this should not be part of your decision.

2. Probably but I would expect that the 182, with the power supply in the bottom would be the better option.

3. 182 does not come with suspension though modding it is not difficult. The Solo has now fixed the straps so they are much more robust.

4. I assume you can use the fanless heatsink, depends on airflow through the case and the heat generated by your other components. I am not sure I understand the question about the motherboard and fan. If you do not want a fan on your heatsink then just disable the fan warning and speed changing in bios.
Thanks. I did not know how to do that with the HP motherboard I worked with because it would not boot at all without fans attached.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 am

Mounting 3,5" HDD('s) in Scythe Quiet Drive(s) in the standard 5,25" in a standard mount, will NOT be quiet. You'll need to suspend them. And no the rubber-like-thingy, which is included with a SQD, will not do as suspension.

Why 3 disks? for quietness, you'll be better of with one big disk, instead of several small ones.

It's not easy to have more than one suspended SQD in a P182. Maybe a little easier in a Solo? But for dual disk, I'll suggest a 2,5" suspended for system and pprograms. Maybe most frequently used data also. And then a big 3,5" in a SQD and suspended. The secondary big one might even be slowed down, when not in use. Easy with Hitachi disks-

Now, there's differences between 3,5" disks, and the same goes for 2,5". But I'll tend to claim that a good bare 2,5" is quiter than a 3,5" in a SQD. At least it's the case with the disks I got.

With my 3,5" Hitachi in a SQD, it's good for idle noise and temp. But the SQD actually amplifies seeks - sigh !

Best regards,
Thomas

Towermax

Post by Towermax » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:07 am

crazyox wrote: Thanks. I did not know how to do that with the HP motherboard I worked with because it would not boot at all without fans attached.
If it's like some of the HP motherboards I've worked with, you can push F10 or F11 (forget which) during boot-up and get an additional bios menu that allows you to disable the fan warnings.