Alternatives to Antec Cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

crazyox

Alternatives to Antec Cases

Post by crazyox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

This case is for building an entire system from scratch.

I am interested in alternatives to the Antec cases, not because there is anything wrong with them from what I've heard, but I just want something to compare to.

I really don't much like the looks of the Solo...I prefer something that is all black.

I am uncertain how I feel about the front door on the 182...I have heard that they are a little flimsy and definitely a nusaince, though they do look sharp.

The main thing is keeping the system as quiet as possible though, and still meet the minimum cooling requirements.

I ned space for at least two suspended harddrives, probably three do to the nature of Audio Workstation requirements as opposed to mere Gb size (which for me is met by even a total of 200 Gb

I would prefer to have an internal optical drive, but that is not mandatory...same goes for floppy drive and/or card reader

I would like the case to have some kind of acoustic deadening/silencing insulation or equivalent material (like the Antec cases have), since I don't want to add any myself. I also want to avoid routing if possible.

The case would most likely not include a PSU, unless it was a really quiet one.

Fans don't matter as long as the case has pre-routed spots for fans, most likely for 2 120mm Sycthe case fans.

Thanks to everyone, and any other suggestions for building my computer are helpful.

Klasital

Post by Klasital » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm

PC-S80 is nice

crazyox

Post by crazyox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Klasital wrote:PC-S80 is nice
Unfortunately not an option do to availability and the cost differntial seeming to much for the difference...but possible...thanks

Khrono Devil

Post by Khrono Devil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 am

well you mention you work with alot of audio so I would suggest the P182 it is still antec but it is a very quiet case and you don't want to be hearing the PC over audio.

The P180 is the only case that comes with "pre installed" damping that I know of. The front door on the 182 it seems flimsy but it is quiet durable.

Cooler Master make a nice 690 case, its cheap, quiet ( with the right fans ) and has lots of cooling.

crazyox

Post by crazyox » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 am

Did you mwan that the p180 is quieter for DAW or the p182...I got a little mixed up when you said only p180 had dampening.

I was under the impression that the p182 is made of a triple ply chassis and that the plastic middle layer eacts as a sound absorber and vibration deadener.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:51 am

crazyox wrote:Did you mwan that the p180 is quieter for DAW or the p182...I got a little mixed up when you said only p180 had dampening.
It's the same case, just different colour scheme.

As far as alternatives to Antec, maybe you should check out a few Lian-Li cases. I recently ordered the Lian-Li A05b to make another quiet PC in myself.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Cooler Master cases? Maybe Silverstone?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Akasa has had some pretty good cases, like the Zen.

Revoltec has had some intresting cases.

Sharkoon has some very intresting cases in 40 to 70 € price range.

HEC / Compucase has had very good, ultra-cheap cases, which do require modification but have served me thru 3 computer projects well.

Lastly but not least, I concur with Coolermaster. CM690 looks promising and both Elite and Centurion series are affordable.

geekgeek

Post by geekgeek » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 pm

I use a NZXT Hush, which is the only other case I know of apart from the P182 that has built in acoustic damping.

I had wanted to get the P182 originally, but in the end I decided to save the moolah and put it towards my other components instead, and I've found the NZXT Hush to be a good compromise.

You can check out the casing here: http://www.nzxt.com/products/hush/