My Antec P150 suspension rings broke

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

My Antec P150 suspension rings broke

Post by Shining Arcanine » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:28 pm

I opened my computer to replace a replacement Antec Phantom 500 (which Antec sent me to replace an Antec Phantom 350 that died under warranty) with a Fortron FSP 300 PSU today. It was a long overdue replacement, as my media center PC became very noisy about six months ago when I did the replacement, but I did not do the replacement until today.

My computer is now quiet again, but when I opened my case, I discovered to my surprise that one of the suspension rings around the hard drive broke. When I tried putting the hard drive into two suspension rings below the position where it was previously mounted, one of those broke too. I currently have it mounted on the third set of suspension rings, but I am worried that those will break soon too. What should I do?
Last edited by Shining Arcanine on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello,

You could email Antec and ask them for replacements -- they have a different design now, and they have been known to supply them gratis.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 am

I seem to have made an error. My case is the P150, not the P160. Sorry about that.

Anyway, are the replacement rings from Antec the same or have they changed from what they originally shipped?

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:Anyway, are the replacement rings from Antec the same or have they changed from what they originally shipped?
They changed... oh about a year or two ago. The original P150 rings were just rubber, the new rings are sort of elasticated fabric stuff (like knicker elastic). Presumably if you got replacements they'd be the new design.

My original P150 rings perished and broke, those in my Solo were the new design and whilst they haven't broken they've certainly distended and aren't as elastic as they were when new. Ie. the new design is better, but not ideal.

Shining Arcanine
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shining Arcanine » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:00 am

Okay, I sent Antec an email via their online form. Hopefully, they are still sending out replacements.

Update: I received an email from Antec. Their customer support agent says that they can send me the upgraded elastic bands and asked for a shipping address. I replied with my address and I hope to get the upgraded bands soon.