P182B + Scythe Slipstream question

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

P182B + Scythe Slipstream question

Post by thejamppa » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:14 pm

I am finally getting New Scythe Slipstream fans as first retailer in Finland listed them for sale around 16 €'s each. I placed order 800 RPM fan which will replicate old trusty undervolted Nexus Real Silent as exhaust fan.

Now question is fan arrangement. I am planning to keep front Nexus undervolted around 6-7v and put on the middle chamber the 500 RPM Slipstream to blow over NB, HR-03 and And Ninja which are all passive..

The top exhaust is sealed with thick sorthabone pad and I have Scythe kamaBay on front without fan.

Now I am just wondering how much noise will come from 500 RPM scythe slipstream at 12v? ( I could put all fans if necessary on Fan controller I currently have )

Does my fan arrangement sound good?

Is the front nexus fan unnecessary with that fan configuration? I have fan filter in front and that's why I am bit unwilling to put low-static pressure fan on front and putting 500 rpm slipstream on middle chamber position I could get more air flow over NB and passive HR-03 than mounting it front... At least that is how it would seem when I use my logic.

ugrakarma

Post by ugrakarma » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:55 pm

http://www.kmelektronik.de/main_site/ma ... 796&Shop=0

I'd think twice before ordering them from Finland with the current prices. Naturally if there's nothing else to order it makes sense but still... Coolputer has fast shipments but the prices are somewhat ridiculous. Then again I'm somewhat jaded to them by now.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 pm

BTW, I would recommend against blocking off the upper fan outlet on the P182 unless there are some special needs. The use of two, large outlets is probably meant to decrease the air velocity through the fan openings, which reduces the airflow noise. Blocking off one of those would raise the air velocity through the other back outlet, which would usually increase its noise.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:51 am

jeffc wrote:BTW, I would recommend against blocking off the upper fan outlet on the P182 unless there are some special needs. The use of two, large outlets is probably meant to decrease the air velocity through the fan openings, which reduces the airflow noise. Blocking off one of those would raise the air velocity through the other back outlet, which would usually increase its noise.
It sounds good in theory, but doesn't quite work like that in practice. Noise that has a straight shot to your ear will be louder at the same noise produced than one that is not. The top fan, in my experience has made it louder with no real gains cooling. I blocked off the top and my OC'd E6750 doesn't even make it to 50C when running Orthos.

I run a Slip Stream (1,200 RPM) as an intake and one as an exhaust and when I undervolt them, they are very quiet. I doubt you'll hear a 500 RPM Slip Stream.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 am

I have a 500 and 1200rpm slipstream in my system, and both are very quiet. I cannot hear the 500 on my Accelero at all, the 1200 i can only hear when i open the side of the case and get within about a meter of the fan.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:25 pm

yamahaSHO wrote:It sounds good in theory, but doesn't quite work like that in practice. Noise that has a straight shot to your ear will be louder at the same noise produced than one that is not. The top fan, in my experience has made it louder with no real gains cooling. I blocked off the top and my OC'd E6750 doesn't even make it to 50C when running Orthos.

I run a Slip Stream (1,200 RPM) as an intake and one as an exhaust and when I undervolt them, they are very quiet. I doubt you'll hear a 500 RPM Slip Stream.
I actually have a custom radiator box on top of my case, above the top vent (but with Sorbothane standoff feet so the air can come out), so there's no direct path for the sound.... :)

BTW, What's the starting voltage on the Slipstream 1200 and 1600 please?

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:52 am

2.3v for the 1200 RPM version.

jeffc

Post by jeffc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 am

EndoSteel wrote:2.3v for the 1200 RPM version.
Thanks! I just ordered a couple of them to try.